A&P Freezing insect wing motion

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by TtamNedlog, Sep 18, 2007.

1. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

I've got to do a stopped-action assignment for my intro photog class and I'm not sure what I'll do, but one idea is something with insects.

The film camera I'm using for the class goes to 1/2000. That's not enough to stop bug wings is it?

And how does flash freezing work? The camera only syncs to 1/90 for flash. Won't that cause blurring? Not to mention limit my lighting options. I'm thinking of taking this opportunity to go ahead and buy an external flash (sb600 or sb800) because I've been wanting to get one for a while anyway, and because I read that they can sync much faster with the camera.

Anyway, yeah... Nothing terribly spectacular about this idea, so I'll probably end up going with something else. But for now bug photog's my plan. I hate having to plan ahead with a proposal. =\

EDIT: If none of this made sense... oops. I'm not very well-read in flash photog. =p

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  2. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

"There are many hotshoe flash units out there that have flash durations as short as 1/20,000 second on their lowest power setting. There are few 35mm or digital SLR's with a shutterspeed as fast as 1/8000 second. Thus, using the flash to freeze the wings yields much better results. When a hummingbird is not in direct sunlight and a small aperture is used the flash becomes the only relevant light source and the flash duration makes the shutter speed meaningless. In fact, the shutter speed will be set at the flash sync speed which, on a 35mm or digital SLR, will likely be as low as 1/200 second."

Hmm, think that pretty much answered my question. Disregard folks!

3. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

brb disregarding

4. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

http://www.dyesscreek.com/miscellaneous_pages/howto_1.html

New question. His second to last picture where he truly freezes the hummingbird's wings, he uses 4 flashes. Were 4 flashes necessary? Would a single sb-600 or sb-800 not be able to do that?

And I've never photographed hummingbirds before... If I try this instead of insects, will they get the hell outta dodge when a flash fires? Or will they ignore me and continue feeding?

5. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

yes, 4 flashes were neccesary. heres the reason. first off if you've ever seen a hummingbird you should know they are erratic as fuck. they are in the same spot for a second and then dart off to a different location 3 inches to the right, left, back, up, foward, etc..also, he was shooting at dusk. LASTLY, he was using a telephoto lens and you have to shoot pretty stopped down in order to get something in focus EASILY.

so what does that mean? sure he could have shot at f/2.8 with one flash, but the chances of getting a keeper is SUPER low considering what i stated above. he shot at f/11 to get a good keeper rate and used 4 flashes to illuminate the fuck out of the thing.

so basically, if this intro class you are using film i'd really reccomend NOT taking pictures of humming birds because you probably wont get any in focus on a whole roll. if you've got money to burn go for it then

6. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

:rofl: Great wording. Anyway thanks for the explanation.

Yeah :wtc: I should probably think of an idea that wouldn't require me to go buy a flash and waste several rolls of film.

7. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

plus that guy used lowest power setting = fastest flash speed

so you need mass numbers of flashes

sorry dawg.