front page 2003

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TmoneySJU, Sep 21, 2003.

1. TmoneySJU

TmoneySJU New Member

ok, i have the beta version and I'm trying to make one of my pages password protected, has anyone done this before? Also has anyone had any trouble with hit counters? For some reason it won't update, it just stays at 1 all the time.

2. MarvinMartian

MarvinMartian The many faces of...

It's because your using frontpage :fawk:
    Don't go asking for shit on your first post either.

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

MarvinMartian: Dude, lay off. We're in C/P, not OT. Add something productive to the thread or don't post. If its the guy's first time posting, its all good! Maybe kmontalto posted here because C/P is just that good! (uh, I doubt that, but I can dream.)

Returning to the thread already in progress...

kmontalto: I'm not a Frontpage guy which is why I didn't respond. I don't recommend Frontpage either. Although you're using it so I'm thinking either you're new to web development or you're host doesn't allow you to play with scripts of any flavor. So the next question is how serious are you about doing web development? Can we show you the errors of Frontpage or is Frontpage you're only option? It could be possible there's a configuration problem with your web host.

4. TmoneySJU

TmoneySJU New Member

sorry about asking a question there toughguy, anyway, nah, i'm open to any suggestions, i was just looking for some ideas, i'm new to web development, i'm just using front page because i am new and i figured it was fairly user-friendly. I'm not doing anything super complicated yet, so my thinking was to use that until i got a handle on it, then maybe move up to something more powerful. What were your ideas about other programs?

5. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

First of all, lets find out your motives. Are you:

- Just putting a page together for giggles. Impress friends. Kind of a one time shot thing?
    - Your desire is to build a web site and see how it goes. If you like it, you may think there's a future in it.

If you're in for the novelty, Frontpage may be the solution for you. But sadly, I don't have a solution for your Frontpage problem.

If you're thinking about web dev as a hobby, job, or career, then the next trick is to find out what scripting capabilities you have available to you. If you're hosting on a Windows box (or if you're web host is using a Windows server) then some flavor of ASP will be the direction you will go in (unless you find another web host). Otherwise, your web host may have available PHP, Perl, or some other forms of CGI. In this case, PHP would be the way to go.

Either way, if you go with a scripting language, there's a ton of things you can do (granted, not all tonight, but if you're willing to learn then anything is possible).

6. TmoneySJU

TmoneySJU New Member

7. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Your first objective should be to find out what scripting capabilities you have with your web site. Some don't allow you to do anything. Others allow you to do all sorts of stuff. I'm going to guess you'll either be able to do PHP or ASP (not to say those are the only 2 available, but they tend to be the most popular).

PHP and ASP are rather easy to learn. Once you figure out which you're site can run, I'd recommend spending some time reading up on the language. Either on web sites in the form of tutorials or grabbing some books (I learn best this way, but your mileage may vary).

You can also go the ready built scripts that are out there. For something like a counter, I am sure you can find a ton of free scripts for both PHP and ASP. You can always install one of those. At the least, you get to learn how to get scripts to go, although it doesn't really teach you much about the language. Now if you built your own counter (even if you had help with a tutorial or book), I'm pretty sure you'll learn a TON more.

8. TmoneySJU

TmoneySJU New Member

Our Deluxe w/CGI account supports 10 MySQL databases, PHP (v 4.3.1)/Perl (v 5.6) and CGI scripts on a UNIX/Apache platform

those are the details of what i have, i can always upgrade, but that's what i have now. Can you recommend some good websites for me to check out?

9. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

PHP it is then!

For scripts: (select PHP and then scripts/apps or somethign like that)
    http://www.hotscripts.com

The ultimate source for PHP documentation (with awesome comments and code snippets):
    http://www.php.net

With MySQL as your database, you can really craft some slick websites. I don't have any good tutorial sites. I picked up 1 PHP book and dug into the chapters I was interested in. I'm sure a google search will turn up all sorts of goodies...

