SRS Fuck depression. Who's with me?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Spiritus, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

I am fucking sick and tired of it. That's all that can be said about it.

As of today I am dramatically changing everything. I know what works and what doesn't work.

I am quitting all escapist drugs.
    I will be using only performance enchancing drugs. Such as ativan for social activity.

I will be busting my ass off. I am becoming a slave to the treadmill. I will stop eating shit and eat stone age food no matter how much effort is required.

I swear by the cross I wear that I will not break any of these promises.

I will report my progress every single day. I hope people can bash me when I am not improving. I will do the same for you if you want to join me

Who's with me? If you want to stay and sit on the couch, fine... I don't fuckin care. And there are those in the other category. Hi!

2. johan

johan Active Member

YES!! I salute the new you.

3. LipGloss

LipGloss Guest

i think that'll help a lot, i'm in depression and i'm trying to get through it so i'm going to try it

4. Southpaw

Southpaw Guest

good luck man, it will be tough

5. O'Fuck

O'Fuck Guest

G'luck. I wish.

6. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

thanks for all your kind replies guys. this is definnitly helping already!

7. wik

wik New Member

yeah i had a couple of these energy bursts once, i just ended up not doing it anyway.

but i hope you're able to do it,, good luck.

8. msalyss85

msalyss85 Guest

YAY!

That's what I did! Last semester I was so depressed, and the Dr. here on campus prescribed me lexapro (for my depression and also for me to gain weight). Well, needless to say, Lexapro helped me out a little bit w/the depression, but a side effect other than weight gain was weight loss (wtf)...so I lost even more weight (I'm still underweight). So when I went home for Xmas break, I was like "fuck it", and threw the lexapro away. Ever since then I've had such a better attitude on everything. And, like you, I've just started going to the gym. I ran 2 miles the other day and yesterday I hung out in the pool and did a few laps (I'm a horrible swimmer).

Good luck to you, and I hope that everything works out well for you! Remember, you have someone here who's going through the same stuff that you are! I'll be here for you :hug:

9. RyeBread

RyeBread If you tell the truth you don't have to remember a

welcome aboard. It is a difficult journey, one with many slips along the way.

Luckily for me, I'm a bit obsessive compulsive, and have managed to motor my way through the life interferences that would have probably killed it a while ago.

I decided to "start moving" as an effort to get some endorphins going, and shrug off not only the blues, but the non-sensical fatigue I felt.

I started small - just doing pushups here at home, and riding the very inexpensive recumbant bike in the basement.

no, I'm not a broly by any means, but I'm stabilized at 30 some odd pounds lighter than I was. went from a 38" waist to a 34" in about 2.5 months.

I too stopped eating the processed/white carbs, fried foods, and feel for the most part way way better than I have in a decade.

on non-gym days (due to classes, and other issues) I still manage to crank out 6-8 sets of 40 pushups per day. Back when I started, in the fall I was only doing 10-15 reps per set.

And I don't care - people at work already think I'm nuts, so it doesn't matter - I drop and do pushups in my cube while waiting for a server to backup, or an extract to run, or a file to upload, etc. :)

10. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

First update

Seeing this post reminded me to get to it. One solid hour at the treadmill, into a cool shower, teeth brushed and listernine. Feeling on top of the world. So fresh and clean. I looked in the mirror and I looked sexier. Was it the working out or was it a boost of self confidence? I'm going with the later, more rewarding choice. ;)

Yeah same here. But this time I am sticking with it. I had a couple of mental outbursts and decided it was time to increase altitude in the rollercoaster of life.

I find this quote inspires me

"My key to success lies not in my strength but my tenacity" - hollyfield.

msalyss85 - I admire you. It's a tough path we chose. I can't do it without the drugs though. I'm on Paxil 50mg, ativan 4mg a day, ritalin 20mg a day, omega 3 fish oil, stress vit b6 tablets, and MSM. That is a fucking mouthful of shit in the morning but it gives me the energy and balance I need.

This combined with my 1 hour a day on the treadmill and diet is making my self confidence skyrocket. Anxiety is at an all time low. I'm making the comeback. I'm noticing girls noticing me. It feels good.

RyeBread - Thanks. I know it's difficult. I find it's helpful to just get on the treadmill and close my eyes and just keep pumping for like 20 mins. If your goal is an hour, you will not want to dissapoint yourself by getting off earlier.

No dissapointments yet I am glad to say.

I must say that after a good workout I feel so god damn refeshed nothing can bring me down. I bust my ass on the treadmill then strait into a cool shower, brush my teeth and use listerine and I feel sooooo fresh and so clean. :)

People also have their opinions on me, i don't really give a shit about them because they aren't the people I care for.

