SRS Friend is talking about Suicide

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by moses, Mar 16, 2009.

1. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

sometimes he's got good months, sometimes hes got bad ones.. but I'm really tired of not being able to know what to say/do to try and help him snap out of it. He's got a real bad attitude about life sometimes:

10:40:23 AM friend: there are only two options spend the rest of my life alone and miserable or end it all now
    10:40:34 AM me: hrm
    10:41:49 AM me: you don't need to off yourself
    10:41:51 AM me: just have fun man
    10:42:34 AM friend: how the fuck am I supposed to do that, people don't give a shit about how I feel or what I fucking want, so I have to either spend all of my god dammed time alone or tag along while they do their thing and quietly be miserable
    10:42:43 AM friend: I am alone
    10:43:07 AM friend: everyone has their own shit going on and they're happy with that, the only reason people try to be supportive is because they're afraid
    10:43:18 AM friend: they're afraid they may have to have my suicide on their conscience
    10:43:29 AM friend: they don't want to have to deal with thinking gee what could I have done to prevent it
    10:54:27 AM friend: this is my life, I wasted almost 30 years and now I have to pay for it
    10:54:33 AM me: man
    10:54:37 AM friend: nothing is going to get better no matter how hard I try so there's no longer any point in trying

etc etc.. things like that. He's been to a therapist before and been on meds but not currently on them.

halp?

2. SolidRanger

SolidRanger New Member

Not to sound like a dick, but it sounds like the guy is his own worse enemy and he needs to change a few fundamental things about himself.

He says "people don't give a shit about how I feel or what I fucking want". People only do that because he lets them. Respect is something you have to earn, and sometimes something you have to fight for. If he's surrounded by people who don't give a shit about him then why is he surrounded by them? He should kick em to the curb and find some better friends.

He's being far to pessimistic about life and people in general. The only advice I can give is to try and show him the light. Take him out, do something fun and introduce him to some new people.

But ultimately he is the master of his own destiny. If he's not going to do the things to improve his life, then that's really his problem. It's not your responsibility to "fix" him.

3. elmocall911

elmocall911 Guest

Call 911 or tell someone, let them handle it.

4. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

i told him that sometimes he pushes people away and shuts them out. i've tried several times it seems to show him things are what you put into them, but it seems like it doesn't get very far

i'd hang out with him more often, but he lives in another city..

5. DiggityDogg

DiggityDogg Guest

Take him seriously. There was a kid on our wrestling team who talked like this, and then one day he did it. Really makes you look back and wonder if you could have done something.

6. DiggityDogg

DiggityDogg Guest

Is his attitude like this because he is single?

7. 7960

7960 New Member

distance yourself. if he's not going to help himself then you can't help him.

no you coudln't have.

8. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

i can't tell really, but maybe.

9. phEight

phEight ...

I can't believe people here are saying to stay away from him. Ridiculous. He's your friend, regardless of the tough times he's going through or his current attitude on life you don't fucking ditch someone when theyre thinking suicide. Just be there for him and help him with whatever you can. His attitude is not helpful at all, I can understand that but try your best to help him see other wise. Get him Eckhart Tolle's book, A New Earth, or the Power of Now and see if he's willing to read them. He's got absolutely nothing to lose. I hope you don't distance yourself, worst advice I've ever heard.

These types of things don't boil down to responsibility or "it's his problem". The man is sick, he's hurt, he needs help. If you can't help him, or don't want to help him... then fine, don't. But if there is anything at all you can do then please do try.

10. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

i wouldn't bail on my friend like that. I try to keep him positive but damn it's hard sometimes.

11. bluefox1081

bluefox1081 New Member

What are his main problems that are bothering him the most?
    Sounds to me like he either has trouble meeting/attracting women, or he just went through a breakup.

12. Lazy D.

Lazy D. Active Member

that sounds familiar :o

Life is shit most of the time but sometimes it's not and those moments are worth living for. Even if it was shit 100% of the time, I wouldn't have the balls to end myself.

13. phEight

phEight ...

Hang in there man, wish I could help in some way. Truly hope things shape up for you and your friend. I don't doubt that it can get hard. I had a friend who talked to me about suicide a few years back. One day another friend who lived close to this guy said he saw an ambulance in front of his house. My heart sank to the floor hearing that. I never thought he would go through with it, and thankfully he called emergency after downing all the pills and made it out safe. Flash forward a couple of years, he was pretty much clinically depressed for many many years and was recently put on medication that has helped him immensely. I hope you never have to experience something like that, because even if anyone who talks about suicide is a huge pain in the ass, hearing news like that really puts all the annoyances in perspective. Good luck bro, hope he can get out of this hole.

and btw, in my last post the spitefulness wasn't directed at you.. rather some of the previous responses.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  14. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

He's simply making excuses for himself.