MIL French Foreign Legion??

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by R KriLLz, Apr 3, 2006.

1. R KriLLz

R KriLLz Uncomfortable in my own skin.

saw a program on the military channel about them...
    I was planning on going to the marines towards the end of the year... not ready to give that up, but i'm interested in the FFL.

anybody here a legionnaire? know a good deal about them?
    I'm looking for somebody to get info from.

but yeah... discuss.
    http://www.info-france-usa.org/atoz/legion/index.asp

2. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

3. R KriLLz

^^ still better than the army uniforms.

4. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

what exatly do they do anymore?

5. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I pretty much pictured them to be exactly like in that picture, but I saw part of the military channel show, and they looked like they were doing some hard shit.

That being said, fuck the French and I don't give a shit how hard they train (we still train 20x harder), they are a bunch of pussies who couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag.

How can you consider joining the Marines or the French Foreign Legion? Compare the Marines with the Army, Navy, or the Air Force. Not the French. That isn't in the same category.

Holy shit. An American considering joining the French.

6. Socrates

Socrates New Member

"A lot of folks are still demanding more evidence before they actually consider Iraq a threat. For example, France wants more evidence. And you know I'm thinking, the last time France wanted more evidence they rolled right through Paris with the German flag." —David Letterman

"I don't know why people are surprised that France won't help us get Saddam out of Iraq. After all, France wouldn't help us get the Germans out of France." —Jay Leno

"Did you see the new bomb the government came up with? It weights 21,000 pounds. The Air Force tested this bomb in Florida and the bomb blast was so strong at Disneyworld 25 French tourists surrendered." —Jay Leno

"Broadway producers are saying that because of the war, musicals are suffering from weak ticket sales. Not only that, over at 'Les Miserables,' the French are refusing to take part in the revolution." —Conan O'Brien

"There was another war-related casualty today. The French were injured when they tried to jump on our bandwagon." —Jay Leno

"A lot of Americans right now are angry at the French. In Washington, the cafeteria where the members of Congress eat announced that they have changed the name of 'french fries' to 'freedom fries.' Nothing like this has happened since the 1950s when 'russian dressing' changed to 'commie sauce.'" —Conan O'Brien

"In protest of France's opposition to a U.S. war on Iraq, the U.S. Congress' cafeteria has changed french fries and french toast to 'freedom fries' and 'freedom toast.' Afterwards, the congressmen were so pleased with themselves, they all started freedom kissing each other. In a related story, in France, American cheese is now referred to as 'idiot cheese.'" —Tina Fey, Saturday Night Live's "Weekend Update"

"Army personnel in Kuwait unloaded a dozen faulty tanks that only go in reverse. Tanks that only go in reverse — they've been repackaged and sold to France." —Craig Kilborn

"I would call the French scumbags, but that, of course, would be a disservice to bags filled with scum. I say we invade Iraq, then invade Chirac." —Dennis Miller

"The only way the French are going in is if we tell them we found truffles in Iraq." —Dennis Miller

"As you know our Allies of Evil are not being helpful with this Iraqi situation. With all due respect I think President Bush is handling this situation all wrong What Bush should do is send someone the French really respect, like Jerry Lewis." —Jay Leno

"You know why the French don't want to bomb Saddam Hussein? Because he hates America, he loves mistresses and wears a beret. He is French, people." —Conan O'Brien

"Well, it looks like we've moved a step closer to war. Not with Iraq. With France and Germany. How did we screw that one up?" —Jay Leno

"President Bush and National Security Guard Tom Ridge launched the new Department of Homeland Security, just 24 hours after taking us down to threat level French — I'm sorry, I mean threat level yellow." —Craig Kilborn

"President Bush has called for the end of the marriage tax calling marriage a 'sacred institution recognized by God and man.' Wow, this guy can't stop slamming the French." —Craig Kilborn

"According to the Pentagon today, secret surrender negotiations are now underway with key Iraqi military officials. That's what the Pentagon said: We're in secret negotiations, so for God sakes, don't tell anyone. ... What we're doing basically is giving these key Iraqi military officials instructions on how to surrender. See, this is where we could have used the French." —Jay Leno

