Freshly painted car... how to clean

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by moss, Apr 1, 2003.

1. moss

moss Guest

Well my car was just repainted about a week and 1/2 ago... I ask the bodyshop guy how long to wait till I wax, he said about a month, but I can still polish/glaze... OK. Now here's my question, when I can finally wax, should I just fo glaze to wax or should I do swirl remover, glaze, wax?

keith

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

You shouldn't need swirl remover or glaze if it's a brand new paint job. If it needs work, do it. If not, just wax.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

If the body shop left any swirls in the paint, you will definitely want to remove them with a swirl remover and glaze prior to waxing. In addition, you can use a glaze like Meguiars #7 once a week until you can wax since it will offer some protection (not like a wax though) compared to bare paint. After 4 weeks of polishing, you can just wax when it is time.

4. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Is it safe for your paint to use the polish once a week? Also, should a body shop leave swirls in the paint on a brand new paint job?

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

1. Yes

2. No, a body shop shouldn't leave swirls in the paint, but they do. I detailed a BMW 740i that was repaired and repainted at a BMW dealer and the idiot who buffed the car after painting used a wool pad and left it at that. No follow up with a swirl remover and foam pad and glaze and waffle pad like they are supposed to do. I honestly don't know why any dealership would allow a car that swirled to even be seen by the customer, but they did. I also e-mailed a thank-you to them for doing such shitty work that I was the one to correct their mistakes and get paid for it. No response so far.... :rolleyes:

6. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

:rofl: That's funny as hell. If I were the BMW owner, I would have submitted that bill right to the BMW dealer.

How much did you charge for that job?