MIL Friend being stationed in alaska

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Clix, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Clix

Clix New Member

My friend just got his papers that he is being stationed in Alaska right outside Anchorage. Supposally the army is buildigna new hospital or something there and hes medical systems repair. Anyone know anything else about the base? (I dont know the name I didnt get told what the name of it is or going to be)

2. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

Fort Richardson is located right near anchorage and Fort Wainwright is located norther near Fairbanks. hes probably gonna be at Richardson, they are most likely building the new medical place so they can take care of a lot more people since there is a new airborne brigade being formed up there and a bunch of guys are going (my buddy is)

3. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

My father was stationed at a USAF C-130(he flew 'em) base in Anchorage back in the late 70's. He loved it.

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Alaska has bazillions of acres of prime hunting/fishing/camping grounds. I'm jealous!

5. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

My dad still talks about the days he would go out and hunt

6. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

oh yeah btw, i used to go to alaska every summer to fish with my uncle and dad, we even own some land up there on the Kenai Penninsula, which is south and slightly west of anchorage, hopefully will be back up there next summer to do some more killer fishing

7. Whoflungpoo

Whoflungpoo BlooRly!?

He should count his lucky stars he's getting richardson and not wainwright...

I lived up at Ft WW for 3 years ~ 90. My dad was attached to the sugar bears, and used to fly on the HART team.

the licked balls. It was a dry kind of cold up there, you couldn't make snow balls, but it made for excellent skiing (when it was warm enough to go up). also made for some helatious migranes for myself.

Anchorage is much better, a bit more temperate, the biggest city up there, and better access to fishing.

tell him to check out seward for sure, and register as a resident up there.
    Permanent dividend fund== teh win

ps: the days and nights will fuck with you, i've heard it's wise to invest in a "sunbox" to help keep your clock straight in the winter, lots o depression problems up there.

8. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

Sunbox?

9. Whoflungpoo

Whoflungpoo BlooRly!?

https://www.sunbox.com/Products/DawnDuskSimulators.asp

The nights and days are so messed up there, that they can lead to depression, mostly during the winter months. The simulated sunrise may help that out... and help to kinda keep your internal clock straight. It's wierd, in the summer, you never want to go to bed because it's always bright out, and vice-versa in the winter.

i've never tried it though

10. Cosmic Bandito

Cosmic Bandito OT Supporter

Its a kind of light the emulates the sun,or something like that.

11. Clix

Clix New Member

Yeah I told him he needs to register up there. 2k a month per person to live there. I went there 2 years ago for 2 weeks on vacation (kinda odd but something that not many people get to/can go see.) My grandparents wanted to live there so I got around pretty good when I was up ther with them. Hunting and fishing are :bowdown:. Was driving down the street in archorage and a damn MOOSE was just walkign along the sidewalk. This just gives me an excuse to fly up there and see him. Plus go do alot of other shit. I went fishing for halibut last time and it was a blast.

I went in the middle of summer so I know what its like. I just wanted to go do stuff all night long. My body was goin crazy. Hopefully everything will be cool.

Also, he is going to the base outside Anchorage so thanks for the name.

12. insomnia

insomnia New Member

:werd: :werd: :werd:

13. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

Alot of the guys who quit the q-course got sent up to alaska for the new airborne unit. I HOPE they have fun :wavey:

14. Liddy

Liddy Not enough cowbell.

I lived at Eielson for a year. Alaska is beautiful if you really make the most of it. Especially being near Anchorage, there's a fuckload to do both Summer and Winter.

15. Clix

Clix New Member

Hehe im already planning a trip maybe to go up there for christmas. Being in Texas, there was never been a white christmas so it would be a nice change. Plus might get in some sport too :p

16. deh310

deh310 and what have i become...

im heading up to richardson in march for the new airborne unit, im really excited. please tell me more about this permanent dividend fund