from (homemade) dvd to mpeg?? or how to save a still image from dvd??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ebtromba, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

I hope the title of this thread is confusing enough. Here is what I want to do--

I have a DVD of a recital I played a year or so ago. I would like to take some still pictures from various points in the video footage. I made the DVD with footage from a borrowed mini DV camera and on a borrowed mac using iDVD or whatever its called. So nothing real fancy. (I don’t use a mac, and don’t have a DV camera and I don’t even have the original tapes, so I can’t re-record everything into my computer again, which would be real easy..:rolleyes: )

If there is some program that can extract a still picture from a dvd, that would be the easiest choice I suppose.

But my thinking is, if I could just extract everything from the dvd into a huge MPEG, or avi, or whatever, I could easily save some stills with the video editing software I use now. I understand one needs decoders for this??

I don’t know jack. But you already knew that.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

use something like PowerDVD. It supports taking screen-captures of DVDs.

3. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

hmm. well, it worked, but when i save to jpeg i just get this...

really the best thing would be to make my dvd to an mpeg. so easy from there. thanks for your help

[​IMG]

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I'm not helping you break the law.

5. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

uh...its a dvd I made myself...of myself playing a recital. relax... don't commericial dvds have some protections built in the stop unlawful copying anyway? when I made it, I unchecked the copy protect prompt...

please?

[​IMG]

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

If I'm not mistaken, that happens when the video player blocks you from taking a screenshot, or your video drivers 3D acceleration get in the way.

That said, I have no idea how to fix either of those things under Windows.

With regard to legality (even though it's clearly not an issue here), screenshots are almost undisputably covered under fair use. IANAL, but everything I've read supports this.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Screenshots are legal. That is why I offered the PowerDVD help (works great for me, btw).

However, the legality of copying DVDs or converting them to any other format is questionable.

8. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

ok, well this was way easier than I thought. I simply googled "dvd to mpeg" to see whats there, and this is what came up.

http://www.dvd-ripper.biz/dvd-to-mpeg.htm

downloaded the free trial and it worked great. tomorrow before i uninstall it, I'll if i can successfully copy a couple commercial dvds to mpeg. i am thinking I won't be able to, but I've been surprised before.

However, the legality of copying DVDs or converting them to any other format is questionable.

OK wtf, do you work for sony?? Its my damn dvd, I'll do with it what I damn well please.