SRS friend worked at my house, money, bills, "want to give you the rest"

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 7960, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7960

7960 New Member

short version.......a friend did work at my house. he quoted me "about $20k" before he started. It ended up being $24,000.

before the final bill came, he asked me "did you get a final bill yet?" and I said no. then 2 days later I get a bill in the mail for $5,000. I went to his office and put $5k on his desk and said "ok, so I feel like a dick for asking, but you specifically asked if I got a bill and i said no, and then 2 days later I got it so I'm guessing it was in the mail.....here's the $5k for the bill and I expect to pay it, but is this the bill you were asking about?"

he said "I asked because I quoted you $20k and your total was at $19k, so I wanted to adjust the final bill to be $1k so you'd only pay the original quote of $20k." then he kept $1k and gave me $4k back.

my question..............my wife says we owe my friend $4k because the final bill was $24k. I say *he* said he quoted us $20k so the bill should be $20k and we don't owe him $4k.

what do you think? do we owe him $4k?

2. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

I'm a little confused about how many bills you got and for what amount. Why did he send you two bills?

edit: nm I get it now. Here the law is that the bill can be up to %10 more than the estimate. But you'd know better than us whether or not you should pay your friend.

3. seismic

seismic New Member

He quoted you $20k, the bill came out to $24k, and he's only expecting you to honor the $20k amount?

4. 7960

7960 New Member

he billed me

$4k
    $4k
    $4k
    $4k
    $3k

that's $19k....he was guesstimating the cost, trying to make it work out to $20k. his billing woman didn't know that, so when the driver and bulldozer operator put in their materials and hours, it added up to $5k so she billed me for $5k.

he said he meant to intercept the bill and change it to $1k so it would be an even $20k, but missed it so she mailed the $5k bill.

a little more background......this happened a year ago. we're still friends. we've vacationed together, our kids still play together, he and I went on a couple hundred mile ride last weekend. this didn't, wouldn't, hasn't affected our friendship. but apparently it's been bugging my wife, and now that she got a job she wants to give him the $4k she thinks we still owe him.

to put her mind at ease I'll probably just go to his office and offer it to him and he'll probably refuse it. then we'll laugh, and go to a titty bar and blow $500 and I'll keep $3500 in my drawer :rofl:

5. 7960

7960 New Member

btw, I don't care about the law.

he's my friend. i care about what's right.

he went WAY out of his way to try to make sure the bill came to $20k exactly, but his billing lady messed up and sent the last bill before he saw it.

what's RIGHT? do I owe him the money he handed back to me that day?

6. 7960

7960 New Member

it was excavation so if it's all sand it might be half that, if he hits a few huge rocks it might go up 30%........it's all relative. there's no way to get an exact number before they start digging, that's why I was clear to say he quoted "about" $20k.

7. seismic

seismic New Member

Yeah. I was confused. End of a busy friday.

He quoted that amount, and he expects you to pay that amount, so I'd leave it at that. If he said "Hey, it came out to $4k more if you wanna pay it", would you have paid it? I would have, but since he seems to not care about it, fuck it, it seems like it's all good now anyway.

I don't think you owe him anything.

8. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

I think you've already figured it out then :)

9. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

If you don't think this is the type of friend that will hang it over your head in the future for whatever reason, then move on.

I don't see the problem.

10. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

:dunno: have you ever gotten a quote before? more often than not, the price quoted ends up being a low-ball number. it usually is 10% [or more] than the original price you're quoted.

to be honest? the money is coming from somewhere. this guy has to pay the 4k bill since you aren't paying it. i can understand where your wife is coming from. i would split the 4k that's owed, and pay him 2k. that way you're not going above and beyond for his error in the estimate, yet you're still being reasonable.

:dunno: if he wasn't your friend, you'd have to pay the 5k.

11. 7960

7960 New Member

I *did* pay it, and he gave it back.

thanks

12. 7960

7960 New Member

I put a $200,000 addition on my house. I've gotten plenty of quote.

he's my friend. this isn't about the games contractors play. my question was clearly about friendship. sorry to confuse you by giving facts :ugh:

13. 7960

7960 New Member

I will

not really

because he floated $19k of material that didn't cost him anything

14. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

I would pay the amount it was, not the initial quote.
    Things change and it's something I asked for, so I should be out of pocket no one else.
    Alike previously stated, at least offer and make sure he knows you are serious and that it is okay for him to take it

15. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

Best option, and I know its already been stated, simply ask your friend if he wants the other four grand.

16. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

All I can really say in this situation is if the roles were reversed what would he do?

It seems we all already know the answer to that. He would pay you what was owed.

Now ask yourself this, If you told him, no I underbid the job ill eat the 4 grand. Would he insist on paying you?

It's a shitty situation because you have your woman involved in it. If it was just you guys it wouldn't be an issue.

I say buy him a nice watch, throw a kick ass bar b q for his company and call it square.

17. 7960

7960 New Member

this is what I decided to do.

this is what I hope happens :x:

thanks

18. Lazy D.

Lazy D. Active Member

if it was my really good friend who I've known for a long time and whose friendship I value, I'd give him back 4.000

19. 7960

7960 New Member

last time...... I already gave him the $4k when i got the original bill and he gave it back to me. so I'm talking about giving it to him AGAIN.

20. uneek

uneek OT Supporter

I don't know you or your friend but he sounds pretty generous. He may just want to leave it at that, but I know if I was in your shoes I would also want to give him something towards the difference, but also honor his gift.

I wouldn't bring it up directly, and I don't know if I'd give him cash. Maybe pay for a vacation for him and his wife. I'd wait a couple of months, then maybe just bring it up when you're already in conversation, "hey my wife loves the addition you did on the house. we wanted to do something nice for you guys so we looked around & well, here you go, merry Christmas"

I don't know if you should spend 4k, I think that is a bit much. If you split the difference and go in for 2k that's pretty respectable imo, but again I don't know that I'd just hand him 2k, I'd try and time it as a Christmas gift or something

21. Lazy D.

Lazy D. Active Member

I am talking about the same thing.

22. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Your wife is confused.

23. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

Sounds like he's being a very honest and generous contractor, who abides by what he gives as a quote, which is a rarity in the industry.

Sadly, he's not going to last long if he's not willing to adjust the quote if things come up which cause cost overruns. Honestly, all I believe he should be required to do is inform you of what's causing these cost overruns and get your approval before running into it.

So.. in short, he should have wanted to keep the $5K, provided he got your approval for the cost overruns. If he didn't, then I think he's definitely right to not ask for the extra $4K, but, personally, if the costs were justified, I'd give it to him anyways, to try to keep an honest contractor in business

24. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

I'm confused. Was the $19K actual costs, or was he estimating future costs in those bills as well?

As in, was the extra $5K new costs, or should some of it been included in the original $19K as well, and was a mistake on the part of his billing girl?

25. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

this is how i understood it all :hsughno:

original quote: 20k
    paid up before last bill: 19k
    final bill: supposed to be 1k [to keep in line with original quote], but the billing lady sent out what was actually owed, which was 5k, ie, 4k over the original quote

friend wanted to intercept final bill, but it was mailed to TS before he could get to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.