ftp through firewall

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hurleyint1386, Mar 26, 2007.

1. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

I need to connect to an FTP server, however on campus internet prevents me from doing so. Any ideas as to how to get around that so I can connect?

2. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

Because FTP opens port 21 traffic, and you can only block FTP traffic at a FW by blocking port 21 traffic...no.

But if the site allows for SFTP (Secure) that operates on port 22 if I recall.

Mostly likely they don't, and if they did, you would need an SFTP client anyways.

3. hurleyint1386

i've tried regular ftp, passive ftp, and secure ftp. so im seriously screwed? i need it do an internship from 100 miles away. :hs:

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Wait, your school blocking all FTP access?
    That's just stupid. There are dozens of sites that still link people to FTP servers to download files.

If you get the person hosting the FTP server to change the port number, then you should be able to get around it. Or go smack some sense into the moron at the school that completely cut off port21 and tell them they need to allow it for client side but still block people from running servers on their network.

5. hurleyint1386

i can access local servers via FTP, but im trying to access another one outside of campus and it's not working. im trying to think of a way to maybe tunnel. they also set up wireless stupid so that you can view local servers through a browser (yeah, but you can SSH and FTP into them). so i've been tunneling through a server to view websites.

also, i can't really ask my boss to change the port to something else just for me, when there are other developers using the standard 21 port

6. hurleyint1386

my login information is saved and i was using it yesterday from my house and from my work area. now i come to school, and im getting problems

7. hurleyint1386

i know this might sound weird, but does anyone have an ftp server that they can create a test account so i can try and see if it's just their server, or if it's my school?

8. hurleyint1386

sooo it's obviously my school. but i need to find a way around this if possible

9. BlaqueMan

BlaqueMan New Member

hax ftw

10. Euclid

Euclid New Member

What school do you go to? You should ask the tech support people there, maybe they can release the restrictions for you.

Also can you plug into the network (ethernet cable) rather than use the wireless? The restrictions might be much tighter on the wireless than they are with the regular wired network.

11. hurleyint1386

i figured out its a different problem. LOLZILLA helped me out. but i still dont know what the issue is. maybe it's their server? :dunno:

12. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

and the solution was.... [drumroll]