SRS fucking crazy waiter. read my rant email to the resturaunt.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jared_IRL, Apr 12, 2009.

1. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

This is in response to a situation I found myself in today at the Standard Tap in Philadelphia. I'm still fucking confused about the whole thing.

I just had to get that off my chest. I don't even know if I was really right or wrong here. But the way the fucking douchebag treated the situation, me, and the kid have just left SUCH a bad taste in my mouth. I've gotten a TON of compliments for how calm and collected I was during the entire thing, but inside i've been fucking steaming the entire time.

Thoughts? criticisms? reactions?

2. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

You handled it better than I would have. Props. :bowdown:

My son is mildly autistic; I recognize his limitations, and ask nothing of others but basic common courtesy. This was not given in your case.

3. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

:bowdown:

Well played. Congratulations.

I hope they try to make things right, because that's absolutely uncalled for.

4. demosnat

demosnat New Member

Wow, as a server I was pretty much prepared to tell you to let it go, but Jesus, thats insane.

I have been in situations, especially with kids, where people bring in outside food, it fucking happens. The appropriate response is "i'm really sorry sir/ma'am, but its a health code violation to have outside food in here, and on the off chance someone in here is with the health department or wants to be a jerk, we can get fined heavily" at this point you chat about how fucked up city codes are, and move on with your day.
    The only thing I would say is take out the parts about going to the media/papers. It makes you sounds like you're being threatening for the sake of being threatening (I know you aren't but you have to understand the situation that the letter is being received in) and just makes room for the server to say you were the crazy one, or that you were never actually there and thats why you don't have the servers name. You would be shocked at how often people make up shit to get free stuff, so managers are on the look out.
    Good luck man.

5. Cock Diesel

Cock Diesel New Member

You handled it much better than I would have. If I was in that position, he would have been eating silverware. Hopefully the restaurant will make things right, and they might understand why you'd be loath to come back at all. If not, you have a perfectly good reason to alert the local news to this, if only to shine a well-needed spotlight on such douchebaggery.

6. illmaceyougood

illmaceyougood New Member

Send it to the Consumerist!

7. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

The letter was reasonable.

8. Ivan

Ivan New Member

I think you handled it well. I can understand the frustration, reading this I have felt it aswell, so I can imagine how you must feel after being directly involved.

Do let us know if they do something about that jerk, or if at least you get a response. Ruining a kid's day is a big NO in my book.

9. Maximillion

Maximillion New Member

Wow... I can sort of understand them asking you to leave for bringing in outside foods but the way they treated you after that was totally unwarranted.

In any case wait for a response, then whatever they do send this shit to local papers/ review sites/ consumerist anyway. Fuck em.

10. PC

PC Active Member

send it.

Not sure about the swearing though.

11. Dodger Blue

Dodger Blue OT Supporter

Take out the cursing at the end. No need for that and it just shows immaturity.

Take out the part about the media as well but do go to the media if they don't respond back to you.

Personally, I'd go see a manager face to face. Screw a letter.

12. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Yep, I'd go back today and ask to see the manager. If they say she isn't there again, ask when she will be there.

13. morphine

morphine New Member

Normally I'd be of the opinion that you should let shit like this drop, but in this case I wholeheartedly agree with you wanting to email it to them.

The owner deserves to get the your feedback, HOPEFULLY he acts upon it. Completely unacceptable, and the server should be fired immediately.

14. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Lose the profanity in the letter.

And rephrase "Killed it". The person reading the letter might not understand the slang. I think it means "did a good job" but it could also mean "bombed." lol.

15. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

btw, give management a chance to rectify the situation and fire the employee. It's not the restaurant's fault they hired an idiot.

If they don't, THEN go public. The special needs community will help you to destroy the reputation of this restaurant.

Also make sure the guy, if you get him fired, isn't some psycho who will try to kill you if he sees you. Most people are psycho.

16. morphine

morphine New Member

Good points, definitely drop the profanity.

17. djbomberto

djbomberto OT Supporter

let us know what happens.

18. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

wow

When I waited tables, I couldn't give a flying fuck if the parents brought in snacks or drinks for their kids. Often times, kids are fussy, and the parents (and I as well) don't want the kid throwing a fit and making a scene.

The money certainly isn't being made off the kids meal, so it only makes sense to let the kid eat whatever makes him happy, and focus on the parents. It only makes sense to me, especially from a tip perspective, as they're liable to tip you better for cutting them some slack.

So throw into that the situation as it was, and I as a waiter would have had no problem with it whatsoever.

The only part of your actions I don't understand is why you left a tip at all. I certainly wouldn't have.

19. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

wow thats fucked up I think you did the right thing though

20. Abomb

Abomb New Member

I find this situation entirely unbelievable

21. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Follow - up:

I just got an email back from the owner of the tap:

Hmmm. Any thoughts on whether or not, or how to respond to this? Or do I just let it go?

22. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Sounds like he's kinda blowing you off

23. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

24. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

ok, so i'm not alone in that. What are my choices with this now? Do I respond to his email? Do I just start sending the story out like I said I would?

25. eightvalve

eightvalve Reformed Lurker Crew #1

Unless you want something out of it. (Waiter fired, free food, balls shorn by manager) then just let it go.