GUN FSC556 Brake/Flash Suppressor

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Jun 5, 2009.

1. After reading a ton of positive things about the FSC556 brake/ flash suppressor I figured I'd pick one up and give it a try. The idea here is that it's a great balance between a brake and a flash suppressor. All the reviews I found reported a substantial reduction in recoil and muzzle rise. Also, the flash suppression ability seems to be not much worse than an A2 flash suppressor. I got it today and cut my permanently attached Phantom 5C1 off and then pinned and welded this one on. I haven't shot it yet, but I have a rifle league match tomorrow night to shoot, and I'll be able to compare it to my 5C1 there. I'm excited about the brake effect giving me faster followup shots. I'll also be able to comment on its flash suppression ability because we always run the course in the dark once.

The brake:
    [​IMG]

Mounted:
    [​IMG]

2. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

3. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

thats badass that you weld.

I bet you purify your own water and milk your own cows too

4. Welding has come in handy for lots of little things. My dad has a MIG setup. It's great.

5. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Nice. I recently replaced the A2 FH's on my AR's with Miculek Brakes. Haven't had a chance to shoot them yet, though.

6. Laurel

Laurel New Member

We have a victory garden. I make my own sausage, beer and recently started making dog food for the pooch. :rofl:

7. Keesh

Keesh New Member

You should be pretty amazed at the difference between that and the YHM FH you had on their earlier. I need to pick one of those up actually, the FWC556's are really nice.

8. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

Oh man... you wanna join the rank of "that guy"s at league eh?

One guy showed up with an AK and massive muzzle brake one time. Stripped paint off the wall, lol.

Glad to know you weld, thinking about building another 14.5" in the future, lol.

BTW: Finish Laurel's build!

9. I wanna break the 1.0 mark. :big grin: Apparently it's not nearly as bad bad as other brakes as far as blast goes. I'm trying to convince Laurel to finish her AR, but she wants to build a Remington 700. All she needs for her AR is a barrel assembly, charging handle, and BCG.

10. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

they are LOUD,but very effective

11. One of the guys at rifle league last week brought an AR-10 with a brake. I doubt I'll be able to outdo him. :hs:

12. FUCK. I drove to rifle league and noticed there were a lot more cars than usual in the parking lot. No big deal, all the yuppies turn out on friday nights in their office wear, with their vapid girlfriends so they can rent a pistol, fire off a few boxes of insanely expensive ammo, sweep everyone in the bay, and then leave. I get my rifle out of my car and go to walk in and I see one of the other rifle league guys coming out of the building. Turns out that they cancelled rifle league tonight, but didn't bother to tell us last week. Great. I considered driving to the range right up the street from my house just so I could try out the FSC556, but I don't think that I'd really see its benefit single loading rounds and shooting from a bench. There really isn't anywhere around here where I can shoot in a rapid manner.

13. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

PWS brakes are OK.

In terms of flash suppression, they're not Blackouts.

But at least they look neat.

14. The point here is that it's a decent brake and a decent flash suppressor. It's not the best brake, and it's not the best flash suppressor, but it's a good mix of the two. Keep in mind the purpose of a flash suppressor though; to minimize muzzle flash interference with NVG, to maintain the natural night vision of the eye when not using NVG, to keep the flash out of the shooter's line of sight, and to make it harder for an opponent to detect the shooter by looking for the muzzle flash. While there are flash suppressors out there that basically eliminate the flash completely (like the blackout), that's not totally necessary for a flash suppressor to serve its function as it is intended. Now, from the videos and pics I've seen so far the FSC556 is quite capable of serving the traditional role of a flash suppressor. I was really hoping to test mine out in the dark last night so I could give some first-hand input, but the yuppies scuttled my plan until next week. :wtc:

15. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

fuckin yuppies

16. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

Steel Plate night?

17. It turns out it was a support the troops fundraiser, so it was a good cause. Still, I wanted to try my brake. :hs:

18. Ok, so I got to shoot it tonight. The rifle feels like a totally different rifle. I actually have to get used to how it shoots now. Where before I had to shoot controlled pairs at targets obscured by no-shoots I can easily fire double taps. The recoil and muzzle flip is significantly reduced. I can't wait until I get more used to shooting the rifle in this configuration, this thing is going to shed seconds off my times. As far as flash suppression goes, shooting the stage in the dark isn't a problem at all. Honestly, even though the flash suppression isn't as good as dedicated flash suppressors viewed by a third party, I didn't notice any increased flash at all as the shooter. It did its job of keeping the flash out of my line of sight.

Overall I think this thing is fucking great. It's well worth the money, and I can't see any reason to use dedicated flash suppressors any more.

As a side note, every goth, emo kid, and social misfit from the local highschool must have been at the range tonight. (not shooting rifle league though) It's usually the hordes of yuppie office workers that descend on the public range on Friday nights, but they were elsewhere tonight. It was like the Breakfast Club showed up tonight.

19. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Did it throw off your POI at all? I've got a match tomorrow and my buddy has an extra he's not using. There's an el presidente stage that I would really knock down my times if I could use it. However, we're shooting some stages at 200+ yards so I don't wanna use it if it will change my POI.

20. I don't know. I'll have to go to the range this week and shoot it off a bench. I thought about that, but didn't get to the range to test it yet. It definitely didn't hurt accuracy at CQB distances though.

Take pics of your match tomorrow and post them!

Edit: actually, don't shoot it tomorrow. I don't know if it's just me or what, but like I said, the rifle feels like a totally different gun. It'll take me a while to get used to it. If you're used to the way your gun shoots I'd stick with that for a match until you get more practice with the brake.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2009
  21. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Yeah, I think I'll skip on the brake. I've shot my friend's a couple times and I agree, it feels like a different rifle. I think you're right, it would throw me off sine I'm not use to it. I don't wanna screw over my partner too much in the team match because he shoots rifles a lot better than me.

I'll take my camera, it should be nice weather :big grin: