A&P Friend wants me to shoot his wedding...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by DeepRun™, Jun 26, 2008.

1. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

He's having a small wedding so this will be free. His friend who was going to shoot with just a basic P&S can't make it and my friend said I had a nice camera and maybe I could do it. I told them I would hate to be the guy who screws up their wedding photos as I don't have the experience, but he was expecting P&S and I have my DSLR.

Only thing I have is a Canon XT and a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. I don't have a flash kit to bounce the light nor do I have any lighting gear. But he was never expecting anything professional to begin with. Just something that prints good at 4x6, 8x10 and wallets which with the Tamron I'm sure I can pull off if it's anything but very dark. I don't even have an extra battery and I have 3Gb in CF cards.

Should I bother? If I do, which I kinda do just for the experience, would someone in the Boston area wanna lend me their external flash that would work on my XT? It would be on Saturday.

2. alexromo

alexromo New Member

vivitar film flash heads are dirt cheap, they will save your life

shoot in RAW, so down the road you can use those pictures and make them into a digital album

3. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

Don't do it.

4. alexromo

alexromo New Member

even if its for free?????

5. Spurious

Spurious New Member

Wasn't this just posted?

6. Spurious

Spurious New Member

Especially if it's free.

7. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

He'll be expecting miracles simply because you have a DSLR.

big camera = great pictures
    big lens = huge zoom

8. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

if you're going to do it... just make sure he understands he's not going to get anything special, meaning you're not a pro and you can't duplicate their work. And also make sure he understands if he fucks up... his fault for asking you. Matter of fact, you should write a 'contract' that states "If I fuck up, its your fault". Then have him sign it. :big grin:

9. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Tell him for to pay a weekly rental fee for a 1D and 70-200 f2.8L IS and a 580ex. :dunno:

10. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

at least a 40d plus the lens and the flash. that would give you a 2nd body, a flash, and 2 lenses with a good focal range, then again, this is coming from someone who has never shot much more than a few kids portraits.

or tell him that your just not comfortable shooting a wedding, and you'd really rather not be liable for something going wrong.

11. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

if his expectation as that low, i say go for it...rent a flash and have him buy you another card 4G maybe? You will fill up your card if you shoot RAW, which i suggest you do so you have more to go with when you PP your shots.

It could be a good learning experience. Don't be scared to try new things and have fun.

like everyone is saying, make sure he fully understand what to expect. Set the bar low and you will be fine. But even after you set the bar low, i suggest you take the job seriously just to see what you can pull off with your mad skillz.

12. twinturboteddy

twinturboteddy Bling Bling!

lensrentals.com Start here and rent a couple things for a few bucks. No deposit. I am in no way affiliated with them. Just a VERY happy customer.

The BEST photographers start out small. Gary Fong started out with even less than you.

All the professional in whatever field you can name can trace their beginnings to humble starts with less than adequate equipment.

13. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

Thanks. He knows he wasn't going to be getting much in the first place and wasn't expecting it. I'll see if I can at least get the money for a flash rental.

I have a 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS Canon that could be used if it's outdoors.

14. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

:rofl: at Gary Fong....

But yeah, I agree.

15. johan

johan Active Member

I wouldn't go overboard with brand new equipment rented the day before.
    Unless you've used the equip before.

He's seen your pix right?
    So he's not expecting you to be something other than what you are... I wouldn't worry about being non-pro.

Unless your friend is unreasonable, or a complete idiot -- so you decide.. is he?

if you feel you have a good chance of doing ok...go for it.

Think about shots, sequences, where you want to be, what you want to shoot.

You already have a normal range f2.8 lens, no need load up on unfamiliar gear. I would make 1 exception for a fast prime, like a 35 f1.4 other than that, forget it.

stop thinking about new gear like bodies, unless you have some time to master it.

Think instead about photographs/shots/looks you want to show. then go shoot.

16. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

my opinion - I think as his friend you should not do this

however, I know you are going to, so that being said - I would buy 4 things

1) another battery
    2) another CF card (you are only going to get 300 pics on yours in RAW)
    3) a flash bracket and cord
    4) and external flash even if just the 420EX or even 220EX (although no bounce)

you can even skip 3 if you want. The rest will be under 300 and your pics will be worlds better. If you can get a diffuser for the flash, better still.

This will not make your pics good though, but if you shoot in RAW, you stand a better chance of having them salvageable. After the wedding, find a person well versed in photoshop to go over the shots. I would not get another lens or camera cause it is too much of a learning curve at this point. You need flash and the ability to store enough images to have a decent collection of useable prints and an extra batt to swap a few times.

You do not want to do this with the flash on the camera. I hope this ends well

17. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

I should clarify more as some of you think I want to go all out.

- He's more of a friend of a friend. My ex g/f's friend as they all taught at a karate school. I only hung out with him when there was a group thing.

- He's looking for someone only to replace the guy who was going to use a P&S to begin with. My ex suggested me because I had the fancy camera. I wasn't even invited up until this point.

- He knows he wasn't getting anything pro because he wasn't out to pay for one. But he said does want to pay me (I found this out just a while ago). He doesn't expect me to be pro-wedding guy with 5 camera dangling off me and lots of jumping around.

- The only thing I would reasonably see me wishing to have is a real flash. I can bring my laptop to unload 3Gb of photos and I'll be picking up an extra battery tomorrow. But it shouldn't be a problem as this is going to be a quick 15min ceremony (indoors), some photo time outside, and then back inside for the reception. It starts at 4pm. At this time it looks like thunderstorms & rain all day.

As someone said, I'll probably do it. It'll be good experience just to be in the environment shooting and I already have advanced knowledge of PS and a decent grasp of LR to fix any correctable problems. I have nothing going on that day anyway.

18. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

If you feel you can do it then go for it, but please get a decent flash.

I shot a whole wedding with 40D, 28-135mm, and 580EX.

19. mojito

mojito New Member

repost to the 11ty billionth degree

Cliffs:
    don't do it

20. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

Well, I did do it.

Would I wish I could've found a flash quick enough? Yes cause it would've been helpful. Did I wish I could've had fast glass for the interiors? Yes because it was hit or miss when they kept changing the lighting from dark to light for no apparent reason.

Was this a great opportunity to work with people & the camera? Absolutely. He has some excellent shots of the bride getting ready and group photos outside. The interior ones are hit & miss but better than what his friend with a P&S would've taken and better than nothing at all.

I'll post pics when I finish going through them. 635 images.

21. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

Here's a couple that pretty much are right out of the camera. Just some slight color tweaks which I'll spend more time on later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

His wife is Polish and those are her two friends helping her. They kept bouncing between arguing in English & Polish. They also had a laptop set up with a webcam pointed at them so her parents could watch from Poland.

22. Swoop411

Swoop411 New Member

Congrats on taking the plunge with something unfamiliar. Personally I think it makes you a better photographer to be "thrown to the wolves" every now and then. I am also betting you let out a huge sigh of relief once it was over! Now you just have to take away the lessons learned from the experience and apply them to future situations.

23. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

Yea. Don't do it again w/out the proper gear.

24. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

Boston has some nice rental places.. just ask the dude to pay the rental costs as your fee..

25. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!