From Symantec to Grisoft - Safe?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 4W4K3, Aug 2, 2005.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I used to have Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition, and i recently uninstalled it and am using AVG Free Edition. Wil AVG be jsut as good as Norton if not better, or am i leaving my system open to attack by switching to a "free/cheaper" AV program?

I NEVER trust free software like i do expensive software, that's why I'm asking this. I often recommend AVG to clients, but personally have always used Norton since i can get it. For a free AV program AVG, i thought, was the best.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I don't know anything about AVG, but since the company that makes it doesn't have a financial incentive to keep the virus protection up-to-date like Symantec does, I would put my money on Norton. I've used it since 1997 anyway, and I've never had any problems with it that a simple re-install couldn't fix. Never got a single virus either.

3. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

avg does have a financial incentive. it is only free for one computer in a home. it makes most of its money off of buisness contracts, where it is paid to make the best anti virus. i've never had any trouble with it. and i've always hated how clumbsy norton was.

4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

well i've been using Norton since i had a computer....i dunno 5-6 yrs.? Never had problems sept it's expremely slow and doesn't seem to DO anything lol. never had a virus before, and spyware adware is removed using SB S&D and other programs. so i wanted to get somethign that was less bloarted and worked faster, while not missing too much.

hopefully i made the right choice.

5. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

+1

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Never seeming to do anything is a GOOD sign. It means either you're not exposed to any viruses or Norton is blocking them all and doesn't have to weed them out.

I had an open shared folder on my computer in college so I could save school work on my computer from across the network; every time I came back from class I would see five or six virus capture notifications on the screen, so I definitely know that Norton does what it says it does.

7. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

probably true, but there are many better than McAfee. If you are very worried about viruses then i would use something like TrendMicro. I have cleaned up many networks formally using McAfee and Norton with Trend's corporate suite. It seems to do a better job and doesn't kill your computer's speed.

8. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Well i can't buy anything lol. I get Norton for free which is why i have used it all these years. So far AVG is holding up...i think 2 days virus free lol.

9. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

AVG is just as good as Norton at catching viruses, if not better.
    Its also faster, less intrusive and cheaper. Not a resource hog either.

AVG is just better.

you do know that certain Klez variants still walk through Norton right?

10. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

Norton (and McAfee) are like the AOL of internet security. Everybody knows the names so everybody buys it and everybody makes viruses that specifically target them.

I use AVG, never had a virus it wont take care of and with the computer skills my roommate has that is saying alot. AVG has new virus pattern downloads at a minimum of once a week, usually 2 or more. For the money (free) AVG is the winner in my book.

11. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

You're on crack. They have some of the WORST written software I've ever seen. I've lost count of the number of servers I've seen BSOD because of them. Their anti-spyware software has a HUGE fucking memory leak that has yet to be fixed. I'd rather use SAV, and I hate it.

12. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

the computer running AVG you have them must be hooked up and configured all wrong then, because AVG has yet to let anything through on my machine, or Zach's machine (he uses AVG solely, nothing else)

13. RalphL

RalphL Active Member

AVG is the shit. You faggots who use Norton/McAffe are retards.

14. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Yea, can't get a virus if it won't boot. Mcafee has consistently proven to be unstable in large server environments over the years. I can't count the number of times I've had to pull it off a server because it started bluescreening it. I brought up the spyware because it is just another example of how crappy their software is.

As for "stopping power", I've never seen anything make it past trend micro. They almost always release new definitions before Symantec or Mcafee. I use their consumer products at home, and have had it pull as many as 4 updates in one day as new variants are discovered during an outbreak. Their commercial products are rock solid.

15. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

ive been using AVG free for a while now. i set the scheduler to scan every day at like 5 AM. within 3 months theres only 2 cases where it found virus.

:dunno: i think thats pretty good. of course that could mean that its protecting my system very well, or its so dumb that it cant detect some viruses.

16. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

lol, people who like it pick option 1, people who hate it pick option 2.

but if your PC is still running after all this while...option 1 is obviously the answer.

17. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

AVG catches tons of spyware (it calls them trojans). I can't tell you how many machines I've brought back to life simply by uninstalling McCrappy products. McCrappy was a great product when it was a free download that ran in DOS but its been all downhill since.

18. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

:bigthumb: yeap. my comp is running just fine.

19. BinaryMadman

BinaryMadman New Member

Well McAfee, Avast!, Norton, etc. are very good, but only if you're willing to dedicate your whole computer for the purpose of security, LOL! I really don't like the annoying random system slow downs caused by them.:( Those are all massive resource hogs and have the highest amounts of awards, but for the average user they go well beyond the threshold of convience.

AVG does update itself frequently and has caught quite a bit of viruses/trojans/backdoors without any noticable depreciation in cpu usage. One time I was downloading a program through Azureus and as it was being downloaded it stopped the file process and quickly identified a virus. Sometimes I get the messages confused with popups because I notice no slow down in CPU usage as it monitors files. I think it's a good enough program for most.

20. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

All kinds of crap gets awards like that, for instance Hitler was Time Magazine man of the year. And what car have you ever seen that was never rated by J.D. Power as a best buy or a Motor Trend Car of the Year?

21. sholnay

sholnay New Member

Ive used AVG for several years now - I cant justify spending money for something that you can get for free - without the slowdown - I thought it was just my mediocre PC that couldnt handle the newer nortons.

I dont really care one way or the other - I havent had a virus since 1999 and I wasnt running any anti virus then. Ive probably only caught maybe 2 viruses in the last 6 years and those were in zips that I was probably never going to open or use. I like AVG - but the second i see a cheaper/better program ( ;) ) i'll switch for sure.

22. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I love how the latest couple of Nortons have that little popup that says something to the effect of "Your system just came to a grinding halt because its waiting for Norton to get off its fat, bloated, ass and scan the big file you just right clicked on or tried to install" Thanks Norton! :rolleyes:

23. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

24. sholnay

sholnay New Member

:bowdown:

25. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

its easy to win awards when you are paying the magazine.