GUN friends and I have started collecting blade weapons, suggestions?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 01000101, Jun 28, 2004.

1. 01000101

01000101 New Member

My friends and I have started collecting blade weapons. We have katanas, a naginata, a couple of tontos, shiroken, some Kit Rae swords and daggers, some generic swords, a Batlath (sp?) from Star Trek, and some other stuff.

Im looking for more! We've gotten most of this off ebay for fantastic prices. The problem is, I dont know what to search for! Im mainly interested in Japanese weaponry, or fantasy, just stuff out of the norm, like the naginata. Maybe an ashaderi from Wheel of Time or the like.

Thanks for the suggestions!

2. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

Only suggestion I have is to collect guns instead of swords. More fun.

3. KiddX

KiddX Tigth as Piston In Ferrari Engine!

Get the ENTIRE Lord of the rings collection, i collect swords and axes and stuff also, and i want the lotr

4. Dranian

Dranian (..)

get a sakaba/sakabatou.

5. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Oh so true. Only cuttlery I can recommend is an M-3 Trench knife with M-6 scabbard.

6. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

Since you've got some kitana's already, I'd definately recommend a Shirasaya katana, it's easily the favorite in my collection. Also if you've got the cash, any Paul Chen blades. They're expensive but quality. If you're looking to be a real collector of Japanese weapons, pick up a few books on it and read up on what it took to make one of those and some of the styles of the different sword smiths. It'll make you a better collector for sure. I recommend, The Japanes Sword: A Comprehensive Guide, it's deffinately something that can help you out.

Get a solid knights sword, I mean with a full tang, and good pomel.

Kusarikama: a short kama attached to a long chain that is used as a throwing weapon.

Butterfly Knives(not the ones that flip open, fixed blades), Chinese Broadswords

If you can find it, a Knights of the Templar sword is a nice show piece.

I'll only sometimes buy blades off of ebay when it's by a company I know does well balanced stuff.

7. 01000101

01000101 New Member

woah!@ fantastic stuff shaggy007! those Paul Chen blades are tight, and ive not even looked at the other stuff you recommended!

8. zero xeal

zero xeal Guest

You do realize that I don't think any of those could withstand being swung into another one a few times and survivng.

Nice bladed weapons that have the proper mixtures of metals aren't cheap.

I have an old short bladed sword(japanese), handel is owned, need to take it out and get it fixed up or do it myself, but it will be an awesome blade.

9. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

But they look sooooo fucking coool.:greddy:

10. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

$5 says half the shit they're buying is from a pawnshop or flea market :mamoru:

11. Wudan

Wudan Insert Avatar picture here:

12. bleak

bleak Guest

Very true. Good hand forged blades and, especially, old blades cost $1000's.

I'm an avid blade collector, and history major with martial arts and blade training (NISMOTom), and my advice is this: if a blade has "China/Taiwan/440 * Stainless", etc stamped on it, don't bother. Mass produced blades = cheap crap.

That being said, I'm a fan of Medieval and Japanese blades and have several (all hand forged by master swordsmiths). My most prized sword is an English longsword made by Daniel Watson (http://www.angelswords.com/).