MIL Ft. Bragg Crew v. Hi2u

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by CappyStyles, Feb 2, 2010.

1. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

So...looks pretty much like I'll be headed up to Bragg for the next who knows how long. Never been north of Ft. Jackson, or south of D.C before. I'm going to be looking to rent a place off post to start.

If anyone has any info, stories, or just wants to go hangout let me know. Not sure what to expect. :noes:

2. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Flying into Bragg next week, but will only be there for a few hours.

3. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

I'm guessing I'll get there around the beginning of March atm. :dunno:

4. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

5. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

I think SFOD-D is at Ft. Bragg. Cooooool.

6. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

No way. :cool:

7. willijdub

willijdub New Member

ft bragg... home of the airborne, sf, and me! if you want to rent a place, id recommend looking in raeford. its a bit of a drive, but it is nice out there, and low crime. Spring lake is shitty and crime ridden unless you go out in the country towards lillington. some good apartments are off of ramsey street near the baptist college, that is where i was living, in tartan place apartments. it is next to the cape fear river trail, which is a 4 mile paved path great for running and near a wal-mart and other stores that come in handy. the other apartments near those suck though and i dont recommend.

for fun hit up ITZ. it is a sports bar/night club/comedy zone/cigar parlor. all of which are seperate. the club requires a collared shirt and to tuck it in, so dont expect to rock a t shirt and get in. the sprts bar os chill, and has some pool tables and such, and does not require an entrance fee. the cigar parlor is usually pretty chill and quiet, if thats your thing. ive never been to the comedy zone so i cant tell ya if it is good or not. There are a couple good bars off of ramsey street, one is DM's sports bar. has a few pool tables, and is pretty lax, down the street next to the american flag storage place is another bar, forget the name, but there is smoking allowed upstairs.

most the bars you have to buy a membership to, but its like $3 max. If you like GOOD beer from all over the world id recommend a bar called "the office pub" on raeford rd by near the five guys restaurant. there is a liquor store next to it as well, and the bar serves beer from the liquor store. (bobs wine shop) good imports and dark beers, and all the hard to find beers. spring lake has a dive bar called FUBAR (not to be confused with another bar of the same name in fayetteville) which plays loud shitty karoake all night. its a good place now and then.

if you like coffee, the best place is the coffee scene which is by the mall and theatre. fuck starbucks.(there is one down the road from there) the coffee scene has free internet, and live music/poetry most nights.(just pick up a schedule in there) and the musicians who play are quite talented, but i cant say so much of most the poets.

if you got a wife/girlfriend, take her to the cape fear botanical garden. lots of trails, very quiet, and no one ever there. plus its like $5 to get in. (maybe more of a spring time thing)

time is limited so thats all i can do for ya now. hit me up if you need to know more.

8. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

Thanks man. Lots of good info there. I'm going to go check out the places you listed for housing - though I do need a house with a fenced yard. I have a big ass dog. I'm planning on looking for a 6 month lease atm to see if I like everything before I go looking to buy.

I noticed you didn't mention anything Fayetteville :mamoru:. I guess most people try and get away from post as much as possible? I hear the base is huge and has pretty much everything you could need on it.

9. SeaMack99

SeaMack99 OT Supporter

getting away from fayetteville is highly recommended. i haven't been in fay. for more than 2weeks for the past +6yrs.

willijdub pretty much hit everything on the head.:o

10. tan koi

tan koi Guest

hey man... can you please give a rundown on what it's like after you get settled in? i'm contemplating an assignment there and would like to know how fayettenam and the surrounding area is.

11. willijdub

willijdub New Member

see my post above. but once you get settled in, the area sucks, at least imo. it is a typical military town, in all its glory. most any place on bragg blvd is on the off limits list, and everywhere you go there is a bunch of military... usually 82nd guys. friday nights suck to get into any sit in restaurant as the wait time is like an hour and a half or more. the girls in fayetteville know rank structure and are simply whore money vampires. and there are two types of girls in fayettenam, those that were brought there, and those that were left there.

you can expect long lines of traffic every morning on your way in to pt at any gate, but especially the all american gate. the roads on base are a cluster as well during lunch, and you can imagine the scene after 16:30 every day.

my best advice is to leave fayetteville often, hit up raleigh, myrtle beach, go anywhere but stay in town. there is no awesomeness to the mall, the downtown area is kinda nice, but rather smallish.

there is a nice zoo a few hours away. (carolina zoo)... raleigh has a great mall, good bars, entertainment, concerts etc, and all without 7907908098908 army people there.

a couple more good places in fayetteville would be the cameo art theatre downtown, as you can get beer there, and it is a good theatre. small, but good. hit it up sometime. if you are into rock climbing, go to red point, it is off of raeford rd. indoor rock climbing, also they have martial arts classes,yoga, and a crossfit gym.(but the one on base is bigger and free)

fayetteville has everything you need, but has none of the vibrance of life you would want. i always feel like ive just escaped prison or something whenever i venture outside the city limits.

nc has a lot to offer, it just is not in fayetteville. several national forests, beaches, raleigh, etc etc... youll see.

12. SeaMack99

SeaMack99 OT Supporter

while i was visiting the parents this past winter i was almost impressed in how much fayetteville has grown over the past few years. if it wasn't for all the military it wouldn't be that bad of a town :o

13. Gaunt

if you want good mexican go to monterrey

14. tan koi

tan koi Guest

damn... that's what I figured, it being a military town and all. sounds a LOT like hinesville here at stewart. i just remembered that i have some buddies in raleigh, so maybe it won't be so bad. thanks for the rundown bud :)

of course, with the assignment that im wanting, i wont be there too long at a single time so it wont be an issue :redface:

15. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

Fixed.

16. Gaunt

where is that? all my soldiers told memonterrey was the best

17. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

Oh snap. Just found out I'll be arriving sometime next week. Anyone know a good property manager? Or want to party? :mamoru:

18. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

So I'm here. First impression: Oh fuck.

Anyone have a car for sale? :run:

19. Gaunt

the car sale lot is just south of the north px. i might have my civic for sale but its got 326K miles

20. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

:run: Only was on a base for a second yesterday. Might need to go check that out. How much btw?

21. Gaunt

i gotta buy a truck first, might be a while ive grown attached to it

22. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

You got some directions to the north PX? I'm staying right off Bragg in Silver Lake atm, so I get on bragg south and then....? :cool:

23. Gaunt

you can go in the butner gate off bragg blvd and its just off your left side when you get past the gate. the car lot is just down the road by the apartments. youll see a long line of cars in a dirt area on the right side of the road.

24. JSin

JSin New Member

I'd like to disagree with this. I lived in a little 3 bedroom house in the middle of Spring Lake for about 8 months before I deployed out of there and never experienced any crime. It was ghetto as hell and gave off the impression that crime would be abundant, but it never happened. Plus, all my neighbors were cool and there was always a party somewhere on the street on the weekends. Meanwhile, all my buddies in "nice neighborhoods" were having their cars broken into multiple times and houses robbed. I always figured that people don't drive to the ghetto to rob someone, they drive to the nice neighborhoods. So I lived crime free, minutes from post in a dirt cheap house in Spring Lake.

25. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

Another stuck on Bragg. 3rd BCT here.