SRS Frustrated: Cannot balance Work & School

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Anna28471, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Anna28471

Anna28471 New Member

I started this new job last March. I made it clear that I was still in college and had planned on graduating so that is why I had taken the part-time position. My boss, Roy understood. In fact, he was proud of the fact that I made the Deans List and said "Way to make us proud!" Things went well over the summer until I had mentioned that I was interviewing for an internship. Our Office Manager glared at me. Keep in mind, this internship never intended nor did it affect my current position there...I have no idea what she was thinking.

Since I have been preparing for the fall semester for a few weeks now, I had asked my boss Roy for my schedule ahead of time so that work and college would NOT interfere with each other. And you know what? I thought it was pretty successful up until now. I got a call from another Manager asking me to come in tomorrow (she knows I have classes, I was told by a Professor it was important for me to make it on the first day). I told her I couldn't make it until mid afternoon and she got all pissy with me...saying she'd try to find someone else. A few minutes later she came back with "Oh, I know you're going to be busy with work all this weekend. I don't want to overwhelm you. You have college to deal with also." I think she may understand but won't know until tomorrow.

This job is important to me, I really like some of the people I work with....but others? My Office Manager came up to me the first day of work and asked "You're so thin. Do you eat whatever you want?" I said "Yeah" in a casual (wtf kinda question is that coming from you)manner. And she said "Oh I hate you" and stormed out of the room. Nice Manager huh? This girl is a year younger than I am and is so sarcastic (not only to me but everyone) it makes me sick. I can't bring myself to try to be her friend anymore...I smile at her, she never smiles back....only the basics "Hi" "Bye." So many people have quit this year because of the poor attitude from the Managers...I really don't want to quit. I would like a soild work history but I would also like to finish college...I'm already 26 and plan on graduating in Dec.

Any help?

2. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

i tried that, i just broke down, told them to go fuck them selves, now i make no where near the money, but ill do better in school this semester, and actually be able to graduate and not have to worry about work

3. Anna28471

Anna28471 New Member

I cannot tell them off no matter how badly I want it. I actually like the place I work for and would like to return for future events (Yes, it is an entertainment based business). But the people I work with are such *****.

4. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

What is the internship?

Sorry, do you have two jobs and study?

5. Anna28471

Anna28471 New Member

Yes. I have an interview for an Internship tomorrow (As a counselor for a Youth Service Center) morning for the college. And my boss from my part time job wants me to work for her even though I'm not scheduled to.

There is no way I could reschedule the interview either-- My Professor made sure we all knew that.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2005
  6. johan

johan Active Member

Your school life is an investment in yourself. Remember that, and never shortchange yourself.

This office manager is petty small-minded and does not have your best interests at heart. Not surprising though because you getting your college degree doesn't help her or the company. It is irritating to them, no doubt, to have your availability reduced.

I also wonder if the office manager is a little bit jealous. Did she go to college? If she went, did she get her degree? So there may be a personal angle to her resentment too.

If you want to keep on good terms and retain the possibility of future employment here, then keep it PROFESSIONAL. ALWAYS KEEP IT PROFESSIONAL.
    No matter how satisfying it would be to "tell her off", it really accomplishes nothing.

If she really is that bitchy to everyone, and people really have left because of her, then other people in the office will be aware of it.

Remember that those others have eyes and ears too. If they see you handling the situation very diplomatically and professionally...believe it or not, this impresses the hell out of senior people when they're thinking about who to promote, i.e. who to give more POWER to.

After your college career, you might just return to find yourself promoted over top of this whiny little Office manager.

Or after college you might discover that your passion lies elsewhere. But even then you can look back at your conduct with satisfaction and think about that little bitch who is probably still stuck at that little job she clings to.

7. Anna28471

Anna28471 New Member

I agree with you Johan. Now that I think about it, I remember a converation with her about my future a few months ago. She asked why I was interested in Counseling and then proceeded to discourage me by claiming "Who wants to go to college when you could be making money? Counseling? My father was a counselor, he couldn't take it....such a high burn out rate for that profession. My boyfriend was a counselor, he got too emotional now he's working some mediocre job but is happy."

I guess Counseling would take it's toll on those who weren't prepared for it. But I am. I wouldn't have gone to college for the past 6 years if my heart wasn't in it. If I burn out, I burn out....saving the life of a child is worth it.

8. johan

johan Active Member

Well, the burnout rate IS really high for counsellors. You need to care but not care too much. Remember it's a job, and you are in it for the long haul.
    Don't become overly personally invested in any particular client. Good luck.

Are you doing an RCC type of credential, or an MS/ Ph.D?

9. Anna28471

Anna28471 New Member

I am currently working on my Bachelor's degree. Once that is complete, I will work towards my Master's then my Ph.D.

10. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

You always have to go against the flow of the river in life, there's always a bunch of sick individuals in life who belittle and put darkness and hatred in your life. Never let someone put you down or feel small, you don't need their justification for what you are doing or what you are willing to achieve in life. However if you say things always understand that it can be used against you, in other words don't say to your boss , collegue's whats in your heart, but tell to them those things that they want to hear. Always put love and light into the situation, remember the loving intereaction that you have with other people is more important then the job itself. If people dislike you, they could easily give you negative critisism which leads to arguments and into the physical loss of your job. You have to 'learn' how to deal with assholes ,by basically NOT pushing those buttons that set them off, because all too often they try to climb to a higher position over the backs of dead bodies including yours. You should just let them have their way into whatever pointless thing they want to do, and you should just do your own thing. Avoiding conflicts is better then to heal from them, in the end its a job and if you lose it its not the end of your life , so its not important. Be like a pittbull grab into that what you want to do in life, and NEVER let go. Do you fight to lose or do you fight to win? Well last answer of course to win, so don't let anything stop you in your way of achieving a life of succes,whatever that means to you.

11. Anna28471

Anna28471 New Member

Well I just sent them an email. I had asked Roy on August 11th what my schedule would be like for this weekend and he said Friday Saturday and Monday. So I figured at that time I would have Thursday off. So my Professors scheduled an important meeting for me for today, Thursday. But low and behold, my boss calls me last night and asks me to come in.

I can't win.

12. johan

johan Active Member

Go in before the meeting, go to school and return after the meeting.

13. BradUF

BradUF Guest

lol at my work I filled out a change of days fourm and the boss said he could give me the days. I got none of them and more days then I wanted.

14. johan

johan Active Member

So post up what happened.

Couldn't you just go to work, take off early for the meeting, and then return to work after the meeting is over?

15. Anna28471

Anna28471 New Member

Yes, I told them I could not make it in the morning but I would (and did) return in the afternoon immediately after class. For once, I felt appreciated...it was nice.

Thanks.