TAT Fresh Tattoo v. gym

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Decease, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Decease

Decease New Member

I plan on getting a tat within the next 2 months (that's how long the wait is for my artist) but my main concern is. I normally hit the gym 5 days a week and with getting a tat will it hinder me from working out IE lifting weights. Or would working out mess up the fresh tat.

Read through Almighty's guide a few times but didn't come across anything regarding this. Not sure if any of you have or currently experiences but any input/suggestions would be great.

Edit: It's going to be my first tat and its a half sleeve on my left arm. Just so you have a general idea of what and where.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  2. Decease

Decease New Member

I'm just mainly concerned if I start working out a day or two after getting it that it might mess up the tat, don't think I'm too worried about being sore (hope not at least).

3. ERabbit

ERabbit OT Supporter

i would give the tat a little bit of time to heal, not to mention it will be a fresh wound in the midst of TONS of germs and bacteria

4. tehganj

tehganj oh, hi.

my advice is to hold off considering it's going to be on your arm... the repetitive motion could cause problems with the way it comes out/heals (imo) and :werd: on the germs comment.

5. entalmighty

entalmighty OT Supporter

Are you getting just the linework for the piece done, or the whole thing at once? I'm assuming since you work out a lot, your arm is fairly big. After several hours of sitting for a tattoo, the last thing I want is to move it around.

6. Decease

Decease New Member

I'm getting a full piece all around actually, but as far as my arm is. It's not that big I'm more cut than huge really.

So as far as holding off on the work outs, pretty much wait till its fully healed just from the others comments.

7. owenstar

owenstar New Member

Yeah wait....

1. the germs and bacteria like someone mentioned

2. The pain isnt really too much too worry about

3. Its an open wound....2 weeks and you should be fine....you dont wanna wreck your piece by working out....stretching and pulling of the area can cause damage or allow scabs to come off prematurely drawing the ink out...

Do leg machines and keep the tattoo covered...or jog around the hood

8. pirothezero

pirothezero New Member

Simple plan it around a recovery week and just take an extra week off.

9. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

Tattoo = open wound

Gym = Community acquired MRSA/Staph.

FUCK working out a week after your get tattooed... and even before and after, please sanitize what you work out on and with..

10. Decease

Decease New Member

Ya, I always have my own towel with me when I go.

Other than that I guess I'll just do cardio for 2 weeks while it heals up, thanks to everyone for all the input.

11. pimpofthenation

pimpofthenation OT Supporter

I took about two weeks off to let mine heal. I find that even if I am doing something like legs or back... I'm still using my arms to move the weight around, hold on, etc... So I didn't want to take any chances.

Use it as a quicky bulk and eat a ton and pack on a quick 10lbs and then get back at the gym :)

12. unigel

unigel New Member

I went to the gym with mine and it was fine

just didnt lift super heavy and if a shirt was irritating it I stopped doing that lift

most gyms also have anti-bacterial hand soap everywhere so just make sure you put that on your hands or use a bottle / rag to clean the weights pre-lift

13. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

I was going to the gym when I got my left arm done. I just waited a couple days but after that just keep it covered at the gym. I just used a towel if my arm was going to touch anything.

14. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

I got a tattoo on my ribs last week. I waited a week for it to heal and scab and start to peel before I went to the gym. Mine is a bit different situation though since it's on my ribs and not really exposed

15. Decease

Decease New Member

Thanks for all the replies and insights. I booked my appointment already and even asked my artist regarding it, he said give it 3-4 days before I start lifting and when I do just wrap it keep it clean etc. I'll probably pick up one of those under armour shirts that hug tightly to help keep it clean.

16. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

As in the other thread, I'd wait it out a bit. Better safe than sorry, no?

17. dontfearthegovt

dontfearthegovt New Member

I worked out 2-3 days after i got my bicept tattoo and it didnt get messed up or become sore at all.