FTP server through COX

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 1999TL, Mar 15, 2007.

1. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

anybody know how to setup an FTP server with COX? I believe they block ports 80 and 25. I want to use serv u to setup an ftp server...there has to be an easy way around this.

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

ftp runs on 21

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I have cox and in the past my friends have been able to connect just fine...haven't tried in awhile tho.

Easiest way?? d/l and install ubuntu desktop, enable FTP service and make sure the port is open in the firewall.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ugh, ubuntu is a horrible idea if he just wants a simple ftp server.

and read your tos/aup. I bet it says you shouldn't run a ftp server. In which case, I hope they find you and disconnect you.

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

LOL ubuntu rulz and it's an hella easy to get up and running.

Of course the TOS says you can't run one nor can you run a website but so what...they aren't going to discon you for that. They don't block the ports so you can still set stuff up on a temporary basis.

6. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

they block port 80 huh? so you can't access a web page

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

port 80 incomming... many ISPs block that. You can access webpages all day long, but you can't host one on a standard port.

8. HipHopHead

HipHopHead Well-Known Member

Just change the port on your FTP server client. Thats what I had to do with charter, they block port 21. Took me a while to figure it out, it drove me crazy.

9. gnp

gnp New Member

if they block 21 just change it to a non standard port. also you'll probably need to use a dynamicdns service if you want to be able to access it by name and not ip. Even if you do plan on hitting it by ip, with a cable connection your ip will obviously change every time the dhcp lease expires.

10. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

im using dyndns.org to access the ftp/sftp/scp/ssh server i set up using the linksys nslu2 and linux on port 21/22 with a 400gb external attached to the network.

im trying to install openvpn as well to secure ftp sessions when sftp/scp client is not available, so far im unsuccessful at installing openvpn cause i dont know much about linux.

also installing apache and php on the nslu2 for a webserver, i think i kinda got it working....havent mess with the configurations yet though, again...i dont know shit about apache neither so im just learning as i go

just search for a free ftp server (filezilla is a nice free server/client) and run it on your machine, set up the router to forward port 21 (and 22 too if you wanna use sftp) to that machine, if your isp blocked those port...assign a different port, visit dyndns.org and set up an account, also set your router to communicate with the dyndns.org server....dont know what router youre using but my linksys have that option

11. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

set it up using serv u pretty easy. Just changed the port and set the router to that port.

12. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

Cox doesn't block TCP 21, at least not in VA where I live. I've been running a FTP server for 2 years.

They do block 80 and 25 though.

13. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

If you're in the NYMA, get cablevision. They don't block 21, and if you get the BOOST service, your download/upload cap is raised from 15/2 to 30/5Mbps and you can unblock ports 80 and 25.