Front End Noise w/ my 03 GTI

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by vudoodoodoo, Aug 15, 2008.

1. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

So I noticed that my GTI was steering to the right making some tire noise. Probably need alignment? I checked out the front right tire and saw that there is a spot on the tire that is worn out. I rotated the tires (minus whale w/ the car up) and put one of the rear wheels on the front right s I would end up w/ the donut in the rear. Now it's making even more noise. :Owned:
    It's a weird creaking sound when I move from a stop. When I'm moving it makes like a soft grinding sound like "chkk chkkk chkk chkk" like something spinning and rubbing on something. Wheel bearing?
    It's been raining non stop here so I can't really get under the car right now.
    Any ideas?

2. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

Fucking VWs.

3. Virality

Virality New Member

Fixed :wiggle:

4. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

5. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

proably the cv boot.

6. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

I have an 01 passat on original cv boots, but an uncle with an 03 is on his second set

7. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

sounds like it could be a cv (from the noise) but I dont think it would cause increased wear. maybe theres a cooked bearing as well.

Also, I had a bad tie rod and the inside of my tire was cooked (as if there was excessive negative camber)... Fixed the tie rod and got an alignment, and I haven't noticed any unusual wear after that. The funny thing is that there is no camber adjustment.

Good luck buddy

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sounds like brake scrubbing to me. See if it goes away when you pull away from a stop with the brakes applied.

Failing that, it's probably a wheel bearing. CV joints usually only make noise when turning.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

There may not be a camber adjustment, but the wheels will naturally try to toe-out when accelerating, and since your tie-rod was loose, it was letting the wheels toe-out more than they were supposed to. That, in turn, caused the wheels to try to pull away from each other at the bottom, since the bottom is where they have traction against the pavement, and voila! Super-secret negative-camber ninja attack.