freelance programming

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by HY, Aug 13, 2008.

1. HY

HY New Member

Okay, so i was at this restaurant and i worked out a deal to get them into the computer age. i wrote some invoicing and order system for them to make pies productively and have orders placed online. i worked out something with them in an under the table type deal where i got some money up front and mid way through they decide they dont want it anymore. so i told them to go fuck themselves and i am just going to sell it to someone else. anyone have any advice on doing these types of projects?

2. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Have them sign a contract upfront so you don't have to tell them to fuck themselves, just that your going to sue them.

(I have no experience with that type of work but contracts are just common sense for anything business related)

3. HY

HY New Member

yeah this was the first time i was doing any projects. i am still in college and this was just a summer project. i wouldnt really consider it effort wasted since i can still reuse the code and if nothing else i can set up a pizza scam site where people place orders and wait and wait and wait.

4. Frequency

Frequency New Member

you'll fit in here jsut fine

5. awns729

awns729 New Member

www.bingmenus.com and so many other websites already do things like this, so no, i got no ideas for you lol

6. HY

HY New Member

hrmm, i was thinking of turning it into something like that, but i was originally just going to do it for one restaurant

7. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

Where are you located? We could use someone to write some custom job tracking, invoicing software for us. We issue P.O's for purchases which is essentially a binding contract.

8. HY

HY New Member

SE texas, send me a pm with more information about what you want

9. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

get paid by the hour have them pay you ever 1 or 2 weeks.

10. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Freelance programming is dangerous business imo... get in with a nice large company, make 60-80k a year with full benefits and be happy

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Just depends on your contract. Get an hourly job making $200K cash and be happy. See how that works?

Rules for consulting:

1) There must be a contract.

2) DO NOT bid the job for completion unless YOU specify it. Then, any changes to the spec adds to the cost.

3) You want to get paid hourly, with your estimate only a guideline for how long you THINK it will take, not an actual maximum. You want to get paid every week or two, on no more than Net-7.

The worst situation you can get into is the one you were in.

That being said - why would they need a custom version of something that is already out there? Isn't that probably why they cancelled your project? As a consultant delivering a solution, your job is to evaluate whats out there and not implement something new if you don't have to.

12. HY

HY New Member

yeah mostly playing catch up but i was going to add a few things bonus touches that i though were cool. it was going to send sms alerts or comperized phone calls to notify when the pies on the road and some other stuff, but it was mostly to offer their customers the same convenience that the larger chains were offering as far as placing orders online goes.