Fucked up, lost all my music...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by skolen, Jan 21, 2007.

1. skolen

skolen Guest

I was backing my music up to another drive (just copying the iTunes folder over) like I usually do, when I got a permission error on a song that stopped the transfer.

Being on my way out I quickly just checked the folders permissions and dragged it over to copy again. Up popped the "this already exists...replace?" jargon and I hit "OK" to overwrite all. I went back to getting ready and glanced up and noticed I had dragged the incomplete backup folder to my complete iTunes collection. Everything was gone.

I quickly downloaded Data Rescue II to try and recover anything, but it was all a scramble of names and when filtered through iTunes it was a crapshoot of full albums. But the program did do a good job of finding some long since deleted stuff (I didn't need it) in case anyone was looking for a recovery program.

My only option was to get it off my 80g iPod which had my entire collection on it (72gb). I didn't want to do this because I know most extraction programs rely on iTunes to reorganize it and I had my shit organized MY way:

/personal collection (my rips)
    /extended collection ("other" sources)

And each of those was had a few subfolders for /Soundtracks, /Classical, /Classic Rock. So that way the folders of songs themselves were easy to find if I needed. iTunes isn't the best at auto-organizing music it didn't rip itself, especially when not all the ID3 tags are filled.

So I tried Sentui, which was working good, but not how I wanted to retain my album organization. I'm trying this other program now called iPodDisk which basicly mounts the iPod drive as a networked drive and you can see all your shit in folders giving you a slightly better chance at retaining your own personal organization methods.

Anyone have any other suggestions for software?

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

i can't wait for time machine in leopard, it will sove this problem in 3 clicks :hs:

3. skolen

skolen Guest

I'll either succumb and let iTunes now and forever maintain my collection or spend another weekend sifting this shit out and rebuilding.

My only saving grace is the fact I know I have at least 90% of my collection on my work PC since I brought it all in one day and I'm good at keeping them synced. And it's all set up how I want there.

4. albasha

albasha New Member

happened to me last week in my dreams.

5. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

All my music is burned on DVD. About 150 gigs. I just sift through when I want something else to load on my pods.

6. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

I'm backing up all my music onto DVDs right now...i dont want to risk this...

:hs:

7. skolen

skolen Guest

Sadly that was what caused this in the first place. :(

8. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

I don't use the Itunes backup primarily for this reason, but also because it encodes it to THAT library from what I am told. I simply open the music folder, create a burn folder, and burn 4.5 gig at a time to each disk.

9. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Took me 8 DVD's to backup my music :eek3:

10. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

That's all? God I wish I had that problem. My silver nano and 80g pod are 5th gen (of course) and my PB does NOT have 2.0............... so figure how long it takes to manage 35 dvd's and the 80g pod. :sadwavey:

11. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

I have 32 or so gb of music, i dont listen to 90% of it

how can you possibly need 80gb :eek3:

12. slfmade

slfmade New Member

so you have your music organized into legaly acquired and illegally acquired? :hsugh: you know if you had just entered in the id3 tag info when you first added the music to itunes it would have been organized perfectly. and why would it matter how it is organized, you know all you have to do is find a file is select the song in itunes and hit command-r

13. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

If you use the 80g vid pod to it's full extent it is a complete entertainment system. I've been watching comedy central stand up podcasts and family guy podcasts for over 2 hours and haven't even flipped to the music side.

For the morning shit, a little texas hold'em will entertain. By far the best $4.99 you'll ever spend in the Itunes store. Nearly rivals the PSP hold'em game. Beats the hell out of "brick". :ugh:

Plenty of photo's on there taking up a few gig. It's handy to have them sometimes. My mother is always asking about the dogs, house, etc... I just whip out the pod and tell her to see for herself.

I was stuck at Mercedes the other day for an hour waiting on a part to come in on the truck and watched a movie I had ripped from DVD earlier in the week.

.........then the 40 gig of music I pulled from my 150gig burned dvd collection plays constantly in the car through my Alpine with Ipod integration.

A few hundred MB used in the contacts that has saved my ass a few times and doubles as a phone book.

..............and I have been able to leave my HX4700 at home every since I slid the nano to the side and bought the 80g. I also stepped to a small slim phone and put the sprint treo in the closet.

IF, and only IF you use it to it's full potential, an 80 gig video pod will replace nearly every gadget you have and integrate seamlessly into nearly everything you do.

With the texas hold'em game and a few others I have been able to even leave the PSP in it's case lately.

So one 80g pod replaced all this: (the mercedes case holds SD and CF cards)

[​IMG]

14. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

OH and

- treo $600
    - HX4700 $650
    - Nano $150
    - PSP $279 (entertainment pack version)
    - cf and sd cards (many 1g cards) $200
    ---------------------------------------------
    $1900.00

V/S

80G black vid $350
    slimphone free on contract.
    ---------------------
    $350

15. skolen

skolen Guest

Honestly, as stupid as it sounds I do it in case I have to lose it quick.

It's hard to ID tag a lot of the stuff I had accumulated over Napster and K++ over the early years. I never did when I originally got them and I just never got around to it since I have so much. I spent a whole weekend renaming JUST the actual file names using a program called R-Name (which is amazing) to get rid of all the _ symbols and other crappy naming schemes of big chunks of files.

And as said above, I use about 65gb of music and the rest is whatever I happened to rip to DVD. I don't watch or listen to it all every time, but the whole point of having this device is to have my music at my fingertips whenver the mood suits me. Although I don't have any games for it, seems pointless.