Fresh install isn't sounding right, popping noise from the sub.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by StealthMode, Oct 24, 2005.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I just installed my subs into my 02 Jetta into the Monsoon system. Sounded great until last night and today, I turn the radio on and I hear a steady thump coming from the subs, and the protect light is always on. Last night it seemed to sound ok, but today, it kept popping and disorting. The gain is only turned up about 1/4, bass boost is the same. The impedance should be 4ohms, which is what the amp is rated at.. I am at a loss here, what's the deal?

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

have you checked your connections? they may be off or improperly connected

..or soemthing to that effect :dunno:

Make sure to also check for proper polarity blah blah blah

standard stuff

if you've already done that than I'm not too sure, usually with me I end up just fiddling for awhile

3. StealthMode

Will continue to fiddle! Hopefully I can get this thing working... :nuts: I really hope my amp isn't fried or something...

4. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Did you check your amp's ground? If the protect light is on, something is definitely wrong, could be the amp has just gon bad.

5. StealthMode

It's a JBL, about a year old..

6. radleyes

radleyes New Member

Be sure to check your ground wire and make sure that it is secure. You might have some wires that are crossed up or touching.
    If all of these are done correctly then i do not know.

7. StealthMode

Well, I tested everything and the ground is good, all the other connections are ok, and it was working fine for the first few days, until now... Now I am wondering if it is my amp... Every time I connect the ground the protect light comes on, tried another ground and it still came on...

8. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

meter the impedence of subs. make sure one of them isn't blown. check the input signal (you used an LOC right?) and make sure you have a good input. use a seperate audio source (iPod/etc.) take the amp out of the car and hook up to a seperate power source (any other 12v battery besides the car's will do if you don't have a power supply). connect the audio signal from your car to the amp while it is powered up in isolation. try that, then check back with any other results.

9. StealthMode

Yea, I was planning on doing that today. I need to know if the ground I was using is bad...Which would be weird because it worked fine for a few days, and everyone else who I have talked to who have done the same thing have no problems.. :dunno:
    I double checked my subs and they are 4ohms a piece, and I was only running one off the the amp. (bridged at 4ohms)

10. StealthMode

Ok, I took it all apart, and grounded the amp to the battery and the protect light didn't come on, so I through it all back into the trunk and tried every connection one by one, and she's working just fine now. Thinking maaaaaaaybe it was a loose wire.. No idea.. But it works for now. :dunno: I will keep you posted..

11. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

hmmm. oh well, glad it works again. car audio is dumb like that sometimes. having a problem, and all you do is sneeze at the amp and shit starts working again. hehe

12. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Yeah, I just recently had a really strange amp problem, so when I switched the left and right inputs and speaker outputs, the problem went away, so I haven't bothered to switch it back.

13. StealthMode

Well, now all I need to do is get rid of my sony's and get that ID12 and some trunk space back!