GUN fuck, my mom doesn't want me to conceal carry

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by t1h, Jun 13, 2007.

1. t1h

t1h Guest

:sad2:

My birthday is coming up in a few weeks, and I'll have my conceal carry permit in a few weeks (the waiting period on the state to process it is almost up). So, she knows about my M1 Garand and was going to get me one of the cheaper ($300-400) gun safes from bass pro shops to put it in (we already went looking). however, now she says she'll just give me cash and let me do whatever with it. so I told her I want to put the cash my grandparents gave me ($300) with what she gives me toward the Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm carry kit that Bass Pro Shops has on sale thru the 17th. And when I told her its for my concealed carry, she starts going on on "why do you need a gun, your not carrying it over here, etc). And I explained to her that I want to carry because I don't feel safe. I work down town and have to drive through the ghetto to get to work. And almost daily in the local paper is a story of how someone got robbed in broad daylight (mugged in Kroger parking lot, carjacked, house broken into, etc). And I just don't feel safe anymore. And she said well the criminal could wrestle the gun out of your hand. While thats always a possibility, usually I'd think the criminal will already be pointing a gun at me, or running after me with a knife, etc.

So anyway my dilemma is affording it. I have the money to buy it now, however, I'd only have $800-ish left in the bank if i did, and I still need to tile my bathroom floor. I already have all the tools, baseboards, etc. Just need to buy the grout and thinset which will eat up the rest of the money. And I'm in the middle of installing hardwood flooring, but I think I have everything I need (the tools, enough hardwood, glue, baseboards, etc).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2007
  2. MTech

MTech New Member

somebody needs to tell mom better to have the gun and not need it than need it and not have it.. With that said I picked up my M&P on Monday morning and I love it:bigthumb:

3. iMotionSRT-4

iMotionSRT-4 HO! HO! HO! BITCHES!!

I'd wait on it for a while. Or see if you can find a used one somebody wants to sell. Hell I got my glock from a buddy of mine for $300.

No point in placing your self in dire straights for something you could wait on.

put the money they give you in a ING account, and let it earn a little then get it later.

4. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Wrestle the gun away from you? People seem to think Hollywood is real life. Tell her it's not her business, and that you'll carry if you want to carry. Her desires aren't going to save your life in the ghetto, a 9mm will.

5. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Well if your mom is much for statistics on the matter, I can give some on standing up to crooks with guns and stuff like that... :dunno:

6. Get a personal loan and buy the gun imo. It's worth it. You seem intelligent enough to get ccw, so should be intelligent enough to make enough money to pay off the loan. American interest rates are pretty low arent they?

7. DaninTexas

DaninTexas OT Supporter

8. t1h

t1h Guest

i don't know anyone else in my circle of friends that is into firearms, and I don't know if I'd want to trust a pawn shop pistol with my life. no telling how much they could be abused, etc. The money is already in amboy online savings at 5.05%. I have about $10k on there, but will have to pay the hardwood flooring (put it one of my rewards CC) and pay my other rewards credit card when its due in a few weeks (it put all my regular monthly purchases on it, put the money to pay it in amboy, and when its due, take the money out of amboy, pay it, and collect the rewards cashback).

that said, i'd have about $1600 left, and $600 for the gun, plus gas and groceries for the rest of the month will leave me at $800. but, I get paid in a couple of weeks, and I won't be ready to do the bathroom until then anyway, since I'm just laying the flooring a little at a time on evenings, weekends.

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

how old are you?

10. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

You can get a pretty good 1911 for $600 bro. And for not too much more you could upgrade some of the parts with which you are less enamored. :)

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Don't go into debt for toys and shit you don't need. If you'd need a loan of a few hundred dollars, you need to save way more than you need a loan.

Take care of the place you live and buy a gun a few months from now. Tell your mom you don't carry, tell her its none of her business, don't worry about her...whatever. Don't stretch yourself too thin for a gun though.

12. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

Im in the same boat with my rents too. I mean your 21 so its your choice. I dont know about you but I really want to seek approval and understanding from my parents before carrying. I really dont want there to be any animosity when I carry over at their place.

13. JaimeZX

MF:werd:

14. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

buy you a sub compact glock and get pinky extensions for the mags. its way less and its a glock. cant go wrong.

15. t1h

t1h Guest

27. i went to bass pro shops and the sale was for the full size M&P. The counter guy said that on July 31st they'll start there big hunting pre-season sale and all the hand guns will be on sale. so I may just wait.

the M&P 9mm compact is 579.99, regular price and no holster, but the M&P full size was an open carry holster, and I want in waist band. I could sign up for the bass pro credit card and get 10% off though. I have the money to buy the gun, its just that it may short change me on the flooring and i'd have to wait another month paycheck before I could finish every thing if I ran over budget.

16. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

so... like.... do you live at home at 27 and let your mom run your life? if so :ugh:

if not, who cares what the fuck she thinks?

17. t1h

t1h Guest

i don't want 1911 though. i want something double action or double action only, and compact and concealable

18. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Baby Glock FTW! :bigthumb:

19. t1h

t1h Guest

:ugh: assumptions > you

i don't live at home, i have my own house that i live in. i'm buying a compact concealable weapon, i just thought i'd talk to her and let her know what i'm doing with the birthday money.

20. IHAVECRABS

IHAVECRABS Diversity is our strength. LOLOL

you're 27. you can carry.

/thread

21. JaimeZX

Dunno then; I have no interest in or plans to get a DA pistol. :hs:

22. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

the only logical assumption was that you live at home. you never made mention otherwise, and made it very apparent that what she wants is factoring in your decision. maybe you should have said you dont live at home? its not my fault your're a bitch mama's boy. i told my dad i got a ccw after i got it, ge gave me shit. i told him to fuck off. its not his god damn business, just like its not your moms.

23. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

Do you still live at home? Who cares if your mom doesn't want you to carry?

Edit, apparently not, but if not, I can't imagine why your mom's opinion would affect you carrying.

24. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

My mom totally freaked out when she found out that I had a gun. She's a nutcase when it comes to that stuff. She's slowly gotten over it and is OK with it now. I'm trying to get her to come to the range with me :o

25. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

With Illinois gun culture, I'm not surprise. I made the mistake once of getting into a drunken gun argument with my 5 or so members of my girlfriend's chicago family down there, that wasn't pretty.