SRS friend is thinking of commiting suicide

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Blizzard, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Blizzard

Blizzard needs to robusto

I dont know if this is the right section or forum at all...

I have been talking to a female online on and off for 1 year or so, i have not met her, just know her first name.

She is really going through a tough time, and had told me she cant take it anymore.. She has told me she came close to doing it several this past week and coulnt go through with it.

I dunno what to do ... how can i help her? I just speak to her online and im clueless

She has been seeing help for the last 3 years but with no help, it seems her family doesnt care, i really feel just will try again very shortly, recently went through an afwull expirence

2. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

be there to support her

someone get that site that talks about suicide in a rational fashion and show it to her.

don't be the one to let her down, if her family is not there for her you have to be. be that helping hand for people, ya know? it will pay off in karma or the future

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

First show her this.

http://www.metanoia.org/suicide/

you and her can read this

http://www.psycom.net/depression.central.suicide.html

Then show her this near-death experience of someone who commited suicide and lived to tell the tale

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/suicide04.html

and i have this spiritual book for her that prevented me from commiting suicide, its for the eye who cares to see. And to give answer to the question, where do we go from here?

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/kes/cycle.pdf

No matter how deep a soul has fallen, there is always a way out.

4. tris

tris New Member

I say just sit back and watch. It sounds like she's just crying for attention, which you should give her. You never know, it might result in some ass. :dunno:

You mentioned that she said she 'couldn't go through with it'.. that means something pretty big has to happen in order for her to work up the cohones to really do it.

Meanwhile, you're gonna try to save some chick that's so far away from you, that you'll look stupid tryna do it. If she's gonna do it, you wouldn't be able to stop her anyway.. sometimes people need to fall on their face to learn something. Apparently that's part of our human condition..

5. Indagator

Indagator Twist of Cain

Darketernal, that very first link you just posted is exactly what made me stop and think (at least somewhat rationally) years ago when I was getting to that point. The ironic thing is, I didn't recognize my depression for what it was at the time :rofl:. But I sat and read that and by the time I got done it helped me understand that it's very impulsive when you get to that point. Just like the anger flashes I'd sometimes get, very impulsive. I think the author makes a point of that too, by saying everynow and then "Still with me? good".

Just from my own experience (I'm not sure if she can relate in the same way), I had to realize that I didn't really want to die after all...I really just wanted all that anger, sadness, and other negative shit to stop. That lead me to look further into what I was feeling via internet. After looking at the possibilities, I talked to my doctor and to my old psych professor. I got the same diagnosis from both: depression. Alas! The enemy now had a name and a face and I had something a little more tangible to actually fight instead of just the "boogeyman" that was making me want to stop living (feeling the bad crap). I'm still here today, 6 years later :dunno:.

Maybe give your friend the links Darketernal provided, and make sure she reads them..the first one especially when she's feeling that low...it might help her better understand her impulses. Also I'd suggest to her that she begin researching her problem on her own along with any counseling/medication she might be on. Having a better understanding of what one is dealing with better equips one for the fight. To wit, "Know thy enemy". If she can begin to see those feelings as something "outside of the norm" for her, she can give it a "face" persay. That may help her alot, I don't know for sure if it will...but it sure as hell helps me even to this day.

Best thing you can do is be supportive, and listen when she needs to rant. Also try to keep her aware of irrational thoughts when they hit, because at first she will not be. It'll take a while for her to get enough practice to catch them as they come on. Oh, and also...if she is not getting therapy or at least medication at the moment she really should do that. If she still refuses ask her to look up "Cognitive Therapy" on the net. It may help her to be more aware of those "irrational thoughts" as well...it's what I currently use when I feel a depression coming on. Luckily for me they only tend to hit (hard at least) every few years, other than that I'm fine :dunno:. This too, must pass :).

6. Indagator

Indagator Twist of Cain

She very could well just want attention :dunno:. The thing is you can't just take that for granted becuase in this case falling on her face could very well mean her death for all we know :dunno:. Considering that people who are feeling suicidal will usually at least make a couple of "Cries for help" I think it's better to err on the side of caution.

Blizzard, check your PM box :).