FS: 1993 Rx-7 with LS-1

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Tictakman, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Tictakman

Tictakman New Member

Im not hear to listen to people complain about taking the rotary out so dont please. Also, not sure if I can post it in here so if its not the right place please move it or delete and let me know the correct place.

Here is the rundown of the car...

1993 Mazda rx7 touring red with black leather and sunroof, 77,000 miles
    1998 ls1 with t56 80,000 miles
    Hinson sub frame
    Hinson driveshaft
    1993 ford tarus fan
    Thermostat fan control
    New 1988 corvette radiator
    New 2000 corvette fuel press reg/filter
    Camaro radiator hoses
    Tein HA Coilovers
    JTR long tube headers 1 7/8 runners ceramic coated with vband connection
    custom exhaust with 2 3" electric cutouts after headers then y's together into a cat then magnaflow muffler.
    Sleek headlights
    TWM shift knob
    New tires
    Thermostat fan switch
    Dry cell battery located behind driver (new batter needed soon)
    Dakota Digital
    ECU tune by wait4meperformance
    Harness done by brismo

I have the power steering hooked up, I also have the condenser and lines ready to be hooked up for ac but haven’t yet...system still needs to be “modified” to work though.

I just completed the swap but I have run into bad timing because I’m graduating college soon and need some free cash to move etc. I can do the move without selling the car but if I did it would make things easier. If she does sell then I will most likely buy another FD and swap again because the performance is awesome!

The swap is basically done, the only thing I’m having trouble with is wiring the speedo and tach. The car sat outside for 5 years before I bought it off the guy in Columbus, Ohio. Needless to say the car needs to be repainted with a clear coat mostly and has a few random dings that can be taken out by a shop. Also, the drive side door handle broke last week (common among FD's). The interior is in pretty good shape; the seats do not have any tears but have slight wear on the bolsters. The car had a wing on it but I didn’t think it fit the cars look so I took it off (still have it if your interested). Let me know if you want more pics. Im selling it for 17,000.00 because I know it needs some paint. Car is currently located in Nashville, Tn, I may be able to work a delivery but we would have to work out details.

Email me at [email protected]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Short vids

http://videos.streetfire.net/category/Mazda/0/051c7531-9aa7-4a8f-87d3-986400064ccf.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Eu0spmzb4w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvUjg0jR-RM

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I love the headlight conversion, and the overall look of the car. However, you should be shot for putting a V in that car. It's not a goddamn Mustang.

3. Tictakman

Tictakman New Member

please read the first sentence man, thanks.

4. Eclipsed830

Eclipsed830 Active Member

:ugh2: The rotary is such a pain in the ass, I can't wait to swap the 4g in a FD.

5. deusexaethera

I read the whole post. I'll damn well tell you what I think. If you like the car and you don't care what I think about it, good for you.

6. deusexaethera

Put a Renesis in it instead.

7. Tictakman

Tictakman New Member

ya I guess u read it but it looks like you have the attention span of a two year old and the memory of a goldfish.

if you want to complain about someone pulling a rotary then make ur own post.

lastly, dont spam my post of your opinions, respect someones post...

8. Eclipsed830

Thats ok, after building 1 10 secound, 126mph FD, Im done with modding rotarys. The FD is such a good starting point to build a good track/drag/street car combo, once you get rid of the junk 13b and throw in a real motor.

9. deusexaethera

As per OT's slogan, "welcome to the internet."

Have fun with your car.

10. Boosted98gsx

Boosted98gsx Active Member

Wankels blow my nuts. simply because you can have 100% of force in the engine and it only produces 60% of that power because the gas expansion doesn't direct force in 1 sinple direction. It has to move the rotor sideways as well as down which winds up being very innefecient. That's why you see FD's with 13b's and T88's only making 450hp.

11. nyuaznguy

nyuaznguy Member

Nice car man. Who cares you didn't keep the rotary. The LS1 is much more reliable.

12. Mr3plus1

Mr3plus1 Too many projects

Man, where did you even hear that? Sideways? WTF. Think of what it would look like in the combustion chamber. The rotor gets closer, pushes you against the wall, a spark plug fires behind you, bam! rotor starts moving away. You'd see the same thing happen if your back was to the spark plug in a piston engine. Only difference is the floor is the only moving thing to you, not the floor and the wall like in a rotary. Technically, the motor is more than "efficient" Think how much power you're getting out of 1.3L of displacement. Its not "efficient" in the practical world because its just not reliable enough. The same explosion thats driving the rotor away from the wall of the housing is also running into the seals at the far edges of the rotor, the weakest part in the combustion chamber. Dont get me wrong, its a shitty engine though. Im doing the same swap to mine.

That has more to do with the limited 16psi of boost you can run safely on pump gas. Water injection or race gas and 17+ psi of boost and you'll see 600s easily.

13. deusexaethera

Only 450 horsepower? What is wrong with you?

That horsepower is generated at VERY high rpms, meaning that the car not only accelerates smoothly, it can also stay in low gears (and benefit from low-gear torque-multiplication) for a VERY long time. Only a very select few piston engines have such a high redline, and have such a high-speed power peak, that revving high is actually productive. The RX cars can stay in low gears almost twice as long as most other cars.

You need to learn more about engine dynamics instead of spouting numbers without knowing what they really mean.

14. Eclipsed830

What? My 4g63 revs just as high was the 488whp FD we built... and my 4g63 is stock head/motor, and it has a much more street freindly powerband.

15. bill blass

bill blass New Member

LS1>rotary..

beautiful car man

16. deusexaethera

Define "street-friendly". I fail to see how a powerband that gives the same acceleration at 20mph as at 75mph is not "street-friendly".

17. Eclipsed830

what?

18. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

BAD ASS, im not even fan of V8s

How does it handle thou?

19. Tictakman

Tictakman New Member

handles well, as said before the weight is almost the exact same. around 60lb difference which isnt bad at all if i end up keeping it ill change the bushings and put on new swaybars and wheels. then it will handle a lot better.

20. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

nice car

who ever gets it needs to get rid of thoes stock heads though, 98 heads were junk, and throw a ls6 on there. Def would love to buy one of thoes cars if they accomidated 6'5" fokes.

21. pure

pure New Member

where are you located and what are you asking?

22. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

:wtf:

Good luck on the sale bro.

I'm getting ready for an LS1 into an FD within the next year.

Can't wait. :x:

23. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

6'5" is about the limit, thats my height (36" inseam) and I fit but cant race it anywhere because a helmet is not doable.

We have a customer car putting 490HP (and 395 torque) to the wheels with a T61 at 20psi in his ported S5 13bt. I think the reason you see 450 with a T88 is because somebody doesnt know what they are doing.

24. pure

pure New Member

I read the thread then came back to post, i obviously can't remember for shit :o

Cool car, but I'm too far away. Good luck with the sale.

25. Tictakman

Tictakman New Member

sorry, havent checked the post in a bit. the car will soon be in Atlanta, most likely keeping it... im going to build the engine and maybe single turbo it within the next year. also get a paint job and rims to finish it off.

Zak