SRS Friend becoming a alcoholic...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BBQ Monster, Feb 9, 2005.

1. BBQ Monster

BBQ Monster New Member

How do you tell a room mate that you are worried about them? My room mate (Josh) is a realy good friend to me, he is just doing things I think he needs to stop. He has a drinking problem, he use too only drink during the weekends, but now he is drinking everyday of the week. I want to talk to him, but I just do not know how to address it. I do not want him to think I am calling him a alcoholic, but that is basically what he is becoming. Since he started drinking so much, I am guessing his routine is kinda messed up. He stays up all hours of the night slaming cabinets, turning his music up loud and talking to himself. It is bothering me not just because of his health and what the effects are having on him, but how it is also keeping me and my boy-friend up at night.
    I work early hours at a news station from 4:00 in the morning till 1:00 in the afternoon. I myself need sleep, but I am just so worried about his well being that even if he wasn't drinking so much I would still worrie.

He just recently broke up with his g-f (which is my best friend). Ever since the two of them have seperated he has isolated himself from me, his family and everyone that cares about him. The only time I can realy talk to him, or when he will actually say two words too me is when he is drunk. I care alot about my room mate, I just want the best for him. So how do you tell a room mate they need help? If I could only get him to open up and confess what is bothering him, I might actually be able to help him quite the drinking. Any advice guys?

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Talk to his friends, tell him he has a drinking problem and if anyone can do anything against it. For the time being adress him and tell him you are worried, there's nothing more at this stage you can do for him, you may well be able to change his thoughts by keep on talking into him into the right direction and trying to lure him away from the booze, getting rid of that stuff by any means has the highest priority. It should do the trick maby if you are able to call his mom, or whatever parent or person who is in charge of him. Inform him about anonymous alcoholics, and try to constantly tell him how that stuff is making a mess out of him, and that alcohol is no solution to his problems. Even if you have to say this a million times, at one moment if you put enough pressure on him, he wil hopefull snap out of it.

3. BBQ Monster

BBQ Monster New Member

Thank you Darketernal, you always give great advice.

4. My advice is to post this in the recovery forum.

5. BBQ Monster

BBQ Monster New Member

Okay, I did :)