fried graphics card?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dom, Nov 16, 2007.

1. dom

dom New Member

ey guys, any help here would be sweet:

bought orange box today, installed all good. on opening team fortress 2, pop up says it recommends installing newest nvidia drivers

so i get the ForceWare Release 163 163.75

i've got a geforce 6200 turbo, and basically every time i got into the menu of any game colours would go all funny and the computer would shut down. until finally (after a few times like this) i switch on the computer and the monitor remains blank.

is this a fried graphics card?

2. HYBR|D

HYBR|D Beep Beeeeee'p

check to make sure the card is seated properly. Or maybe take out the graphics card, and put in another one, uninstall the nvidia drivers. Then replace original card back in machine and re-install default driver and then try installing new drive again and see if it happens again.

If it happens again then it's just a screwed up driver, but if it don't then i'd maybe get your card checked out.

3. Kelex

Kelex New Member

sometimes this happens if you install the new drivers w/o unistalling the old one.

did you do it that way?

4. dom

dom New Member

ye i'll give it a go hey. cheers guys.

5. dom

dom New Member

ok so i bought a new graphics card a asus 8400gs,
    installed all the drivers that came on the disk. windows and everything runs fine but as soon as i try open the crysis demo (which has worked fine in the past) the screen goes blue and the computer restarts.
    i tried installing the newest drivers from the nvidia site again and the problem persists.

any recommendations?

6. AO

AO New Member

Reinstall the demo since it probably optimised the video the first time it was run. Nay, uninstall, run a registry cleaner, and re-install the demo.

7. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

You never mentioned if you deleted the old drivers first, either.

You want to delete the old drivers, then reboot, then install the new drivers and just for good measure, reboot again.