MIL FT. Hood

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MumblingJoe169, Mar 11, 2007.

1. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

Anyone on here been stationed in Ft. Hood, with the 1st Cav, or lived near Hood or the Austin area?
    Just curious.

My first set of orders are to 3rd Bde, 1st Cav, BUT i dont report for a year, so who knows if they will change

2. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

What happened to Germany?

3. MumblingJoe169

it was my first choice, but the army said :nono:

4. nadahonda

nadahonda Member

I got Hood as well, it was my first choice. 1st CAV 2 BDE
    I'll report at the end of Nov. Do not live in Killeen, I wouldn't buy a house either because retail estate is crap. I lived there for 12+ years as a youth and my mom barely broke even when she sold the house and the only reason why she was actually able to sell it was because she is a civilian and the government was required to buy her house, not the same case for military personnel.

Copperas cove and Harker Heights are a little better than Killeen. Temple is really good but it's also about a 20-30min trip to Hood.

5. MumblingJoe169

20 to 30 minutes aint shit. I was thinking of living in Austin and renting a crappy trailer to sleep in during the week, lol.

6. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

The only reason that I would recommend someone to buy a house is so that they can get the benefit of that tax free money housing money and use that as one method to plus up your investment strategy. Especially if you can get another LT to live in the house with you (assuming you're not married) and get them to pay part of your mortgage.

If you have a hard time selling it then just find a management firm and hire them to keep the house rented out when you move on to the Career Course later on. Wish I had did this when I was a lieutenant.

7. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Doing this now... will rent it out when I PCS.

8. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

When we were at Ft. Hood we lived on post because we got lucky and there was a house available in the neighborhood we wanted. Pros for living on post for us was not having to deal with traffic getting on post everyday. Then again this was back in 2001 when 9/11 made getting on post a nightmare.

9. MumblingJoe169

Is that money you are referring to BAH? Yea I definately plan on buying a place, and hopefully having someone live with me to ease the burden. I'll look into some good places to buy around Hood when im closer to leaving.

I also cant live on post because i am single, unless i stay at the BOQ. How bad is the traffic getting on post every morning? Like how much time are we talking about here? :wtc: id hate to wake up so early just to GET on post

10. Jyokker

The amount of time spent commuting to post is worth the payoff of your house appreciating and someone else partially paying your mortgage.

11. MumblingJoe169

so what your saying is, i should live closer to Austin than Hood?
    i cant imagine anything near a military base ever going up in terms of property value.

12. Jyokker

I've ran to PT before, my house appreciated at 15% last year... granted (or granite :mamoru:) Katrina helped with that. Don't think nice big house, think small rental property! Who needs a grand house when you are going to be moving in a few years anyway? Plus a smaller house near base is more likely to rent out than a large house far far away. Either way, buy a house but don't let it be the biggest house in the neighborhood.

I know some areas outside of military bases are nasty, but work with what you have and make sure you are comfortable with it - just buy a house.

13. MumblingJoe169

Im not looking to buy a large house, but on the other hand it would be a nice change of pace to buy something with a huge 2 acre back lot or something. Thats huge to me, lol. Thats alot of grass to mow.
    Im not gonna buy in Killeen. The closer to Austin I can get, the better. If I gotta leave an hour before PT, so be it.

14. Jyokker

Might want to buy a Prius :mamoru:

15. MumblingJoe169

yea no shit
    right now i have a bike and a '90 Chevy 4x4
    im not exactly getting great mileage.