A&P frustrated v.rant

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by OlafBeserka, May 10, 2008.

1. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

Went and took pics tonight with NOR*CAL and I have to say my pics fucking suck. Im so frustrated and want to kill someone :squint:

We shot our cars in front of some school and his pics of his car seemed great, while mine were either dark or had hot spots. For reference his car is white while mine is blue. I couldnt get the car evenly lit nor could I get rid of hot spots. Tried with 2-4 flash all with fail :ugh2:

pics will come tomorrow afternoon/evening(saturday)

:madfawk::madfawk::uh::uh:

2. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Just takes time. Keep shooting.

3. mojito

mojito New Member

think about it for a second, you're trying to light a large specular object with a couple small light sources.

I'm not an auto photog, but you want the largest light sources available, not a small soft box. Most car commercials are shot on overcast days or in the shade for a reason. Studios will use huge diffusion panels to help emulate a sky

4. OlafBeserka

sigh Ive calmed down heh. I forget how supportive and informational this place can be.

Anyways not all shots came out bad just most :hs: Heading out to go mountain biking, when I get back Im going to PP the images and post them up.

5. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

I've learned that frustration is part of the game, but when you get the shot you want or weren't expecting, it makes you feel so good its ureal!!!

6. OlafBeserka

the only good pic i got. You can see the hotspot on the back of my car. All my pics have them :hs: oh well, just gotta try again.

[​IMG]

7. isaac86hatch

Back ground is way to busy. Perhaps if you had more light on the cars so you could tone it down it would be a bit better. The "hotspot" on your car is about the last thing I'm worried about with that photo. Blue car vs White car bugs me. You need to find a way to make your car pop like the bimmer. Perhaps a 3/4 shot with the bimmer slightly in the background.

Another idea would be to shoot at a better time. If this were done during the day I would not be seeing all the lights from whatever building that is, which BTW does nothing for your shoot.

Trees growing from cars.

I think you should work on your setting before you worry about technical details.

You're out doing it, and that is the best way to learn. Like I said before: just keep shooting and practicing.

8. OlafBeserka

I did learn a lot from the shoot, especially how the aperture and exposure settings change the lighting. It gives me a better idea of what to do next time.

9. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

Fill me in. I've always wondered what effect it would have on it too.

10. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

From my take on it. Closing down the aperature will allow less ambient light in and focus more on highlights.

Imagine the same pic posted above, but only the cars and lights are illuminated. I'd post a pic, but they're on my work computer.

11. nine

nine OT Supporter

shutter speed would have more effect on the ambient. aperture would control the flash exposure.

12. isaac86hatch

shutter /ambient
    aperture /strobe + ambient

For instance. You're shooting a person outdoors. You want a dramatic sky in the background with dark skies and plenty of cloud details, but you want the person well lit and not under/overexposed.

You set up your flashes at 1/16th power and fire off a test shot at f5.6 at 1/100th of a second and ISO 200. Now a few decisions should be made here after chimping.

-You notice that the sky is a bit blown out or is just a bit to bright for what you want. Speed up the shutter: sky and background (and anything not receiving flash) will get darker.

-You notice that the sky is nice and rich and exactly how you want it but what is being "strobed" is too bright and details are being blown. Stop down the aperture: person/subject (and anything receiving flash) will get darker.

It really is about that simple. However once you master that, you can start playing with ISO to achieve certain ratios. The best thing to do is just set up some sort of test subject and your flashes and play with flash duration ("power"), ISO, aperture and shutter speed. Then throw them all in PS, Bridge, LR etc and see what all the changes did. Also make sure you note what power setting the flashes were on.

13. Spurious

Spurious New Member

Such delicious and helpful advice. :bowdown: