SRS Friend is going to drug treatment for the second time, what to expect?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MSIGuy, May 7, 2007.

1. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Okay, so here's the deal, a girl that I'm very good friends with has been struggling with addiction of one form or the other for the past 5-10 years. She recieved 100 days of treatment for (primarily) meth after choosing to go on her own.

She had been doing great, a perky, smiling, cheerful girl that you can't help but fall in love with--and then came relapse. She had another tramautic moment in her life which led her to use meth again, but stopped after 2 days of relapse and decided to return to treatment.

About a week after that she recieved a DUI for 0.09 BAC, which resulted in a 5 day jail term, and a choice of 1 year jail or 100 days in treatment, she of course took treatment, but since then has been going on a bender. Just tonight when I went to help her move she asked if I knew any diabetics because her kit was broken. I have no idea what that means, or what she's doing, but I explained to her that she can have my support and friendship or the drug, not both. (Was that the right thing to say?)

Anyway, she ships off to treatment in 2 days, and truthfully, I'll be happy she'll be getting the help she needs, but what should I expect from treatment? I mean, I know it's going to be tough (for both of us) but does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me? I've already told her I'll write her and visit her when I can, but other than that any way I can try and make her stay better? What should I expect when she comes back? I'm just looking for something here, sorry for the long post. Thanks.

2. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

Yes, 100%.

Don't worry about her right now. Nothing she says or does will make any sense to you until she cleans up.

For now, take care of yourself. Get in touch with an al-anon group and get to know some people who are going through (or have gone through) what you are dealing with.

You have to put your oxygen mask on first before you can help others with theirs.

God bless you both.

3. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

Remember, things dont always get better, they get different. When an addict uses, it is always the same.

Diabetics, she is out of syringes :(

Stay away, there is nothing you can do. Go to Al-Anon, and usually treatment facilities will have some sort of therapy for friends and family too. I would look into this.

4. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

I knew she was out of syninges when she asked about the diabetics, but I don't know what the hell she was trying to do. I've noticed track marks on her arms, and she's even tried to cover them up infront of me. What I did see was a few caps of pills around, like the 2 part ones, and when I said I didn't know any diabetics she started cutting up a Bic pen saying, "oh well, I can still snort it." What the hell was she taking?

The good news though is tommorow (today) she's getting transported to treatment, which sucks, but I'm glad she's going to get the help she needs again.

5. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

Probably oxy's. :dunno:

6. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

I honestly don't think I have ever known someone who was ordered to go to a treatment facility stay sober when they got out. She will get there, detox and then get a big book, go to some meetings and be introduced to the 12 steps, perhaps she may have some counseling sessions. But if she hasn't hit bottom or isn't viewing this as anything other that an alternative to jail, she will probably be using as much if not more than she is right now when she gets out.

7. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

I used when i got out of rehab for about 6 months...then...it got bad enough. I just had to check i guess. That was 8 years ago.