Fuck Vista.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Jul 5, 2006.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I finally stared at the official Microsoft-issued Vista DVD laying on my desk for long enough, and I decided to install it. Not wanting to risk my Windows XP installation, I trimmed off a piece of my main partition, made a second partition, and installed Vista.

It fucked up the boot sector.

So I used the Windows XP install disc to rewrite the boot sector, repointed the boot loader to my Windows XP installation, and my machine booted up properly again.

I chalked up the problem to being a fault in the multi-boot capability of Vista, being a beta release after all, so I tried to upgrade XP to Vista instead. Mostly I just wanted to see if my computer would be able to handle the new OS, or whether I'd really have to build a new machine. Not being a fool, I backed up the Documents and Settings, Program Files, and Windows folders in addition to the system registry before attempting the upgrade.

It fucked up the boot sector again.

This time, I was unable to repair the boot sector, so I'm having to reinstall Windows from scratch -- not to mention the dozens of programs I've installed over the years. To make matters more aggravating, I'd saved the backups that I'd made to my main hard drive, because I hadn't anticipated having to wipe the drive clean to get the computer working again.

So I'm having to reinstall Windows on a spare drive, boot up to it, copy my backups off my main hard drive, reinstall Windows on the main drive again, reinstate my backups, and perform any repairs/reinstallations that couldn't be carried over properly from the old install. What a fucking waste of time. Looks like I'll be joining the "fuck Vista" crowd and sticking to good old safe Windows XP for a long time.

And yet, I'm tempted to try installing Vista, yet again, on the newly-cleaned main drive. Me + New and shiny things = Trouble. (sigh)

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Vista isn't really Beta yet. Its Alpha, and won't stabilize for at least a year.

3. deusexaethera

Doesn't Alpha mean it's production-ready?

4. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

My friend at work tells me that the newest version of ubuntu is the shiznitz.
    Just sayin.

[​IMG]

6. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

that's what I use, it is the shiznits.

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Alpha means unstable, as in "will corrupt boot sector and shit like that."

Beta means "Almost ready for production use." Vista is not Beta, despite their marketing. They're still in the Alpha stage with an enormously complicated code-base of mostly new code. Getting to Beta is going to be an enormous challenge for them. Some large projects NEVER go from Alpha to Beta. Have you noticed how Vista keeps losing features? Thats because thye're having a nightmare getting it stable enough for a Beta, let alone a production system, so they're chopping large pieces out of it to try to reduce the amount of buggy code.

Redmond is in trouble. They're smart people, so they'll pull something out of this, but Microsoft is pretty screwed on Vista. I'm guessing 2008 for an actual shrinkwrap release, and more like 2010 to achieve the features originally outlined for Vista.

8. deusexaethera

I wonder if it can interface with my Xerox Phaser printer now. Last time I tried it, it couldn't manage the task.

9. deusexaethera

Mm. Well, that answers a nagging question in my mind about what pre-Beta is called. And I guess I'll be buying a legit copy of XP after all, just so I can put an end to dodging the anti-piracy racket that keeps me from comfortably using the volume licensed copy that I legitimately paid $100,000 to get my hands on. (Ever notice how expensive college is these days? I like me some fringe benefits.)

Maybe Microsoft should take the approach of building a basic kernel, giving it away for next to nothing, and then charging an assload of money to buy add-on features down the road -- things like a GUI, for example. :rofl:

10. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

11. Doc Brown

I don't know. But my friend got tired of windows a couple of years ago, and started installing every linux os he could get his hands on. He literally installs a different os almost weekly. He's got a Mac pc running for instance.
    And he tells me the newest ubuntu (6.06, I think) is the coolest os he's seen.
    I downloaded it last week, but haven't installed it yet.
    I'm going to put it on a spare drive for now, and if I like it who knows...

12. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

13. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

damn. sorry to hear that. nightmares like yours are the reason I won't touch vista probably until I'm finished with grad school. and then some.

14. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

fuck vista is right, i have yet to hear a compelling reason to switch to vista from xp with the exception of some eye candy that isnt even that good

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you're friend at work sounds like a "fad" boy, to me.

You must be into the "fad" scene. Learn Gentoo... Live Gentoo. Slackware and FreeBSD are also acceptable SysV variants.

16. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

the word shiznits was being used so it never should have been in question :mamoru:

17. waterypoop

waterypoop New Member

While gentoo is nice and all its a right pain in the ass to get going right, especially compared to ubuntu. Provided you have no conflicts gentoo will do rather well but i dont think most people want to sit around and wait for gnome to compile etc etc.

18. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I was running an LFS system for something like six months. After I got fed up with it, I inteded on giving FreeBSD and Gentoo another go (I used them a tiny bit before, but they were never my primary distro. I've lived on Slackware for quite a while, and I did like it, but I wanted to try some different things first), but then Ubuntu 6.06 was released, so I thought I had to try it. So I did, and I fecking loved it. At first I didn't intend on sticking with it, but...

Neither Gentoo or FreeBSD have the driver for my wireless card (it's an rt2500-based card) on the installer CDs (they DO have drivers though, they're just not on the CDs), which makes installing (if I'm doing a network-install, which I prefer doing) or setting them up take a bit of time - so I just couldn't be arsed.

19. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

you can always install from knoppix or similar

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

With the exception of being FOSS, ubuntu gives you none of the benefits of linux, and all of the disadvantages.

21. AO

AO New Member

deus ex,

I would hope that you had a spare drive to mess around with instead of using your production machine. You install the spare drive, disconnect the WXP drive, move the cables over to the spare drive and power up. That way if it thrashes your HD you can power down, pull the power plug, move the cables back to the XP drive, remove the spare drive and "keep on 'truckin'."

22. JaJae

JaJae New Member

The kicker is he had a spare drive he just didn't use it.

Overwriting your primary OS install to a pre-beta MS release is not the brightest thing to do.

23. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

eh? Gonna have to explain that one compubroly.

24. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

That's exactly how I did it... 2 drives. Moved everything important from my D drive, to my C drive, and then backed that up to another system on my network. Disconnected my XP (C) drive and installed Vista on my (previously) D drive. worked like a charm. When I went to a LAN party, needed XP, I just swapped cables and jumpers and viola, XP and all my games up and running in seconds.

As for using Vista... I can't imagine that I'll use it on this machine, and with me building a new machine in a month, I can't see that I'll build ANOTHER machine in 6 months to run Vista and DX10 games.

25. Doc Brown

My friend at work is one of a couple of people that I know that probably know as much about computers as you do.
    If he tells me the new ubuntu is pretty cool then it is.