FSB & RAM speed...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ranthal, Aug 26, 2008.

1. ranthal

ranthal i did what?

hey all I'm working on my first pc build and i've been looking into different processors and rams trying to figure out a good way to match fsb and ram speed. i've done a decent amount of reading up to this point, but with all the different rules for dividing and multiplying out there i figured i'd just go ahead and post the questions i have remaining and what i was considering.

i'm thinking an intel core 2 duo processor w a 1066 MHz FSB. now these are quad-pumped correct? so divide 1066 by 4 and u get ~267. if i get a dual-channel ram i need to support twice as much so the matched ram speed would be 2*267=533 MHz?

some questions u might also be able to expand on:
    does the dual core have any effect on this relationship or is this accounted for in the quad-pumping?
    if a ram does not specify dual-channel should i assume it probably supports it anyways? (link to rams i've been considering)
    how about the debate between matching ram to fsb vs. getting ram one step up, i.e. instead of 533 getting 600?

sorry for the wall of text, thought i'd just get it all out now rather than throughout the thread

2. ranthal

ranthal i did what?

if anything just read the 2nd paragraph and give a half decent response :x:

:)squint: bump)

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

ram is cheap, get a 2 or 4gb kit of ddr2-1066. Shouldn't be more than $100 for 4gb of good ram from someone like ocz, crucial, corsair.

4. ranthal

ranthal i did what?

planning on running 32-bit os though so figured i wouldn't bother with 4 gigs esp cuz not much of a gmaer. r those good companies? also thinking g skillz or kensington cuz its what i saw a lot of on newegg

5. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

gskill is ok, I'd rather have one of the other 3 that I listed. Kensington makes laptop accessories, Kingston makes ram. Kingston ram is reliable, but for everything else, kind of meh. Nothing wrong with it, but I'd much rather have one of the others.

6. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

7. ranthal

ranthal i did what?

whoops, like i said first build. good to know though bout the brands still not convinced on paying extra for the 4 gig ram, think i might kick it up to a 1333 FSB and DDR2 800, seems more worth the price. what would really tax my memory that badly to make me go from 2->4 gigs? Looking ahead probably gonna try to get a video card so I can run it to my TV, no gaming really, dual boot w Ubuntu and Vista, multiple desktops?

8. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

That's what I did.

This is the memory I have:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184

4gb is $62 after rebate and 2gb is $36, so in my mind the price difference wasn't really a big deal. You get 2x 2gb sticks with the 4gb kit and 2x 1gb sticks with the 2gb kits. If you wanted to add another 1gb stick to a 2gb set in the future, you would loose the dual channel feature. Sure 4gb now is maxed out for 32x, but IMO it's well worth it. Windows 32 bit can "see" 4gb of ram, so assuming you're using a 512mb GPU you're still using 3.5gb of the 4gb.

9. ranthal

ranthal i did what?

yeah thinking i'm gonna get a e8400 w/ some combo mobo and i've been checking out the different rams and been finding a lot with some good mail in rebates thats making me think i might just take the added $30 for some sweeter features.

hows the whole dual channel setup go down? like if the mobo has 4 memory slots (for reference: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128337) w/ two sticks i'd need to put them in matching banks. but is it worth dual channel memory to share a bank if another bank isn't being used? or is it only worthwhile if i'm using all 4 slots?

10. ranthal

ranthal i did what?

also going with the ddr2 800 and the e8400 (1333 FSB), do i have to adjust the bios settings so that the speeds match? this would mean overclocking the processor yeah? pro and cons...

11. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Don't worry about matching speeds if you aren't into time=sensitive processing.

12. ranthal

ranthal i did what?

yeah like some of my prev posts say, system shouldn't be taxed too much either way so with the current specs should run fine, prob just getting ahead of myself

13. Vysion

Vysion New Member

Typically dual-channel RAM is sold in pairs.

Getting RAM one step up will allow a little overhead when overclocking a system. Going too high is just a waste of money and performance that will never be used.

Dual-channel RAM needs to be in pairs, and they need to be in the same bank which is color coded in the motherboard you linked. The yellow bank is channel 0, and the red bank is channel 1. If you are only using 2 DIMMs then you need to put them into the yellow bank. Either 2x2GB DIMMs or 4x1GB DIMMs if you want 4GB total. They have to be in pairs to enable dual-channel. 3 DIMMs would not be able to run in dual-channel. While 32 bit Windows can only address 3.5GB, that is still more than 2GB. RAM is pretty cheap and you'd be setting yourself up for when you decide to upgrade to a 64 bit Windows. It comes down to how much you are willing to spend.

For your first PC build, I would hold out on overclocking your system. You don't want to ruin anything from a rookie mistake.

Yes you are, the build you're looking at will be fast enough. Again don't worry about overclocking until you have your first build under your belt and it has been running successfully for a few months. You want to allow burn in time for your new processor before you try overclocking it.