WEB freelance designer / geek who is totally lost

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by conRAD, Aug 14, 2007.

1. conRAD

conRAD New Member

Heya folks. Glad to see this forum exists.

To keep things short and sweet - I have been toying around in web design for almost nine years now. Flash is my strong point, I can do actionscripting, I've been reading books on php and sql, and I really love making webpages.

But, I cant seem to find any work!

I freelanced around a lot last year, and the only good money I made was working with another web developer, doing the flash work while she did the layout and worked with the client. Other than that, every potential job falls through, wont pay, or is too indecisive on what kind of site they want.

does anyone have any suggestions to make some cash? Be it advertising in a new way to attract clients, using my skills to do something else on the web and make some spare cash, etc.

I don't work right now and really need to start pulling in some money. Anyone else out there with similar problems? Anyone willing to lend a hand or some advice?

2. pkr

pkr Guest

www.krop.com first result right now... there's tons of work.

3. i used to go through the various "bidding" freelance sites, and i definitely made some cash off of that. it all depends on how aggressive you are on bidding, how well-stated your profile/skillset is, and if your work and portfolio stand out from the hundreds of out-of-country freelancers out there on those sites. trust me, there are tons and TONS of them who will definitely bid way lower than your bid, and sometimes people will hire them. but i started noticing that a lot of people are trying to avoid these types of freelancers which is good news for you. it definitely helps to be a paying member of those freelance sites as well so you get a higher number of bids alotted per month.

i also use craigslist. i email my portfolio, cover letter, resume, references, etc. to each and every job that i knew that i could do. i browsed the lists of states and cities that i didn't live in and still e-mailed as many posters as i could. i did this every week and every week i would be banned temporarily from craigslist for sending out too many e-mails, but it worked. i pulled in enough jobs to keep me busy while i wasn't working on personal projects and projects for school.

through craigslist, i've met many clients that i still work with today, one being a type of real actual job where they continually go to me for work. the catch is now i have to fax invoices to them and they are 1099'd for taxes, but they are a reliable source of income and are not stingy with their payments either. it's even normal for them to pay me $100 bonuses for asking for new revisions and changes for their clients through me and usually give me extra cash whenever they send a check late.

point is to just be aggressive and take any and all jobs that you can finish. sooner or later, if your work speaks for itself, they will come back for more.

4. kunt

kunt New Member

I find most of my current projects through Craigslist

5. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

The work for someone like yourself is in the Adult area my suggestion find some adult webmaster forums they are a bit hidden usually but PM me for a few forums if you want.

6. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Do you have your own website and portfolio? You should get something setup if you don't already.

7. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

Most of my jobs come through personal websites I've created. People see those, send me a message asking if I can do theirs :dunno:

About 95% of the requests come through ClearCheckbook.com

8. conRAD

conRAD New Member

on doing a portfolio / personal site - I do have one, but I still need to finish it. My major problem with making it a bit more appealing, is that any work I have done in the last year or so has been through other designers to do flash work for their own projects, and I signed off on non disclosures.

I do have some work that was for myself, or was not under an NDA - but not much, and some is old and unimpressive. I figured the best way to counter this is to make a really outstanding personal site, but I still need to finish.

In terms of marketing on a personal site - does anyone have some links to some real stand-out sites? I've always had conflicting feelings regarding if the site should be more or less about me as an individual, if it should be more artistic than business like - and if I should keep a separate page all together for offering my services, and then another strictly as a portfolio.

Thanks to everyone who replied with links and tips. I'll be sure to check out Krop - I saw it when it originally launched and it was a bit scarce, but now it looks good and loaded.

For a long time I tried getting work at scriptlance, but as someone above pointed out, I was usually beaten to the punch by an offshore designer charging 1/10th what I was bidding.

Going to spend the day revamping my folio. Thanks again for all the advice.

9. 05s4

05s4 Active Member

when i had my web design business i used to get a lot of work off of elance.com until all the people from india took it over

10. I used to do private design work for Quombo which was an online firm. Everything there was signed off on a NDA, but I made really good money for designs I wouldn't put on my portfolio anyway. I don't know where their clients came from, but they had really low standards.

11. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

I think you know what your first step is... get your personal site up showing off as much work as you can.

After that, it's just marketing yourself by adding your name and info to as many sites as you can... or by being lucky enough to have a site that brings people to you :o