GUN Friend of mine's potential home defense weapon collection

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by P-chan, Feb 17, 2010.

1. P-chan

P-chan New Member

Oh boy. A friend of mine emailed me this :

Keep in mind this guy was a protective service agent in the military, drove/rode in the hard car for generals and US presidents when visiting other countries, and has shot more cool weapons and blown up more shit than I will ever get to. He's got a picture from when he was in the military shooting a HK briefcase MP5 :o

Anyway. I haven't started to argue with him yet about his home defense choices, I just replied with :

"I'd like to hear your reasoning for choosing those weapons and calibers for home defense, as well as your reasoning for not keeping a round in the chamber of a gun in a safe."

Anything you guys would like to add? :o

2. johan

johan Active Member

The part I find funny is this:

I don't doubt a 10 yr old girl can pull a trigger, even a monkey could, but she can make life/death decisions?
    Even if he means a few years later, that sure is a lot of weight to put on a young kid's shoulders.

3. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

taurus judge?

.38 super?

trigger locked shotgun?

wha?

4. P-chan

P-chan New Member

Personally I think these choices are pretty stupid, but the guy is actually pretty smart. He just hasn't done any research on the subject or probably really thought about it for more than 5 minutes. I wrote a long email telling him what I think about keeping a firearm around without one in the pipe. As far as his gun choices, I'll just be happy if he's got SOMETHING. I'm certainly going to try to convince him to get a real shotgun or handgun or even better, an AR as his home defense weapon of choice.

5. sp00n155

sp00n155 You underestimate the insignificance of my penis OT Supporter

whats this guys address I could use a new TV and free shitty .38 automatics and a free Judge sounds good to me.

6. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

And on revolvers too. Must've learned that from his days of carrying a Colt Peacemaker with TR.

He sounds quaint. I would soundly ignore anything he tells you about use of arms from here on out.

7. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

I don't think the cylinders were downloaded, at least until the .410 bullshit. Is it even possible to alternate .45 Long Colt and .410 in a speedloader? I think the head sizes are different.

8. gorkhostler

gorkhostler New Member

OH SHIT HERE COME THE ZOMBIES!!!!! *CLICK* We're fucked................

9. P-chan

P-chan New Member

No, on the revolver he said it woul be loaded and ready to go, but the ".38 automatics" would be left without a round in the chamber.

You and I (and everyone else in here pretty much) have talked about it at length, read about it, and thought about it - he really hasn't (yet). my goal is just to get him thinking about it and realizing that having a gun without a round chambered in a safe is retarded. If you have a bedside safe (like me), you should keep the gun in condition 1 (like me). :o

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

how much research would he have to do if this were accurate?

11. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I guess he's just a troop that does exactly what he's told, but can't think for himself (at least not enough to come up with a better selection of weapons for home defense). There's lots of those guys and they make great soldiers, but that's about it.

12. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

sure wouldn't be my choices.

Shotty (rem 870 or Moss 590) loaded with 00 buck
    Glock 17 or 19 with 33 round mag
    maybe a 1911
    and perhaps a .357 or .38 revolver for the ladies to feel comfy with

and everything with a round chambered.

13. P-chan

P-chan New Member

let me ask you this : What selection of weapons would be best if you were going to try to protect a submarine from divers armed with explosives?

I'm sure whatever your answer, you would probably get a different one from some Navy seals or some people who have done the job or done the research on what it would take. I think that's where my friend is right now. He's putting his best guess as to what would be the most effective for him, without having any benefit of doing any research, asking knowledgeable people about the subject, or even really thinking about it himself at too much length.

He's bought into the marketing for the Judge revolver and doesn't give his wife credit for being able to handle a 9mm or .40, period. that's where his choices come from, IMO. :o

14. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

the judge is 1 of the worst possible choices for a handgun that exists on this planet. it's complete trash

unless his wife likes to hunt snakes......

how does he feel his wife can fire a .45 from a judge and not a 9mm from a semi auto???

I'd go for a .357 or .38 revolver instead of a judge if it's the revolver vs semi auto thing.

there's no need for the 410 handgun, a 410 is a shit self defense round anyway

15. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I don't keep my 12 ga chambered because the plastic holds moisture up against the metal and it will rust. Getting one shot off and having your gun locked up doesn't seem like a good idea.

16. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

If he made you think the guys at SUBASE NLON use suitcase guns or exotic stuff like that...well...they don't, let's just put it that way. :hsugh:

Take this guy out to shoot a Glock, M&P, or SIG and try to save him from becoming another retard waiting for his CNN interview. I'm betting he'll buy SIG hook line sinker when you tell him the SEALs use it.

17. smartypants

smartypants New Member

.38 auto?

18. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

Frickin' sharks with frickin' laser beams on their head!

Duh! :rofl:

19. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

AR-15 carbine with Hornady TAP (or other quality SP/HP defensive ammo) and a weapon mounted light > all that.

20. sp00n155

sp00n155 You underestimate the insignificance of my penis OT Supporter

do you live in a rainforest? do you store your gun by just dropping it any old place in the yard? if not, what little "moisture" the shell is holding against your barrel is not going to cause any problems. if I'm not mistaken most all name brand modern shotguns have chromed barrels anyway

21. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

with the list the guy gave do you think he would flip all the way to an AR??

the guy wants a judge for crying out loud lol

22. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Skel Tecs are .38's right? In math you always drop the zero after a decimal..

23. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

That's no reason to only bring him half way out of his ignorance.

The AR suits all of his requirements (assuming from his selections): Effective stopping power, less penetration through hard surfaces, and easy enough on recoil that the wife (and daughter) could handle it.

24. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

True, but if you're in protection detail you probably know a little bit about the equipment you're using.

When you get out and go home, why the fuck would you be like "I'm gonna buy a fucking .410 revolver!" :mamoru:

You would THINK you'd be using what you had at work as a baseline to go from, that is of course unless the DoS et al are issuing Taurus Judge's and ".38 automatics" :hsugh:

25. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Well my choices are

1) Sti Off Duty 45 ACP Golden Sabre(Round in Chamber, Hammer Back, Safety On) which is one of my two carry guns
    2) S&W M60 357 Gold Dot J-Frame (All 5 Rounds, Hammer Down.) My other carry
    3) Beretta Px4 Subcompact 9mm Gold Dot (Round in the Chamber, Safety On, Hammer Down, silly decocker SA/DA setup) GF's gun
    4) Sear model 20, 12 ga pump action shotgun 00-Buck (Chamber Empty, magazine Loaded.)

And of course a cellphone and flashlight.