Front Projector Recommendations

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nycmatt49, Mar 14, 2004.

1. nycmatt49

nycmatt49 Guest

So i've decided that I'm going with a front projector. And I am thinking that the Sony HS20 Front Projector is the one to go with. I do have a decent amount of light in my house during the day, so i want to make sure that it is bright enough. What do you guys suggest as far as projectors, setup, screens, anything else i should be considering.

2. 04

04 Guest

I'd try and isolate your viewing room from light as much as possible. IMO projectors look best when the room is as dark as possible.

Ive heard good things about the Infocus X1 projector. I would try out a DIY screen if possible, I've heard they are relatively easy to make and you get excellent quality, but I have no first hand experience.

3. cRaZe

cRaZe 3rd world slummin

infocus X1 all the way.

the video processing chip thats in it plus the really short throw which is great for small to medium rooms and its awesome picture quality sells me big time.

im getting one soon.

4. nycmatt49

nycmatt49 Guest

The Sony VLP-HS20 is a MUCH better projector than the Infocus X1. For the price, it's tough to beat either, and the Infocus is certainly cheaper, but I still like the HS20 over it any day

5. Q (_) /\ l)

Q (_) /\ l) Lurkage

6. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

I've seen both the PLV-Z1 and Z2 and I think they look great and the panasonic PT-L500 is also very similar to the Sanyo offerings. I've never seen the Sony, but it seems to get pretty good reviews as well. As for the ambient light situation, the biggest thing that's gonna kill you is light on the screen...minimizing light in the entire room is desirable, but light shining directly on the screen must be cut out. If brightness is an issue you may want to look at something like BenQ PB7220 which has a higher rated brightness than the sony at a similar price and also gets pretty good reviews.

7. 04

04 Guest

Why didn't you specify a price range then? :dunno:

I don't doubt the Sony is better, but it's hard to make reccomendations without a pricerange first ;)

8. nycmatt49

nycmatt49 Guest

Ya, forgot that part. I'd say up to about $4,000.

9. Cool~Breeze

Cool~Breeze New Member