"President Bush has delivered a new resolution to the U.N. saying that Saddam has failed to cooperate with U.N. resolutions, freeing us to get our war on. Don't mess with us France, or we'll send Jerry Lewis to Iraq as a human shield." —Craig Kilborn

"After what they say was an exhaustive investigation, the Defense Minister of France said today that Osama bin Laden is either still in hiding in Afghanistan, he may have escaped to Pakistan, or he may be dead. Hey, France, thanks a lot. We'll take it from here. Hard to believe they were invaded twice." —Jay Leno

"American tourists in Paris are reported to being yelled at, spit upon, and attacked by the French. Thank God things are getting back to normal." —Jay Leno

"French troops arrived in Afghanistan last week, and not a minute too soon. The French are acting as advisers to the Taliban, to teach them how to surrender properly." —Jay Leno

"Finally, this week the French soldiers have showed up in Afghanistan. Figures — just like the French to show up after the hard work has been done." —Jay Leno

7. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

Yeah I was watching that special on the FFL. The whole thing looked/felt like a prision. Felt bad for those guys. The sgt. training those guys was a us marine too. And damn, those recruits talk a lot of shit to their superiors. I don't know how us military superiors would have handled that.

8. Socrates

Socrates New Member

True, but on their site, when you click on "What is the FFL?" one of the lines is "They are volunteers of any nationality, race or creed, always ready to serve France."

I'd rather see an American serve America, rather than those ferries.

9. scottiemac

scottiemac It's time to shoot some hot dogs!

I saw that show too. Looked pretty hardcore.

10. Socrates

Socrates New Member

As soon as the camera went away they were having a tea party and eating crumpets or truffles or whatever the hell they eat.

11. Fearan

Fearan Guest

Socrates, holy fucking racism man. What's with all the hate? You do realize that kind of blanket hate is why people hate americans, right?

12. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

French Fries? ........................da-dunt Chssssss

13. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I'm mostly just bullshitting man. It's not the French I don't like, just the French government.

I just think their military is a joke.

14. Accord

Accord New Member

France is the only nation which needs a Foreign Legion. They're too pussy to have actual frenchmen fighting, so they need a Foreign Legion to have foreigners do the fighting for them :mamoru:

There is not a single enlisted Legionnaire who is french, but I think all of their officers are french. They always get stuck in those french colony shitholes such as the horn of Africa and whatnot.

15. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

that actually sounds kinda cool.

16. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

you're like a mercenary

17. scottiemac

scottiemac It's time to shoot some hot dogs!

:rofl: OMG, wasn't expecting that one.:rofl:

18. eter

eter New Member

The FFL is not the same thing it used to be.. training is still really, really tough but they don't execute their own, kill women and babies and stuff like that anymore. I've also heard they've been integrated with the French army now and that there are a lot of people from France that join its rank because of the prestige.

19. eter

eter New Member

why? in terms of numbers they're just as big, if not bigger, than the other european powers.

20. eter

eter New Member

just too bad for you they're not looking for obese wannabe fanboys :mamoru2:

21. eter

eter New Member

got this from another forum:

Oh I just love it when someone comes up with totally incorrect misconceptions about the Legion. Mind I sort of expect this mercenary, baby eating, killing machine drivel to come from the mouths of sandal wearing, granola eating, university attending, NDP voting, wankers from lotus land rather than from the people on this board.

The Legion Etranger is an integral part of the French regular army, period. When it was first developed in the early 1800s it was part of the Colonial Army which was a separate entity altogether.

The Colonial Army consisted of the regiments of the Legion and regiments of colonial/native troops raised for and employed in maintaining and expanding the empire. An analogy, although not a good one would be akin to the old British Indian Army. The French Colonial Army more or less ceased to be after the loss of Indo China and Algeria and the remnants of the Legion were incorporated in the regular army.

When formed the Legion was initially prohibited from serving or being based in France. Mind that little rule was conveniently forgotten during the Franco Prussian War, WWI and WWII. Now the units are fully integrated into regular French formations.

For example 1REC (Regiment Etranger Cavalerie) is a light armoured regiment that is part of a French armoured division. It by the way is tasked with protecting the French Strategic Nuclear Missile Silos. 2REP (Regiment Etranger Parachutistes) is an airborne Battalion that is part of the 11th Airborne Division.

