MMA Freestyle BJJ Beginners Diary : Day 1 1/2

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by SCirone, Mar 6, 2007.

1. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

A couple people showed interest in my other thread, so I thought I would make a "diary" about my progression. If no one cares, or this isnt the proper place, I will just stop.

*Note : I say day 1 /12 because I spent alittle time rolling yesterday and learning a few things from other students at an open mat day.

Everything we started with today began with a jab block. First we were shown how to move in for a takedown with one arm around the waist and one around the back of the knee. From there we laid them on their back, blocked the leg we wernt holding with our matching leg, and doing a figure four (I think that is what it was called) ankle lock where we twisted out body to the side and up while standing. After this we were shown a takedown where we put both hands around the waist, slide around the back and cupped our heal behind their leg and twisted their body back and to the side. From there we positioned an armbar. After we had the armbar down we learn to escape by doing what he called the "thumb down" escape where we bent out our arm, slide our body away, and positioned up and pulled the arm out. After that we learned to try and push their leg that is above our head back behind our head and position ourselves up into their guard.

After we had this down we started to work from the guard. While we had the opponent in our guard, we were shown how to push off and turn it into an armbar from the bottom. After this we were shown how to turn it into an oomaplata (which I keep forgetting how to turn my legs once I roll them up) and how to turn it into an arm squeeze (no idea what it is called) if they pulled the bottom arm out and we were able to cup their upper arm wrist behind our chin. Then we were shown how to turn it into a triangle choke if they tried to twist back into it. My instructor said I was picking up on things very fast and that, with the exception of keep messing up my leg positioning on the omaplata, I was doing everything correct.

After we were done with this, I stayed with some guys and rolled for around 35-45 minutes (I am trying to learn as much as I can, so any opportunity to roll I do it.) While I was rolling with a guy that is around 185 (I am 215) who was alittle more experienced than me. I was able to use my weight to a pretty good advantage. I was able to pull off an arm triangle and arm bar that I had learned today and the day before against him. My instructor was also really impressed when I apparently improvised what he said was a good fore arm choke from the guard (I slid my left arm behind his head, grabbed by left bicep with my right arm and positioned my fore arm under his chin and squeezed.)

And then I rolled against a strong experienced wrestler that was around my weight. All I can say is .... god damn. I was able to defend from getting submitted pretty well, but I didnt have much control at all and he finally pulled an arm triangle on me. And then I continued to get abused and tired out for about 5 more minutes. I was able to get alittle control and get myself into his guard, but then I learned why you never hold yourself straight up with your arms on his chest :uh:.

All in all, I felt that I learn alot and had a good time. Now I am headed to the tub.

2. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

I also think that at one point my instructor was testing my motives as to why I was starting to come to class as to whether I was caught up in the new UFC hype or was there for genuine reasons. He asked me what I wanted to get out of the classes, MMA, Grappling, or just exercise? I told him that I wanted to get in shape while learning, and if I got to the level that he felt I could do a couple grappling tournaments, I would like to try competing in those. I said that I felt MMA would be something what is way out there and that I would have alot to learn before I even thought about that.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  3. Optamix

Optamix New Member

The correct answer should have been. "Because Chuck can't grapple. He just knocks people out!! If I can get him on his back I could beat him@!!!"

4. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

I was going to respond with "To submit Rickson" but I dont know how that would have gone over :mamoru:

5. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

this isn't a bad idea, i think i might do one of these diaries myself. chronicle my knowledge/learning.

congrats on the fast learning curve, i feel the same way with my classes.

6. m2e

m2e OT Supporter

keep it all in 1 thread :o

7. Optamix

Optamix New Member

:squint:

Your mom.

8. Searcher

Searcher New Member

Wow that is a lot to learn in one or two classes.....I am on my fifth class as of last night and all I am doing is practicing getting to side mount or while I have someone in my guard going for the arm bar or triangle.....class after class during free roll until I can submit at least three more white belts with stripes.....I have learned various escapes and chokes, but I am sticking with the basics for right now to get a solid foundation....

9. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah I wish I had kept a journal from the beginning. I know I've forgotten more shit than I have useful tools in my arsenal

10. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

definitely, as i began writing what i'd learned and want to learn, i realized i've got a ton of techniques at my fingertips.

i also added a "what i did well, what i need to work on" sections.

11. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

ive been keeping a diary on classes for awhile. details of teqniques we learned that day, some notes on anything that stood out, anything i need to work on. its very usefull, one of these days ive got to get it on my pc, so i can organize it better...

12. Searcher

Searcher New Member

We have started filming our classes during the technical aspect to show what we are learning......