SRS Friend/roomate is addicted to Oxycotton and is I dont know how to tell him to Quit..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Kingo, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Kingo

Kingo New Member

My room mate and friend for 3 years now is addicted to Oxycotton. He use to only do a little bit every once in a while, which didnt bother me. Now he does i t almost every day and i dont know why, but its been really hard for me to confront him. Has anybody ever had to do this? Im afraid of the reaction i will get from him, but i dont really care what it takes to get him to quit. Hes such a great guy and i cant stand to see him waste everything... Please help!

2. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

you have a long road ahead of you, but not as long as his

you cant make him start, or stop, or you would have. maybe suggest treatment, but this will most likely get you nowhere

3. MikeMarx

MikeMarx Guest

wait till consequences start showing up in his life, THEN confront him, it'll make it easier. If his life isn't affected by his use, then he'll just use that as a defense, if he can't pay rent/fucking up in work or school, then say something. But even then, you can only point him in the right direction, you can't make him do anything.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It might help to make some predictions, though. "If you don't quit, then this will happen and that won't work out and so on and so forth...." That way, he can see it unfolding in real-time when shit starts to go wrong. It might help him snap out of it; it can't hurt, at any rate.

5. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

wont help

6. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

Him quitting is his own choice, no one elses. Which can suck about addiction.

I can say that when he's ready to actually quit, make sure there is some form of professional aid...oxy withdrawls will make you have a bad week

7. CreditMVP

CreditMVP Dr. Johnny Fever

most likely whatever you would have to say to him will not change his mind.

8. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

addicts quit when they reach a bottom. cut off all ties with him. inform all of your friends so they do the same. make him hit rock bottom....

9. Redbeard

Redbeard OT Supporter

Never enable an addict. Dont do it. Never. Never.

Having parents that thought this way saved my life.

10. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

stop loaning him money?

11. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

:werd:

I follow the following advice when I'm dealing with a friend or loved one that is suffering from addiction. I say these in the order presented:
    1) I love you (family) or I care about you (friends)
    2) I'm concerned about your drinking or drug use
    3) I think you need help

And very often I leave it at that. All 3 are important because those of us that have suffered with this shit at times feel like everyone is "out to get us".

When I was in the grips of addiction and didn't want help, I would push my friends out of my life if they confronted me about my drinking. I wouldn't say anything to them, I'd just quit calling them and I'd quit telling them about what I was doing during the nights and weekends. This kept them from knowing how bad things really were.

The sucky thing about addiction, you are as powerless as the person suffering. You can't make someone stop, you can however stop enabling them....if you are in fact enabling. This is hard tho, noone likes to see friends and family suffer. That's why there are programs like Al-anon...for friends and loved ones of the alcoholic/addict.

Good Luck and God Bless.

12. hankthecowdog

hankthecowdog > Moderator

I m gonna suggest something different than most of the other responses. Why dont talk to him in a serious manner. tell him that you think he is using too much and you are afraid it will start seriously hurting him. tell him you dont want him to get hurt.

tell him what you told ot "Hes such a great guy and i cant stand to see him waste everything."
    maybe trying it in a non confrontational way so that it might help him realize he is doing it too much and might relax some with it.

13. Kingo

Kingo New Member

that's pretty much what i did! i think it went really well, thanks to everybody that posted their suggestions.

I finally sat him down and read him a letter i wrote to him. While i was reading he was making lame excuses for the points i was making and talking with denial. Then when i was finished, i gave him the letter (he didnt say much) and walked away. Except, i didnt finish the whole letter... there was a very serious/sensitive part that i left out (that also explained why i left it out). About 10 minutes later he came into my room (after reading the letter to himself) and admitted everything to me in tears. He apologized for everything and told me i was the best friend he has ever had. I cried too.

Now, we talk to each other on a completely different level. I feed him positive things in our conversations every day, and constantly try and remind him of what hes good at, how good he is, and what makes him happy. I think everything is going to work out well.

If anybody would like to see a copy of the letter i wrote him to get some ideas or whatever, just let me know.

Thanks again guys.

14. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

Awesome. Great job. Keep at it!

15. Scoop

Scoop New Member

ive tried to talk to my friends about their addictions. they always acknowledge it and pretend like our talk had a positive effect, but they are always in control and are always in denial, or just start hiding that shit so i dont ask questions

16. Coottie

This is what I would do also.

