Fucking bullshit

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by et3rnul, Oct 9, 2006.

1. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

So I was watching TV on my computer's tuner when I decided to close the app. When I closed the app, the computer kinda froze, then rebooted. No power was lost, it just froze, then rebooted. I booted into windows and thot, ok no errors, no problem. Launched Firefox, and all my bookmarks were gone. I hadn't backed up my book marks for a few weeks, so I was missing quite a few. Also, some programs were missing settings, or the settings had reverted to an earlier state. WTF? What could have caused that reboot? Faulty PSU? Motherboard? Software error? I don't even know the extent of the damage yet, but oy...

UPDATE: Thank god Firefox does auto backups of booksmarks every so often.

2. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

Happens to me sometimes as well. I keep a backup of my firefox profile so when it happens I can just drop the whole profile back in the directory and I get all my extensions and stuff back as well. It's always windows recovering from a serious problem. I've notice this happens to many others as well.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

TV apps use direct memory access to show full-motion video without bogging down the CPU with constant memory-access requests. DMA is very tricky to do without stepping on other applications' memory spaces. That's probably what happened to you. Unless there's a different brand of TV app you can use, you're probably just going to have to put up with random crashes from time to time.

4. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

See above post, and have fun with your $1,500 ripoff.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'd bet the video software you were using didn't know how to poke data straight into the VRAM on your old card, and when something inevitably went wrong, it snowballed and took out the whole system.