SRS Friend Commited Suicide Last Night, I'm Devastated

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Donniedrko, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Donniedrko

Donniedrko Debunking Religion One Day At A Time

I'm sad and outraged

One of my best friend committed suicide last night. He took his life as a result of the identical situation i'm facing today. As a means of coping, I need to get some stuff off my chest for my psychological well being. I started writing this last night before he passed away which make this even more shocking and distressing. The root cause of his suicide happens to be an issue a lot of you can probably relate to. I have been bottling my psychological stresses for over six years now and I feel it is important that i talk about it considering recent events. I feel it's imperative that if you are reading this (thus far) that you continue to read what i have to say. If any of you on here have any comments and i would appreciate some feedback. First let me say that from my countless visits to myriads of doctors as a psych patient, I've been treated almost identically by all of my psychiatrists. I feel as if I'm being treated as a subhuman. I know more about pharmacology than most Pdocs, but that's beside the point. To them, i'm an inferior human being. I apparently have no idea what i'm talking about and just a dumb patient. It's not difficult to see that Im a pharmacological lab rat. I know what works and what doesn't. But it doesn't matter because i'm on mute for the whole session. I've made it ridiculously clear that SSRI's make me suicidal, even after months of time to adjust. All of my psychiatrists know this, yet every visit I'm walking out with a script for new and improved SSRI! All SSRI's do the same fucking thing. I played along for a little while but after the fifty or so different meds, enough was enough. My friend really had enough and took his life because of these heartless fucks. There is some part of me, deep down that has an genuine aphoristic belief that someday this will change. Change for the way psychiatric patients are treated and taken care of, especially for the generations to come. The field of psychiatry has so much potential for improving the lives of others, but all it is doing today is making people worse. It's an enterprise of corruption that makes me sick. We are always the dumb patients who don't know what were talking about when we say things don't work. If you say the meds give you horrible side effects, they increase the dose, if you say that they make you suicidal, they advise that you take more so your suicidal thoughts will go away. Unfortunately, this altered his fragile mind even more and those suicidal thoughts turned into actions. As long as we continue to have these corrupt, ignorant pill pushers as our only means of seeking a healthy psychological lifestyle, we are helpless. The saddest and I mean saddest part of all this, is they have no shame, in fact my doctor told me he was paid $100,000 in full last year along with a two week golf vacation in the Bahamas by Eli Lilly if he met a specific quota to prescribe Zyprexa. That being said, we are heading down a very dark road. Psychiatrists are suppose to support, nourish, guide and listen to their patients. Instead they are harming them.

no tl/dr, if you don't wanna read it, please don't comment

2. butta

butta OT Supporter

First off I'm sorry about your loss.

Second:

I can kind of relate to you in a lesser scale. I suffer from really bad motion sickness and the doctors continually recommend the same shit and it does not work. I puke EVERY fucking time I'm on a plane :hs:.

Third:

Have you ever tried smoking weed?

3. butta

butta OT Supporter

How old was your friend?

4. Maybe

Maybe Maybe not Maybe fuck yourself

stop seeing them :dunno:

5. transistor

transistor Well-Known Member

6. ashzero

ashzero Active Member

7. butta

butta OT Supporter

8. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

This is not news.

Every psychiatrist knows that. It's very irresponsible for them to continue to push an SSRI even after you tell them about suicidal ideation. Not all SSRIs are the same, and many are better than others regarding suicidal ideation, but that potential effect still remains.

Side note: The SSRIs do not "make" you suicidal. They essentially just give you the motivation to do it.

9. 7960

7960 New Member

sorry for your loss.

no, he took his life because he decided to take his life.

someone isn't telling the truth here.

you believe they're harming you, you believe they harmed your friend...both of those suck. but they're also helping scores of patients, too. I understand you're sad and/or depressed and can't see it right now but it's true.

the ironic part is that people commit suicide when they're on the way up, so the drug stats working and the person starts climbing out of the hole, that's when he'll take action.

10. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

sorry to hear about your friend. You seem pretty upset with psychiatrists, amirite?

then the solution to the problem is to quit seeing them. The world has corruption everywhere, not just this field. if it upsets you, keep your nose out of it. Like me, I spot corruption in a heartbeat, so i usually refrain from reading most main stream news because i just get upset for nothing. Just join the crew of people that are honest and maybe slowly enough of the world will pick up and join you. by complaining you are not among the corrput group, nor are you with honest crew. pick a side. getting upset over affairs you have no control over is futile. how are you as one person going to change the way massive drug companies operate? answer me that if you will. if you dont have an answer then there is no reason to be upset :eek3:

11. Donniedrko

Donniedrko Debunking Religion One Day At A Time

I want you to read this NY Times article and comment back, alright?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/09/business/09anemia.html?_r=1

12. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

The whole problem is the protocol, its the same everywhere ,meaning you go thru the same procedure no matter in which location you are in. With rich drug companies pressuring the medical staff whom thru their patients they sell their medicines for millions if not more to shovle a treatment thru your throat you don't even need, your phychiatrist can goto the bahama's without feeling ashamed while you go in circles and your problem never gets solved.

The first thing is 'do not make your heart a murder hole', but that's not enough, you need a 'trustworthy' enviroment and persons to tell your story in,so just write down everything that bugs the hell out of you down in here. From there we can make an evaluation on which road which leads to recovery you can drive on which hopefully leads to a solution, instead of being tossed around by your welfare system. :sad2:

13. so the drugs are working?

"take this drug, if you dont kill yourself becasue of it it'll work."

14. O'Fuck

O'Fuck Guest

Sorry to hear man. Best of luck to you.

I've lost a few close friends and my grandma to suicide. My mom is always pretty close to going. Last month my ex tried to kill herself, and the following week my best friend tried to kill himself the exact same way she had.

The meds are a tough subject. I've taken pretty much all of them and they all made me worse. Yet I do know people that they've helped.

Just hearing about Zyprexa brings back horrible memories. When the doc put me on that shit, it was the final straw and I never went back to meds.

15. O'Fuck

O'Fuck Guest

And with all due respect, please at least type in paragraphs. Even those of us that want to read everything you have to say are going to have a hard time with that huge lump of text :hs:

16. 7960

7960 New Member

your lack of comprehension is amazing.

17. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

i think what 7960 is trying to imply is

medications are still effective in X number of cases. Those cases are of people that seriously have real chemical imbalances, or off beat physiological symptoms, etc. The drugs should be designed for that purpose, I would assume. You people that are taking these drugs and having bad experiences, do not need to be taking them. You just need to readjust your attitude or outlook on life.

As to why people that do not need drugs get prescribed them, money talks. I could easily check myself in and say im fucked up, and the truth is I am not one of those rare people ( i assume rare). The shrink will be glad to have me pay them for a drug, i guarantee it. And it is not going to work because it was not designed to work. It might make me worse off, but i dont need to be taking these in the first place

18. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

19. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  20. 7960

7960 New Member

uhhhhh maybe kinda.

in my experience people don't commit suicide on the way down. and once they're at the bottom they don't have the (pick a word...motivation, energy, balls, nerve, incentive, perspective...whatever) to commit suicide. then they get "help" and the help starts digging them out of the hole. for SOME people that means now they have the (motivation, energy, balls, nerve, incentive, perspective...whatever) to commit suicide AND they can see how bad they were and they don't want to go back. so for SOME the drugs can get them "healthy enough" to figure their life sucks and now they have the (motivation, energy, balls, nerve, incentive, perspective...whatever) to do something about it.

that is exactly why psychologists are saying people on these drugs should be watched very carefully, to make sure the suicidal thoughts don't turn into actions.

21. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Bingo, good sir. :bigthumb:

22. and your smug, know-it-all attitude on this subject amazes me. :hsugh:

23. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Next time you minus whale post "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT."

You'd get the same point across.