MIL From civilian to Navy SEAL, oh my...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Accord, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Accord

Accord New Member

I was reading an article on mil.com and saw a link to info about something called the "SEAL Challenge Contract" which gives civilians the opportunity to walk into a recruiters office off the street and receive a guaranteed spot at BUD/S. I guess it's similar to the Army's 18x contract.

I wonder how many people who enlist with the SEAL Challenge Contract actually make it through BUD/S though, I would assume the people who make it through BUD/S are those who spent years preparing for it and those who have already completed at least one enlistment in another branch and know what it's all about who are already prepared mentally and physically.

The contract gives you the opportunity to go to BUD/S and all the other necessary training to become a SEAL, but I wonder how many civilians actually make it or if they're just offering this to civilians because they know most will never make it and will still be obligated to serve their 4 years doing something else at the needs of the Navy.

This is something I would love to do, hell I think this is something anyone would love to do, but after watching that documentary on the Discovery Channel where they follow a BUD/S platoon through their 6 months of training, I know i'm just not physically cut out for it and would probably have to spend years training for it.

2. TheNewMonaro

TheNewMonaro New Member

I'll try and find the mubers our Army got for direct enlistment into 4RAR (Commando), suffice to say the majority never made it through screening let alone training.

3. Accord

Accord New Member

No offense man, but i'm only interested in the statistics of those who successfully made it under the SEAL Challenge Contract, not Australian Commando's.

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I'm interested in both! :wavey: