MIL Fucked up situation, need some advice

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Accord, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Accord

Accord New Member

I've got a pretty fucked up situation at home, my parents have been divorced since I was a little kid but for some reason still live in the same house. Our house is up for sale right now and my parents are splitting up for the final time (don't even get me started). My mom is probably going to get an apartment and I have no idea what my dad plans to do.

What I need to figure out is, what do I do with all my shit? My furniture and just basically EVERYTHING I own? I was originally hoping I could just leave it all at "home" so when I was on leave for a long weekend or something, I could could home and chill out in my own room and sleep in my own warm bed, but that's not going to happen since I won't have anywhere to really go home to.

I'm plan to live on base in the barracks just like every other junior enlisted and i've seen some pics of the typical room and needless to say i'll probably have enough room for my computer, clothes, and that's basically it. What do I do with all my other shit if I can't leave it at home and I can't bring it with me?

Is putting all my non-essential stuff in storage my best option? I really don't know what else I could do with all of it. I have a ton of shit... 4 TV's, computer desk, couch, big ass work bench, bed, gun collection, tons of other stuff, etc. etc. etc. and I can't figure out what to do with all of it. How much do storage units large enough to hold all this usually cost? I plan to keep my shit there for years.

Advice please :x:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  2. 202 Stroker

202 Stroker We watch the lightning crack over cane fields ..

I reckon storage is your best bet for a short term solution, but from the list you have given, you'll need to sell off/give away most of it .. 4 TV's?

Anyway, see what places your parents end up getting , one/both of them may have enough space for you to store most/all of you gear, but ideally, you'll need to work out what you really, absolutley need , and what can be sold off/given away .. stuff like the gun collection you could intrust to your father to hold onto ..

I'm an officer too, but I'm married, so I got given a low rent house near base for my wife and I to live in.. so I can not really comment too much on storage space as I have all I need with the house

3. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

Keep your shit!!!!!!!!! You wont live in the Barracks 4-ever. Store it in your local area as the military will not ship over a certain weight of goods to your duty station. Seriously keep your shit unless you really want to get rid of it.

4. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Yea dude storage $ adds up, I remember my uncle had his stuff in storage for 2 almost 3yrs the last time he was stationed in Japan, and deploying to Afghanistan, you dont want that kind of a bill as junior enlisted.

edit: maybe one of your folks will have enough space for it in the storage unit that some apts provide :dunno: talk ur dad into a house lol

5. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Am I the only person in the world that actually left home when they left home? :dunno:

6. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Nah, just harder to do now, with us spoiled ass kids having so much shit, im not at all tryin to be funny and crack on ur age on the sly ...ok well maybe I am JUST A LITTLE, but in all seriousness kids are staying at home for longer periods of time now bc you just cant afford to live completely on ur own anymore but in the meantime you accumulate a lot of stuff b4 you finally do move out.

7. evan2

evan2 Guest

the af should store some of it for you, you need to talk to TMO to see...when you move into the barrack you will get them to pick up shit from your home to bring to your dorm room
    you could technically bring it all and have them store it for you free..

just talk to tmo before you get too excited

8. itski

itski Yargg

I sold everything when I joined. Figured the money in the bank making a little interest was better than stuff sitting around.

9. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

10. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

I know this has been said, but 4 TV's? When I enlisted, I had everything I owned in a duffel except a guitar and skis. You know, I make 6 figures and only have 2 TV's, sounds like a waste to me.

11. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

My personal advice:
    4 TV's - pick one, keep it, sell the rest
    computer desk - store it, if possible, if not, sell it and buy a new one when you get off-base living privileges
    couch - same as desk, but if it comes down to storing either couch or desk, keep couch
    big ass work bench - same as couch, unless it's a cheap bench, then sell
    bed - store if possible, if not, sell, beds aren't that expensive
    gun collection - Your base should have an Armory for you to store your guns in, it costs some small fee per month, but they are responsible for cleaning the gun, and you are able to pull it out of the armory pretty much anytime you want
    tons of other stuff - as stated by someone else, garage sell, you relly don't need much more than ~20 shirts, ~10 pants, couple pairs of shorts, a pair of tennis shoes, a pair of church choes, ~20 pairs of socks, ~20 pairs of underwear, a pair of sandals, a light jacket, and a heavy jacket. And that's a pretty comfortable amount of clothing.

12. jung918

jung918 Member

I would not trust the armory with my guns.

13. Car54

Car54 Member

sell most of that crap, keep your guns and other personal belongings in a SMALL storage unit, or with one of your parents.. and sell the rest of the crap. Paying for a huge storage unit just to keep some tvs (always getting better and cheaper) and a desk, bed, workbench and computers is just insane. craigslist it or ebay it.. I'm in a similar situation.. I moved out and have nowhere to put all my stuff, so I sold most of it and put the rest in a haulmark cargo trailer and left it at my friends house.

14. seatmech83

seatmech83 New Member

Get a storage, and let a buddy who you trust with your life to have access. Thats what I did. When I joined my mom sold her house and moved to New York. Its the only safe guarantee you will have your stuff when you come back.

15. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I left home, and only had some clothes I left behind.
    I never really owned anything.

Just put it in storage man or sell some of it. You will be able to come back for it.
    You will find your tastes will change.

16. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

This is my opinion on what you should do. First off you need to answer a question. How long do you plan on living in the barracks? Next you need to find out how much storage is going to cost you per month. Here in Texas there are two type of storages, ones with air conditioning and ones without. The ones without will cost less but humidity can damage your stuff and in the end you need to figure out what's best for you. Storage can run you $100 a month depending on how big a space you need.

Multiply the amount storage will cost you per month by the number of months you plan on living in the barracks. Compare that to the realistic cost your stuff is worth. Keep in mind I'm sure stuff like your gun collection and personal items your parents will allow you to store with them, storage will only really need to be for your big belongings that they don't have space for.

If the amount you are going to pay in storage fees exceeds the amount your stuff is worth then realistically you should just sell your items and put the money you make into a savings account. The key here is to SAVE the money you make on the sale of your items and use it to repurchase similar things when you get a place of your own.

17. darnit

darnit New Member

depending on the size of the guns and worth, you could always rent a bank box(having done it before). Sell the rest,put it into a CD,make money. except for buying a laptop/desktop after your done with boot and AIT, you dont need much for a bit.I would also suggest living in the dorm for the first year or two,it's not really that bad,and if your smart you'll learn a few things before you do move out.
    Besides, you should have way more fun outside your dorm!!
    and no ranger.. your not the only one that moved out on thier own.. but I did it before I joined. When I went into the Navy, I had 2 pairs of jeans,2 shirts,2 pairs of underware,2 pairs of sicks,1 pair of shoes,$100 and a carton of smokes,my duffel bag was a paperbag.