I think its safe to say, if you can dream to have it on the web, PHP can do it.

10. TmoneySJU

TmoneySJU New Member

can you just give me a quick newbie explanation of scripts, do i write one, then plug it into some kind of application like front page or dreamweaver? how exactly do i use scripts? Thanks for all the replies by the way.

11. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

A script is a lose term for a file that provides instructions for the computer, but is not compiled or pre-preprocessed ahead of time.

Script:
    PHP
    Perl
    ASP

Not Scripts:
    C/C++
    Assembler
    Applications you find on your desktop

So for PHP to work, all you have to do is create a page with PHP code and save it (or FTP it) to your server. Then when you request the page from your browser, the server will look at the page and execute any PHP instructions you have in it before sending data back to your browser.

The easiest PHP script ever:

PHP:
    <?
    phpinfo();
    ?>
    You can copy that and paste it in whatever is you favorite text editor. Word is do-able, but not recommended since it gets a little too creative with spelling, grammar, HTML, and just about everything else. I'm personally a big fan of Edit+ found here: http://www.editplus.com

Once you have it in your editor, save it as phpinfo.php - you can name it whatever, but it HAS to have .php on the end so the server knows to handle your page as a PHP file. Experiment on your own and save it as .htm, .html, .pl, and .txt.

Once you save it. Upload it to your web site. Then go to that page from your browser. If all works, you'll see a PHP info page with all sorts of variable information. This page is very very handy for troubleshooting PHP scripts, settings, and data.

12. TmoneySJU

TmoneySJU New Member

what all gets pasted? do i start with php and end with the bottom line? or just what's in the middle of the lines?

13. TmoneySJU

TmoneySJU New Member

14. sm0ke

sm0ke OT's Stargate expert.

is HTML now dead?

if not. HTML is another option you could go.
    it's pretty easy to learn (not as complex as PHP i don't think)

check out www.htmlgoodies.com
    he has lots of info on it, and other languages also.

but some advice would be, teach yourself this stuff. don't run to programs to build webpages. once you start to learn it, it gets easier and easier, and you can do TONS more things if you learn the code yourself. so then, if there is an error, you can go in, find it, and fix it.

15. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Take exactly whats BETWEEN the quotes and paste it in your program. The <? and ?> tells the PHP processor (the Zend engine) to handle anything between there as valid PHP code.

I'd HIGHLY recommend finding a programming in PHP book. Go to the book store. Grab a couple of the many PHP books and thumb through them. Find one or a couple that you feel are easy to read and understand. Then jump in. I think you'll find the coding concepts will make more sense if you go this route...

16. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I'm not sure this is what you meant to say or what direction you're going in, but I'm taking it as the equivelant: "Is the wheel dead? I see everyone in cars now."

No, HTML is no where near dead. But to be able to do interactive things on the web, you'll need some form of server side processing. All PHP is doing it fiddling with some data and formatting it into HTML.

17. TmoneySJU

TmoneySJU New Member

I put in

<?
    phpinfo();
    ?>

into my text editor, save it as phpinfo.php, upload it, and go to the address

www.kevinmontalto.com/phpinfo.php

all i get is a blank page

18. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Try changing the extension to:

.php3
    .php4
    .htm
    .html

If it still doesn't work, then contact your ISP because they're not giving you access to PHP...

19. dingo

dingo Ron Paul 2008

20. TmoneySJU

TmoneySJU New Member

thanks guys, i'll try that php for dummies book and see how far i get.

21. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

another one converted :bigthumb:

i know ull enjoy php!

22. TmoneySJU

TmoneySJU New Member

for example, what is the title page for offtopic.com made with? the one with the 2 cars and the enter button? I guess that's a title page?

23. CyberBullets

photoshop i believe.

24. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Word!

Another good book is: Web Database Applications with PHP and MySQL. A book by O'reilly. Check it!

25. CyberBullets

dont quote me.