11. msalyss85

msalyss85 Guest

Spiritus: Here's my post GYM analysis -

At 4 I went to the gym and ran a mile (10 laps) by doing 4 laps, then 3, then 2, then 1. It felt good, and since my day was relaxing it helped out a lot.

I then went to the key machines and did quads, calves, biceps, and shoulders.

Lastly, I did 200 crunches (25 normal, 25 each side, 50 fast normal, 25 fast each side)

I hope to hear of your gym success soon! :) :hug:

12. katt_85

katt_85 OT Supporter

Keep up to good work !

I know trying to change bad habits and make new ones isnt easy, but keep at it! Were all here cheering you on :bigthumb:

13. sushibug

sushibug :happysad:

i'll believe it when i see it. (in a motivational context)

ive dealt with depression, its rather shitty and controls your entire prespective on life. goodluck.

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Depression robs you of your rationality, as it compels you to turn every one of life's molehills into mountains. By embracing a rational attack on this irrational pessimism... well, "knowing is half the battle." Way to go, holmes!

15. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

i'm sorta doing the same thing.. giivng up all the junk food that made me fat and happy instead going after more healthier stuff like white-meat roasted chicken instead of KFC etc.

and exercising more.

i'm going to amsterdam this week :) so we'll see how long it lasts

also starting my website, www.civicmon.com

good luck Spiritus.

16. LiQuiD_FuSioN

LiQuiD_FuSioN New Member

Why give up on depression? (jokingly) Otherwise we wouldn't have a nice forum here (with all the wonderful contributors in it) and without this forum, there wouldn't be much hope for all of mankind! lol.

I sometimes enjoy depression, it gives you time to think about stuff and inturn be a deeper person imo. And ofcourse it has it's serious downfalls. If you look in history, well known artists and authors had depression and look, they applied it positively in creating masterpieces, hehe. Anyway, that's my .02.

Btw, how is the plan coming along? I am very curious to read on about what your current progress is! :wavey:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  17. Thadius

Thadius Too depressed for his own good

Been there Done that.. Got the tshirt to prove it.

But seriously I've been through it after a car accident n whole heap of bad shit happening to me. Was put on drugs. Have come off drugs..

And now all i have are the withdrawal symptoms 5 weeks later and the loaf of bread i'm making at the moment.

I'm some what more balanced, but it was all a mental thing, something for me to decide hey fuck it I'm gunna actively do something about this rather than sit here and wallow in my self pity which only forces you deeper into depression.

Keep a journal of your day to day activities. Try and plan everything out beforehand, plan not to have spare time to sit there and think about everything.

But good luck its not easy.

18. Welcome to my world. I always give 110%, even if my best isn't enough, I give all I can because that alone frees me from the burden of self-blame. I've never given less during my life, even when I was exhausted.

19. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

thought you were updating this daily?

I had a lot of time on my hands lately (flying to europe and all :) ) and thought of this thread...

20. Bush77

Bush77 New Member

good luck. don't try to do too much at once because the drastic change will be overwhelming and you'll be tempted to quit.

21. CopenKagan

CopenKagan OT Supporter

Dude, I wish you luck. I am doing something similar. I've started lifting weights to occupy my time, rather than sitting on my ass all the time. I'm hanging out with some old friends I haven't seen in some time.

I have one question, though. What exactly is ativan? I have a huge problem with going up to a complete stranger and talking to them, I just can't do it. When I am about to, I get nervous, I think about the possible rejection and puss out.

22. Insight

Insight Guest

Happens to the best of us, regardless of the fact that most of the time when I do go out on a limb and talk to someone it turns out good.

23. CopenKagan

CopenKagan OT Supporter

Yeah, I know people are more sociable than I think they are, but I just have a huge mental block on it, and can't seem to get around it. But lets not stray from the subject too much. ;)

24. Insight

Insight Guest

The attitude is good, but please please please be careful with regards to extreme demands.

Quitting one problem cold turkey is difficult enough, but you're talking about three seperate things. And placing that heavy load all on your Faith is very challenging, and indeed if things begin to faulter even that may bend.

Spiritus, I've been through depression. And even though I still struggle with some minor bad habits and a significant social problem, I've made a ton of progress.

My suggestion would be spend a mere $10 on this book: Managing your Mind, and then take the time to read it and follow a few of the helpful steps.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0195111257/qid=1109040916/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/104-5613704-5665550?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

25. Metaphysical

Metaphysical With a hundred ways to do a dozen things, why not

fuck depression in the ass :buttsex: