frontier or dakota?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by autox, Jun 4, 2005.

1. autox

autox OT Supporter

Im probably going to go for one of these. My dad can get me the dakota slt for 21k, and Im trying to see what kind of price I can get the frontier for. I test drove the frontier today and loved it, but it was the le model, so i could only get them down to about 24,500. I think if I can find the se with 4x4 and automatic I can get a price competitive with the dakota, which I didn't like as much. Anyone who owns either of these trucks have any suggestions?

2. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

Frontier, no question.

I own 2 Nissan trucks. (3 Nissans total, 2 with well over 200k miles) They are damn near indestructable.

3. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Just wait a few months when the 06's come out. Then go in and work a deal on the 05.

4. autox

autox OT Supporter

My vw is dead, I really wish I could wait, but theres no way im going the whole summer without a car.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you will never get a nissan for as cheap as a dodge. But the nissan is a WAYYYY better truck. Go with teh frontier.

The 4x4 SE's are nice rigs. I just wish the Crew Cab has the bed from the King Cab. And for $24k you might as well get a brand-new Chevy Silverado 4x4...

6. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

...and have just as shitty of a vehicle as the Dodge...

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

are you one of those faggots that think if it doesn't say "toyota" that it's not good? Because I think you need to look around. For every import truck, there's 20 domestics. Chevy has the HIGHEST customer retention rate in the industry. The HIGHEST. Obviously people believe in their products. Chevy also has the lowest repair cost, and an extremely low problems per 100 vehicles (their trucks have a better rating than toyota and nissan, in this category). Add that to a truck that tows more, costs less, and lasts longer, and, well, you have a WIN!

Chevy cars suck... But Chevy trucks are damn good.

So what product do you think is better? The ONLY answer that I could even see as a remote possibility is the Ford -- and that's personal preference at that point. Nothing else comes close.

8. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

Based on my personal experience (and that of my friends and family), the Nissans, Hondas and Toyotas we have all owned have all been much easier to own than any domestics or any German imports.

That's where my opinions come from.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Toyota doesn't make a truck that competes with the Chevy/Ford fullsizes. Nissan has the Titan, but you can keep your warped rotors and overheating differentials. Honda doesn't even make a truck!!

wtf are you smoking. cars are not trucks

10. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

What's your point?

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

honda makes decent cars, but they couldn't build a truck for shit.

The same has been historically true with chevy. Although there cars are getting better.

12. autox

autox OT Supporter

After driving a f150, dakota, tacoma and frontier I liked the ford and nissan the most. My friend has a gmc sierra, and while its pretty nice, its not what I like. Going to have to find a decent loan rate, and I think the nissan is the truck for me, but we'll see..

13. Zimmy76

Zimmy76 I like my beer like I like my violence, domestic

take a look at toyota's

I own a F150 and have had several problems with it.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

have you seen the price of the yota? And when you look at the numbers, not only does it cost more, but it has MORE problems per 100 vehicles than the silverado/sierra. And the yota has a higher average repair cost.

So you pay more when you buy it. You have more problems for as long as you own it. It costs you more per problem. AND it's not as good of a truck. Why would you buy a yota, again?

15. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

are you one of those faggots that think if it doesn't say "chevrolet" that it's not good?

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no... There are many good products that are not chevy. And there are many chevys that are not good. I'd never buy a colorado/canyon. The frontier beats those. My point is simply the Silverado/Sierra 1500 is a REALLY good truck and that they're the same (sometimes cheaper) money as a frontier/tacoma... So why buy a small truck when you could have a big truck with more room and power?

17. Yes have some!

Yes have some! Active Member

Frontier...much better quality.

18. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

Maybe he doesnt want a full size truck?

19. autox

autox OT Supporter

At first I did, but I like the size of the frontier. Theres advantages to both, but at this point I'd prefer a smaller midsize truck.

20. diranged

diranged New Member

Ehh, I looked at a 2004 Nissan Frontier CrewCab 4x4 SC and a 2004 Dodge Dakota SLT QuadCab 4.7L V8. The Nissan has some nice styling queus and is definately reliable (my last truck was an 88 Pathfinder XE, thing is still running with well over 200K on it), but I thought it drove like shit compared to the Dodge. The Dodge is a much more comfortable truck, less road noise, and alot better suspension. It also WAS quite a bit faster than the Frontier. That may be different this year with the new 265HP engine in the Frontier though. I also do alot of towing, so the 300FT/LB of torque in the V8 is nice. Eventually it came down to price for me -- I got my truck for $23,500 with under 1,800 miles on it. The Frontier SC's were going for WAY more than that..

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the 05 is a completely different beast. Totally revamped suspension... Totally new drivetrain.

22. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

It's all new from bumper to bumper.

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it shares the same radio as the 04 ;)