I simply couldn't imagine life without alcohol and I honestly thought my friends were just making a "mountain out of a mole hill". I mean sure....some events really got my attention and I was scared but I would always justify or minimize those events in some way. I honestly didn't think I was that bad...no matter what my friends told me.

To the OP, thanks for the update. I'm glad things worked out well for you and your roommate. Hopefully he'll be able to turn his life around.

17. gallivis

gallivis New Member

i was addicted to OC's as well and let me tell you i agree with tupac 100% giving ultimatums will not work at all, pain killers are a SERIOUS SERIOUS deal if your addicted to em, cuz without them you go absolutely crazy and will do even crazier things to get more. the only way your friend will stop is when EVERYTHING is gone...it deffinatly sucks to say but turn your back on him/her thats what worked for me. i had lost my mother/fiance/brother/friends to pills and only after i realized i was truely alone in it and that i might die any day i stopped, and saved my own life.

18. ~stangzorized~

~stangzorized~ New Member

yea, any opiate is really serious. If he's been on them for a long time, he might want to get professional help. Depending on the circumstances, it can be deadly trying to go cold turkey by yourself.

19. ~stangzorized~

~stangzorized~ New Member

unless he's a doctor or something, I'm sure he's already doing those things.

20. WAYNEHANDZUS

WAYNEHANDZUS New Member

I BELIEVE IT IS SPELLED OXYCONTIN EVEN THO IT DOES WOUND LIKE COTTON/ THATS HER3OIN LADY, THE HARDEST TO KICK AND THE MOST PHYSICALLY ADDICTING DRUG OF THE LOT OF THEM. HE'S VERY SICK WITHOUT. VERY MUCH SO, AND I WOULD FORGET ABOUT HIM AND JUMP OFF THE GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE, BUT FOR YOU, I DONT KNOW, TYHERES ALWAYS ROADS TO RECOVERY AND METHODONE WHICH IS ALLMOST THE SAME THING.ALLMOST. I DOPNTY NKOW WHAT TO TELL YOU. DONT EVER TRY EM?
    I ASSURE YOUY THEY CAN TAKE YOU OUT TOO. WELL. I'VE READ UP ON TGHE SUBJECT AND HAVE HAD TO OPPORTUNITY TO STUDY IN GREAQT DETAIL JUNKIES AND THE ACTUAL LIFE STYLE. THERE ISNT MUCH YOU CAN DO RITE NOW, WE ARE WAITING FOR THE DRUG TO COME OUT TO THE MARKET THAT REPLACED THE HOMER 1 OR HOMER 2 SCAFFOLDING PROTEINS OF THE NUCLEOUS ACCUMBENS OF THE BRAIN, THERE IS SOME BRIAN DAMAGE NOW. BROKKEN PAQRTS THAY CAN BE REPLACED ARTIFICIALLY, JUST REMEBER THQAT GOD NEVER MADE ANYTHING THAT ISNT PERFECT, THERE FORE YOUR FRIEND IS PERFECT, AS LONG AS HE HAS HIS MEDS, HE'S NOT SICK RITE?.
    REALLY THIS IS A TUFF ONE. SORRY SIS. SHIT HAPPENS.
    MAYBE SOMEDAY WHEN HE'S READY TO SOTOP HE WILL. MAYBE HE WONT, MEN AND WOMEN DIE ADDICTED EVERY DAY. IT ISNT ALL THAT BAD REALLY BEING THERE AS IT MAY LOOK TO YOU FROM OUTSIDE HIS BODY. THE MAIN THING THAT YOU CAN DO IT DONT GET HIT WITH THE SAME WEAPON. TAR SHOT. FOR SOME PEOPLE, IT AINT NOTHING BUT A THING, FOR OTERS IT IS SOMETHING SERIOUS AND BAD, . I WOULD NOT ADVISE GOING THERE , UNLESS YOU REALLY WANT TO BEFORE YOU DIE OF OLD AGE SOMEDAY. MAYBE NOT. WE'LL SEE ABOUT THAT IN TIME. LOVE WAYNE SF CA USA MY CAPS LOCK STUCK ON. THE 6 BIT IS ALLWAYS OFF AND I CANT FIX TELETYPE WITHOUT MY STOLEN TOOLBOX? MAYBE I AM THE ONE WHO NEEDS TO JUMP

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  21. Coottie

caps lock is the cruise control to cool