Friend needs a new laptop, here's what I told him

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by awns729, Aug 12, 2008.

1. awns729

awns729 New Member

Jan 4, 2008
    0 - Gateway M-6841 Refurbished Laptop Computer - Intel Core 2 Duo T5550 1.83GHz, 802.11g Wireless, 3GB DDR2, 250GB HDD, DL DVDRW, 15.4" WXGA, Integrated Webcam, Windows Vista Home Premium $600 - Toshiba Satellite Pro L300-EZ1004X Notebook PC - Intel Core 2 Duo T5870 2.0GHz, 802.11a/b/g Wireless, 1GB DDR2, 160GB HDD, DL DVDRW, 15.4" WXGA, Windows XP Professional $700 - Gateway M-6844 Refurbished Notebook PC - Intel Core 2 Duo T5550 1.83 GHz, 802.11g Wireless, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HDD, DL DVDRW, 15.4" WXGA, Integrated Webcam, Windows Vista Home Premium - $700 -Gateway M-153S Laptop Computer - Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 2.0GHz, 802.11a/b/g Wireless, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HDD, Dual Layer DVDRW, 15.4" WXGA, Webcam, Windows Vista Home Premium (Pacific Blue) - $700 -same as above in red M-153X Notebook PC - Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2GHz, Bluetooth, 802.11a/b/g Wireless, 3GB DDR2, 250GB HDD, Dual Layer DVDRW, 15.4" WXGA, Webcam, Windows Vista Home Premium (Silver) - $850

Okay, there's no reason to go with the Toshiba unless you want Windows XP. Vista's pretty good these days after all the updates. It's a little annoying with some features, but there are hidden ways to turn all those off. As long as you're willing to get Vista, forget the Toshiba. It's not as good as the others.

If you really don't want to spend a lot, the first one isn't a bad choice. It has a sliiiightly slower processor than the rest, but that's really it. It has enough ram and hard drive space to suit most people's needs. And unless you need some extra speed and bluetooth, I wouldn't justify spending the money for the last one ($850). You pay over 1/4 more than the $600 one for a slightly better computer.

I would probably base my decision on how much room I needed for my music, movies and whatever. Keep in mind after you fill up 70% of your hard drive, it'll slow down your computer significantly. Also, you'll keep adding to your music/movies, so leave some extra room.

If you're picking between the two $700 Gateways, I would go with the M-6844 because of twice the hard drive space and double the ram. Unless you really need a faster processor for video encoding or something else, I wouldn't go with the M-153S. I think the cheapest one is the best choice, overall. Spending $100 more will get you more hard drive space and ram OR a faster processor (by only a little). Spending $250 more will get you a faster processor and bluetooth, but in my opinion, it doesn't justify paying 25% more. I would get the cheapest one (M-6841), or the M-6844 (my second choice) if I wanted more hard drive space/ram, but you probably don't need it unless you do a lot of multitasking and have a lot of stuff to save.

Keep in mind the refurbs usually have a 3 month warranty. Also, if you think you'll want accessories, search for them BEFORE you buy it to make sure they're not too hard to find. Refurbs sometimes are hard to find accessories for. If you need help or need a certain accessory that you can't find, let me know. Ebay has almost everything.

If you want a longer warranty, Msoft word for $50 (this is the sale price, usually its > $130) and the option to customize (bigger battery, software, etc.), then look at the HP. With the HP (dv6700t) you get Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz, 2GB ram, 120GB hard drive, no webcam, wireless, msoft office, same screen size, windows vista premium...same stuff as all of these pretty much. It's $600 + $50 for msoft office +$50 for a 12 cell battery if you want (this is with the student discount, which all you need is a .edu e-mail for i *think*), and you can upgrade the hard drive, ram, add a webcam or whatever if you want. There's free shipping I think, but there might be tax.

If you don't want to pay for msoft office (with the tigerdirect computers, you will probably just get a trial of the program), there's a program called openoffice (, which is basically the same thing, except free. You can open msoft word documents in it and it has programs that take the place of excel and ppt. Or you could just downlaod word if you wanted.

Let me know if you have questions, and double check with me before you buy it, just in case i missed something.

....That's what I told him. Do you guys agree? Any better deals than what I found?
  2. SippieCup

SippieCup New Member

Aug 15, 2008
    check out vostro dells, awesome computers and you can get them very cheap as well.
  3. Jackace

Jackace New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    It's hard to beat a $500-$700 dell with a 3 year service plan for laptops. In 3 years it will be outdated anyway and you will need to buy a new one to run new applications.