Freezing problem.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by frozenhubcap, Feb 27, 2006.

1. frozenhubcap

frozenhubcap New Member

So.. lately, my computer has been freezing a lot. It's pretty much random. I can be doing nothing, or surfing the web, or just listening to music and it happens. However, if my computer is playing a movie, and I dont more the mouse for 10 minutes, then I do, it almost always happens.

My computer's not und a lot of pressure. I mean, it's not using half the CPU, I have 200MB of RAM free, it's not running hot at all (and I just cleaned it).

I've checked my system resources, and there isn't anything out fo the ordinary...

Does anyone have any insight as to why this is happening? Any thoughts on how to fix it?

PS. Windows XP Home, Pentium 4 3ghz, 512MB RAM - 128MB for graphics = 384 MB usable RAM.

Anything else you wanna know?

2. Pet3R

Pet3R Active Member

I had that problem before, but I fixed it by replacing my PSU. My hardware wasn't getting enough juice, so it kept freezing whenever I played games, watching movies, or anything that puts the CPU under a load. So maybe that could work for you as well.

Another possibility is your RAM. Your RAM may be defective, so try changing them. When I built the first installment of one of my friends computer (I built the whole thing at first, then he bought upgrades and etc.), his computer kept freezing because of the RAM. It was either deffective or the mobo and CPU were picky about the type. Then he bought new RAM and his computer was working normally afterwards.

Another possibility is that your mobo may be defective (Your northbridge may be the problem). So try using a different mobo. Or your GPU is hanging. It may be running too hot, or the core is shot.

Uhmm....that last possibility that I could think of is your drivers. Update all your hardware with the latest drivers from the company.

And last of all, you can reformat your computer. Delete you current partition through the XP boot up installment, and create a new one, NTFS, etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, good luck.

3. frozenhubcap

frozenhubcap New Member

Thanks for your input. But I guess I failed to meantion I have a laptop and that kind of kills my ability to replace the PSU and mobo easily.

The RAM may be the cause, but it's worked fine until recently.

I just checked all my drivers, and they're all good.

And I was hoping to stay clear of reformatting. I ddi at christmas. :/

4. Pet3R

Pet3R Active Member

A laptop? Hmm...sorry, idk much about laptops. My only advice is to back-up your files on DVD's or CD's and reformat. Other than that, you can go to Fry's and have someone solve the problem for you, or go to Geek Squad at BestBuy.

5. U Think U Know

U Think U Know OT Supporter

Maybe a fan died and it's overheating.

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Windows rots over time. Reinstall windows.

Problem solved.