MMA From weight lifting to mma? v. newbie

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by ZeeMox, Feb 19, 2007.

1. ZeeMox

ZeeMox Opinions are like assholes. Fuck em. OT Supporter

I'm thinking about joining a Ring Sports United near me, but it's $80 a month, and that's if I sign up for a year. I probably couldn't reasonably pull that off and keep my $63/mo gym membership, but I don't think the RSU has any weight lifting equipment. I'm not broly or anything, but I have enough muscle that I'd rather not just lose. Will canceling the gym membership own the shit out of me, or is the MMA/BJJ/Boxing/Kickboxing at the gym enough to keep me in good shape?

2. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

it will keep you in good shape but you won't look like a bodybuilder or get huge.

If you do enough conditioning and keep up your diet you might be able to maintain your muscle, but then again I wouldn't know. Either pick one and learn to live with the fact that you can't have the other, or find a mma/mt/bjj gym that has weight training equipment.

And as far as overall health, it may be better for you to be in the gym doing cardio and weight training... There's higher risk of injuries when practicing this stuff (needless to say :o ). If you aren't worried about it, then definitely give it a try and see how you like it!

3. ZeeMox

I'm kind of short, 5'5", so I have no desire to be huge or look like a body builder. I just don't want shrimpy arms, and I have no idea what kind of shape this stuff keeps you in. This is all assuming I don't have a shitty diet - which I don't.

4. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

wow $60+ a month for your gym membership. makes me glad i live in kansas, i pay $25 a month for 24hr fitness here lots of equipment + pool + sauna +bball court + 24 hrs a day 7 days a week - no chalk allowed (this irritates me)

no gym isn't an option for me but if i had to pay $60+ a month for the membership i'd probably be doing pushups and situps at home and working out on the limited equip i have, do you have a bench or anything at home?

5. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

24 hour is pretty nice but those goddamn edged off plates make it impossible to DL, which is just about my favorite lift.

6. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:werd:

also darkostoj made a good point in F&N a month or so ago saying that you should be taking in some BCAA's (supplement) before doing strenuous activity lasting longer than an hour, because at that point the body starts to enter a catabolic state, and the BCAA's I think prolong the amoun tof time you can go before it starts breaking down your muscle for energy.

I got some protein powder at costco that has bcaa's in it, not for that reason just because of coincidence, but you could try this stuff. It's called EAS protein (i think it only comes in vanilla). $25 for 5lb

7. ZeeMox

There are a few cheaper gyms around, they're just farther away and not as good. I probably should switch to one instead of just ditching lifting altogether.

8. ZeeMox

I'm on the cut diet right now (wouldn't start the whole MMA thing until I'm finished in about four weeks obviously), so I'm taking Xtend.

I have protein powder with BCAA's in it, too, but I've heard it doesn't work the same as a plain old BCAA supplement. Dunno if that holds any water.

9. Searcher

Searcher New Member

If you can I would try and find away to do both......

10. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

they are awkward on every rep lol don't know why they had to be different and not use round weights

11. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

I agree. You can do maintenance workouts at home without much equipment:dunno:

12. ZeeMox

I'm in a 2 br apartment with a room mate, so we don't have a ton of space. Also, dumbbells are fucking ridiculous expensive.

13. flamingsnowball

flamingsnowball Only once the drugs are done...

dude how old are you?

i go to ring sports. im playing lacrosse right now so im taking a break, but i plan on training a lot when its over

14. ZeeMox

:cool: I'm 19, why do you ask?

What do you think of ring sports?

15. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

I do both but I have no doubt I could drop the gym and just train MMA and it would be plenty. I think they complement each other quite well though the core strength and flexability you gain from MMA would take alot of work in the Gym and vice versa for a heap of other things.

16. ZeeMox

What do you do for both? By that I mean, how much time in an average week do you spend in the gym and how much time do you spend training? I'm not sure the best way to balance this stuff out.

17. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Weights Mon Wed Sat
    MMA Thur Sat

Usually 90min a session

18. flamingsnowball

flamingsnowball Only once the drugs are done...

i was just wondering

ya ring sports is sick. you'll definately get a good workout

when i first started my cardio was so shitty, i barely could go 3 rounds on focus mitts :wtc:. after a while i definately saw an improvement. plus mark and kim are awesome boxing/kickboxing coaches. also, joel allows tons of mat time at the end of class

19. Searcher

Searcher New Member

I am going to do both.....All I can say is don't do weights right before you do a bjj class or at least in the beginning.....

20. ZeeMox

I deffinitely won't be doing both on the same day.

21. Searcher

Searcher New Member

Yeah I am sore as hell from that last night.......SORE.......

22. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

holy good god, 20 bucks for a family plan :rofl: that's crazy cheap. hoo-ray kansas

23. ZeeMox

I lived in Lenexa for five years. I'll never move back to Kansas again, probably won't even visit. Sure, the gyms are cheap, but I just felt like the whole vibe of Kansas City was very self-involved and gloomy. Oddly enough, Seattle is a complete release from that :eek3:

Obviously a lot of people think Kansas is the bomb diggity. I'm just not one of them.