MIL Friend wants to do radiology in Army

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Bacardi 151, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

Have a friend trying to join the Army as a radiologist. Is this a good job for him to do in the Army? :noes:

Thanks. :bigthumb:

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Absolutely. He will get excellent training and experience - and when he gets out he will go right in to an upper 5-figure income.

3. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

Awesome shit. :bigthumb:

Thanks for the fast reply.

4. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

Is your friend a radiologist already? Is there a reason he would prefer not to practice on the private side and make boatloads of money?

I'll be frank with what I know and have read about. Military medicine is in rough shape. I would NOT want to be a general surgeon or most any medical specialty in the Army at this time. General surgeons are getting screwed. Not because of the pay (it is lower - but thats not the point). They are NOT getting cases. If you are deployed you won't see shit compared to a regular hospital. Same with EM, a busy night at a level 1 trauma center is 11tybillion times better for your case load than EM in the Army. However, primary care and I'm thinking radiology should be a ok. You're always going to be needing to read radiographs so I what I said above doesn't really apply, but realize he's not gonna be getting jack shit as far as privleges go vs. private practice.

Check out this site: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=72

Take what is said on there and step back. There are a LOT of disgruntled medical doctors on there bitching about everything from pay, O6 nurses telling them what to do (even clinically :ugh: - seems relatively rare - but a PA or a nurse has no idea what the fuck is going on in many clinical matters, especially if the doc has experience under his belt), admin bullshit, blah blah blah. However, you gotta look at the plus side. That website will really really sour you to the idea of military medicine btu there is definitely stuff you learn from it that you won't from the recruiter.

What I said is meant if he's a radiologist already. If he's in med school I would really really think twice about military medicine. The HPSP program is great but docs get screwed since they can only serve back tinme after residency. And who knows he might be a GMO for a while too...most people don't like that.