friendship ended for a loan V. right choice?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by TheMarchHare, Jan 18, 2010.

1. TheMarchHare

TheMarchHare OT Supporter

So... i just lost a friend tonight bc she owed me money. I know that i'm not supposed to mix friends and money, but it happened.

i loaned her money about a month ago with the promise that she would pay me in 4 days. after a week, i ran out of money (had a grand total of 4.70 in my accts) i texted and got no response. the next day, i tried calling and texting. she only replied after i told a mutual friend to text her to she if she was avoiding me. she said she got paid but didn't have the money and could she pay me in 2 weeks. i texted her after 2 weeks, no result, and then i texted and called left messages on thursday, friday and saturday. nothing.
    her facebook page disappeared during this time. i figured she was looking to fuck me over so i dropped by her family's house today to ask about her. i told her bro the situation and as he was taking down my number, my friend (the one that owes me money) walks up the driveway... coming home from vegas with the bf. she insisted that her phone was @ home while she was gone.

she calls me later later bitching me out about involving her family n such and that after she pay me she doesn't wanna see me again.

did i do the right thing? i figured a friend wouldn't treat a friend this way, so i acted from that point of view... but i'm starting to feel guilty, maybe i took it too far?:noes:

2. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

how much money was it? if it was 100 bucks then yeah, thats a little bit overboard, but if it was like 1000 or more, fuck that bitch, get your money back, you don't need people like that screwing you over.

3. forgotmyname

forgotmyname Active Member

Of course you did the right thing. A friend wouldn't do all that shit. Fuck that bitch and make sure she pays you back and never see her again.

4. TheMarchHare

200 bucks.

not much money i know, but like i said, i didn't have much money after the holidays :p

5. source1tx

source1tx ..[DM/101]

I never loan money to friends or familly expecting to get it back.

6. Mugen92GS-R

Mugen92GS-R New Member

:ugh:

Don't loan people money if you can't afford to never see it again. You obviously couldn't afford to loan her the money.

7. TheMarchHare

yea, i had enough for the week, n she really made it seem like she needed it, but i didn't think about the long term.

8. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

9. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

I think he was simply trying to be nice to a friend who didn't care much about paying him back. SO yeah you he didn't do anything wrong if he now doesn't have any money and needs it back when the understanding was 4 days after he'd get paid. So no you aren't wrong because she didn't do as she said she would, not even in a timely fashion either.

10. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

This is why if you ever loan someone money you desperately can't afford to give them you write it down quickly and make them sign it.

11. ForgottenSpiral

ForgottenSpiral Hope and Irony OT Supporter

This. 100x this.

12. Nuhlinga

Nuhlinga Whaa gwaaan papcaann?

That's $18,000 in Jamaican dollars.

I'd be on her case too.

13. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

yea you did the right thing, i would have been far more pissed about it...in fucking vegas when she owes you money...haha

14. jim1234664

jim1234664 New Member

she should be the one that feels horrible for not honoring the terms of the agreement that she BEGGED for and in turn obviously dodging you and impacting your life in a negative way, fuck her.

15. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

Exactly.

16. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

An ex-gf still owes me about $280 when I paid a ticket for her 5 years ago. I never expect to see it again.

She's now a single mom living in her parents house so I consider it a contribution to charity.

17. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

18. AgGoNy

AgGoNy Active Member

people get killed for less, i dont think you took it too far, fuck that money is money. plus she came back from vegas, meaning that she had your money and spent it instead.

19. 2397

2397 OT Supporter

I think you definitely did the right thing and that you weren't out of line at all in trying to get ahold of her (even visiting her family's home -- hell I'd want to let them know she's a douche).

I'm sure you're going to be more hesitant about loaning money in the future anyway, so I don't get why so many people are repeating the "Don't loan people money if you can't afford..." advice + no sympathy. Fucking duh. I'm sorry that you lost money and someone you thought you could trust.

20. ForgottenSpiral

ForgottenSpiral Hope and Irony OT Supporter

I would never give someone money expecting it back. EVER.

21. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

It was probably worth the $200 to never see her again :bigthumb:

It's like Jack Handey says (something like) "if you loan someone $20 and then never see them again, it was probably worth it."

She sounds like a worthless bitch with no morals, honor, or integrity. Do you want to have "friends" like that? I know I don't. I would delete her contact information from my phone and go find friends who don't suck.

22. TheMarchHare

yea i'm usually careful about who i loan money to... i thought i could trust her, she's in grad school, has a prety decent job for our age, and she's been recently bringing me into her "inner circle" blah blah blah.. i figure she's a user.

yea just got out fo college and waiting for my first job to start

3. yea she seemed really angry about the brother thing... but what did she expect right? she said something about it should've stayed between us...

i wished she'd see that... her life is finally affected negatively by this and she's outraged. i've been suffering in silence bc i figured a good friend should, but oh well, common sense isn't so common now, is it?

that was the ultimate decision maker... i remember that jack handey quote, but realized if she was going about doing things like i thought she was (just thought of me as a pussy that would take being treated like this) i would have to showher otherwise. plus, 200 bones man, it's a handful of money for me atm.

but in all, thanks ya'll sooo much, the moral support is so helpful :wavey: :bigthumb:

23. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

:hs:

You can't lend anyone money with the expectation to get it back - even family.

I'm always that friend who will spot cover or a few drinks out at the bar, but I never expect it back, nor do I ask for it back, or accept it if they offer it. I know at some point, I'll need you to spot me a few bucks.

My friends have never asked me for more than $20 - and I've never asked them. I dunno, I guess I just feel like if I'm that desperate for money, there's other people I'd ask before I'd ask my friends - such as my family member.

24. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

There's small claims court if you want to go that route :dunno:

Regardless, never talk to her again either way.

25. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

I get that you shouldn't loan friends money, but at the end of the day if your friend was in trouble you would want to do anything you could to help them out.
    Looking at the situation he shouldn't have leant her the money, but come on - he isn't the bad guy here, she is. She said she would pay him back asap and she didn't. She then ignored him.
    The annoyance should be at her, not him.