Many of the units of the Legion are assigned to brigades and divisions that are part of the Force Action Rapide the French rapid deployment force, a Corps made up of airmobile, airborne, armoured, marine, and mountain divisions. As such they have participated in recent wars and interventions as part of French Government policy, not as hired mercenaries.

Examples are Gulf War 1, West African interventions, and peace keeping in the Balkans and Lebanon. Legion units are more politically expedient in such operations, and better trained, than conscripts.

Some units like 2REP also provide training and security teams to friendly nations in the same way as the British SAS does.

Some of the units of the Legion have been assigned to permanent hardship postings. 3REI (Regiment Etranger Infantier) is based permanently in French Guinea in South America guarding the satellite launching facilities in the jungle there. 13 DBLE
    (Demi Brigade Legion Etranger) was part of the permanent garrison in Djbouti on the horn of Africa.

Entrance into the Legion is for an initial 5-year contract. After successful completion you may be granted French citizenship and a new identity :)eek3:). Twenty years service like in all armies comes with a pension. French nationals are prohibited from joining, although many do pretending to be French Canadians, Belgians and or Swiss.

The officers on the other hand are, aside from a few CFRs, regular French professionals often graduates of St. Cyr the military college. For many a couple of years posting to a Legion unit early in their career is a good step towards high rank later on.

Contrary to popular belief major criminals such as murderers are not admitted. There is a very comprehensive screening process in place. Serious wanted criminals are turned over to the French police and possibly then to Interpol. Minor crimes such as debts or abandonment are ignored. Once in ex wives and creditors will never find you. The Legion will not acknowledge you are there.

Discipline is harsh, perhaps brutal in comparison to most Western European Armies and the CF. There is no SHARP here. Blind obedience to orders is quickly stressed. There are reasons for this.

The recruits range from former soldiers with years of experience to those with no military background at all. Add to this people from various backgrounds, cultures and languages. Everyone starts at the same level. French language training is part of recruit and basic training for those who need it. To be honest it’s a CSMs nightmare come true, but they have to be quickly trained and melded into a cohesive force.

This harsh discipline though is not universal. Like in any army it varies from unit to unit. Discipline and training in 2REP is probably harder than a platoon of floor sweepers at Aubagne, the Legion HQ in southern France. And yes such people exist if your too stupid to be in a fighting unit they find some menial task for you do.

Initially in the early 19th Century battalions were formed of each different language/national group. There were German, Spanish and Italian battalions. Now everyone is mixed together.

Depending on the political/economic circumstances of the world, the make up of the Legion varies. In 1919 it was full of Russians fleeing the Communist and Germans and Austrians from the defeated armies. In 1945 Germans again made up the bulk of recruits, many who would fight and die in Indo China. Now it’s probably full of people from the former Yugoslavia and former Sviet Bloc countries. In between here have been Brits (always a large contingent) Americans, Vietnamese, South Americans, Africans etc etc.

The rep as inhuman killing machines is exaggerated. Yes there have atrocities committed in war, Algeria offering some of the best examples, but that can apply to many armies especially in dirty little guerrilla wars. Legionnaires are more apt to tear apart a bar when drunk but that can apply to a lot of soldiers.

There have been former Legionnaires who have become mercenaries. The most famous or infamous was Bob Denard of Congo and Commoros Islands fame. The most famous mercenary of the 1960-1970s though, Col. Mike Hoare was ex British Army.

Someone mentioned Christian Jennings book A Mouthful of Rocks, which isn’t a bad account of the modern Legion. Jennings though was/is a cry baby, alchoholic, spoiled little rich kid with no self discipline who got tossed from the British TA. He joined the Legion on a lark or out of desperation and deserted twice, being caught the first time. Therefore read it with a grain of salt.

22. Accord

Accord New Member

:ugh2:

159 lbs != fat

23. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

HAHA!! You fat fuck!! :rofl:

24. eter

eter New Member

25. R KriLLz

whatever, i'm just looking for that military experience.
    elite mercenary has a nice ring to it.

fuck france... but i respect that outfit a lot.
    and i liked how they talked to their sgt.
    i always thought the way the marines make you sound off was kinda corny.

after looking into things more... i'm going to the marines to help my country during a time of war.
    but unless i have a fine job waiting for me when i get out, i'm down for the FFL next. looks like an experience and a half.