GUN From gunsnet: Hi-Res AN-94 pics

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Clingman, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

From gunsnet: Hi-Res AN-94 pics (no56k)

This is the winner of the Russian trials for a new service rifle, Nikonov AN-94 'Abakan' Assault Rifle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From Defense Review:

"The Nikonov AN-94 Abakan employs something called "blow-back shifted-pulse (BBSP)" to accomplish a similar recoil-mitigation effect as the Ultimax 100 Mk3's "Contstant-Recoil". The AN-94's "blow-back shifted-pulse (BBSP)" recoil mitigation system employs a recoilling/reciprocating barrel system and a pulley system. This system allows the Nikonov AN-94 to fire two shots at high rpm (two-round burst) while the barrel is still moving rearward. So, on full-auto, the AN-94 fires the initial two-round burst at 1800 rpm (rounds per minute), with follow-up shots at the much more traditional rate of 600 rpm. Because the AN-94 is an assault rifle, that first shot from full-auto is fired from the closed bolt (for first-shot accuracy), as opposed to the Ultimax, which only fires from the open bolt, since it, by contrast is a light machine gun (LMG), and thus has a different combat role."

None of this is really big news, but the pics are hard to come by and I figured some of you might find it interesting :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2004
  2. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

That thing is as ugly as homemade sin.

3. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

I prefer to call it 'distinctly Russian'. It's quite a rifle :cool:

4. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Its never gonna make it into production because of its cost. I believe production cost is abou 3-4x the current production cost of the AK47, unless Russia is planning on selling some nukes on the private market I don't see how they are going to finance the AN-94. And yes it is ugly as sin, but its a sweet rifle or so I've heard.
    Hey Clingman you might not want to share off of Roberts site, he's kinda uptight about linking his shit. Or at least send him an email if you haven't done so already.

5. soccaian

soccaian New Member

i was also under the impression the rifle would not be adopted due to its complexity

6. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

The one official pic available of the internals shows only a small portion of the mechanism of the op system. And from that the whole system doesn't seem too complicated, but obviously more complex than the AK.

7. g1ock

g1ock Guest

How much do they go for?