Fsck it all!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Jan 6, 2008.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

My linux machine is taking a long time to boot all of a sudden, and when I fscked it, sure enough it said the root volume is unclean, but it won't let me run a repair operation on it because it's mounted with RWX privileges, and I can't unmount it because it's busy. So...how exactly do I fsck my root volume if even sudo doesn't grant me the necessary god-mode permissions?

My root is formatted in Reiser FS, if that makes any difference.

2. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

Depends on what ver of the kernel you are running (under 2.4.16 and you are screwed anyways), and how badly the inode and metadata is screwed up...

But there are almost no tools for Reiser to repair off of a boot volume, which is why they ALWAYS recommend ext3 for boot, but then if you MUST, Reiser for home, etc, for performance

Now you can always pop it into another Suse box or slave it and repair it that way ;)

use ext3 next time... you can ALWAYS repair that pretty much unless the drive has fail:noes:

3. deusexaethera

You know, it's funny you should mention that, because the only reason I have ReiserFS was because I was giving something different a try. I've always used ext3 in the past because I could install ext2IFS on my Windows volume so I could read my ext3 volumes. My new linux machine doesn't have Windows on it, though, because there's no need for it to be there anymore, so I decided to go with something more exotic.

I guess that's what I get for trying something different.

So Reiser is hard to fix, XFS crashes on boot if you use the GRUB boot loader, and ext3 is oh-so-boring. How's JFS? Is that "better" than ext3 without also being a pain in the ass in certain ways?

4. Harry Caray

Most distros don't support XFS for boot... but it's excellent for RAID (its what SGI invented and uses in their NAS,SAS,etc,etc) and its fast..

UFS is awesome, but its BSD based :noes: and not many distros support it on boot... ext3 is rock solid (kinda like NTFS, but with more scalability)... which is why Novel 1st had Suse with Reiser, but then jumped over to ext3...

5. deusexaethera

So what's the deal with ReiserFS, anyway? Hans Reiser's gotten himself in a heap of trouble, I know that much, but why is he the only person in the world who knows how his filesystem works? Why can't they just slap a different name on it (or maybe not) and let other programmers keep working on it? And what was so special about ReiserFS in the first place, that made it different from all the other filesystems out there? I've never managed to find an adequate explanation for how the different filesystems actually do anything differently from each other.

6. Harry Caray

The namesys people said that they'll continue the development of the FS if they are paid... :ugh:

I say, don't worry, there are plenty of better ones out there that will be released in 08 and we don't need to worry about his Russian ass anymore !!:noes:

Ext4, ZFS (full linux support), ufs2 , and some others will be great additions...

:bowdown:

7. deusexaethera

Is there a snowball's chance in hell that the developers will:

1. Provide conversion tools to switch to newer filesystems without reformatting;
    2. Actually explain what the hell makes each filesystem so cool, and where best to use it;

?